ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Floods in Aus (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/867893-floods-in-aus.html)

The Zohan 12 January 2011 04:59 PM

Floods in Aus

My sister and one niece and her kids live in the 'burbs' of Brisbane. had an email fro her last night saying they where OK but bracing for the worse to come.

Not heard from them since. looks like email is down and cannot get her on her mobile and hope all is well.

looks terrible: http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland

Jamie 12 January 2011 05:08 PM

16 threads down

David Lock 12 January 2011 05:10 PM

Great quote on Beeb news at lunch time

Long serious interview with Kevin (?) Rudd now Foreign Secretary. Final Beeb question being "And what are you hoping for now Mr Rudd?"

To which he replied "I hope it stops bloody raining"

They say it like it is :lol1:

dl

Jamie 12 January 2011 05:17 PM

Sky did a classic this morning some bloke on his surf board and yachts going down the main highway in bris.

the mayor said >we are ok but please send us funds< wtf

Chip 12 January 2011 05:20 PM

Looks really bad out there at the moment. Good luck to them.

Chip

Funkii Munkii 12 January 2011 06:12 PM

We have friends in Coomera just off the Gold Coast, they were told to be ready to leave 48 hours ago, had an e-mail from them yesterday saying it was bad cant get through now as the power is out, knowing the areas involved it's bloody hard to comprehend what is happening.

Rudd was always said it as he saw it, as PM one of his classic comments was "That means temporary borrowings. People have to understand that because there's going to be the usual political **** storm, sorry, political storm."

Australia's very own Blair, did a similar job on Oz in 12 months managed to go from A$11 billion in the black to A$50 billion in the red, Tony would have been proud.

dpb 12 January 2011 06:16 PM

They seem to have done very well so far , very few fatalities

compare that with pakistan !

f1_fan 12 January 2011 06:19 PM

It's worse than you might imagine. An area the size of France and Gernamny is basically underwater and there seems to be no let up. My friend called me from there to say Toowoomba was about to be deluged and even though they had some warning many were caught by the ferocity of the flood waters.

The cost to the country will be beyond comprehension :(

Jamie 12 January 2011 06:20 PM

No floods in pakistan dpb unless i have missed the news?

Maz 12 January 2011 06:24 PM

It's an absolute catastrophe. Hope you hear from them very soon Paul.

joz8968 12 January 2011 06:40 PM

What about that woman trying to hold on herself, and also holding onto her kid. The kid got swept away out of her grasp. Awful. Truly awful.

Jamie 12 January 2011 06:42 PM

Link joz ?

dpb 12 January 2011 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jamie (Post 9817184)
No floods in pakistan dpb unless i have missed the news?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-10896849

Here you go Jamie, i reckon its still fresh in their minds anyway !

Jamie 12 January 2011 07:21 PM

Oh that :(

Simon C 12 January 2011 08:19 PM

1 of my company has an off shoot in Brisbane. As a precaution the office has been shut (its on the 23rd floor) and all server activities switched to its DR site.

I know a few staff have had to evacuate their homes and I haven't seen them on faceache so can't see how everything is.

Lee247 12 January 2011 08:26 PM

It's tragic. :(
Two people I know over there, not sure where though. Hope they are ok.
Darren and Michelle (LittleMissWRX)

Jamie 12 January 2011 08:47 PM

Thanks for the code lee :)

I now have all three and you were the missing link :)

RobJenks 13 January 2011 05:46 AM

It has been announced that sharks have migrated from the river into flooded streets - Bull sharks are known man eaters and frequent rivers in Oz .

Leslie 13 January 2011 11:07 AM

I feel desperately sorry for them in that disaster and I hope the monsoon ends as soon as possible.

I found it dreadful as well to see those horses and cows desperately trying to swim to safety.

Les

dpb 13 January 2011 12:14 PM

Sharks have had a bad deal lately , good luck to them if they hook a nice plump Darleen :thumb:

Jamie 13 January 2011 12:21 PM

Southport sharks are not doing well :)

Oh you mean the fish type?

andythejock01wrx 13 January 2011 12:36 PM

G/f's mum is A Queenslander (as is she of course)

Had a webcam call with her mum last night. Her own house isn't flooded as of yet (although they've had more rain in the first 12 days of this year than they had all of last year!). she was travelling down from Cairns by 4wd last week and they were trapped waiting for floods to subside for 3 days. Eventually took a detour which took 3 more days!

G/f has friends in Brisbane too. They are ok to date although they have a bungalow near the sea! Centre is effectively closed down with no public transport.

Hope things improve for them soon and that they have seen the worst!

Funkii Munkii 13 January 2011 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lee247 (Post 9817567)
It's tragic. :(
Two people I know over there, not sure where though. Hope they are ok.
Darren and Michelle (LittleMissWRX)

Michelle lives in Sydney well away from harm :thumb:

dpb 13 January 2011 01:56 PM

I keep having to tell the gfriend, whose daughter is at Monash in Melbourne , shes nowhere near the bloody water lol :rolleyes:

Jamie 13 January 2011 04:00 PM

851 miles apart dpb :)

Lee247 13 January 2011 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Funkii Munkii (Post 9818669)
Michelle lives in Sydney well away from harm :thumb:

Got a message from Darren this morning, they are fine too :thumb:

RAJ27 13 January 2011 10:39 PM

I live in the suburbs of Brissie (well 20 miles out to be honest). We are all good, but the lower lying parts of the city are a mess. Loads of sh1ty silt everywhere is the major problem at the moment.

There's no bull sharks! The guy that said was joking when he said that. Snakes seem to be very miffed at the moment and are very dangerous.

Unfortunately it looks to be a global weather pattern at the moment. Brazil have had hundred's dead in their floods.

hodgy0_2 13 January 2011 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by joz8968 (Post 9817237)
What about that woman trying to hold on herself, and also holding onto her kid. The kid got swept away out of her grasp. Awful. Truly awful.

heartbreaking, unreadable tbh

andythejock01wrx 13 January 2011 11:01 PM

Heard the story of a 13 yr old lad who was offered rescue but asked them to take his 10 yr old brother first. When the rescuers went back for him he was gone. :(

Desperately sad. Equally brave.

joz8968 13 January 2011 11:06 PM

There's been so many tragic stories.

Amazing, that other story of the woman who summoned the strength to hold on and got winched to saftey! But lost her dog. :(