ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Insurance (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/)
-   -   write off and insurance, what happens (https://www.scoobynet.com/insurance-19/867873-write-off-and-insurance-what-happens.html)

Ray T 12 January 2011 02:19 PM

write off and insurance, what happens

What happens if you have an "un economic repair cost" you can get paid out (less any excess) . Does your insurance remain in place i.e. your two months into a years cover , does it carry on/over to a replacement car, or do you lose it. This is full comp. No other parties involved.

NINJA ED 12 January 2011 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ray T (Post 9816711)
What happens if you have an "un economic repair cost" you can get paid out (less any excess) . Does your insurance remain in place i.e. your two months into a years cover , does it carry on/over to a replacement car, or do you lose it. This is full comp. No other parties involved.

My sister wrote her car off a week ago everything cancelled m8 send all docs back :thumb:

fivetide 12 January 2011 02:40 PM

The policy is still in force. You might have to pay an admin fee or if you want to swap for another car that attracts a higher premium the difference in the cost of cover.

5t.

my94wrx 24 January 2011 12:07 AM

it depends who you are with, when i wrote my car off a-plan downgraded my policy from fully comp to 3rd party only, this was until the passed a vic check.

chris84 30 January 2011 08:35 PM

I pay the year up front so I'd expect them to honour my policy for the full term regardless of whether they had to pay out. Especially if I'd only just started the policy otherwise I would be over £1300 out of pocket between the cost of insurance and excess.

Admiral who I'm currently with don't charge to change your car on the policy, done it a couple of time now. Would be good to hear from one of the insurance reps on here, Gary from Keith Michaels in particular since my new policy is with them.

Moley 30 January 2011 09:28 PM

90% of companies will allow you to swap onto a new vehicle on the annual policy you've already paid for.
They'll charge more for a higher rated car, but you won't get a refund going to a lower rated car.

There are a couple of companies who'll cancel the policy though if you have the car written off.

chris84 30 January 2011 11:13 PM

What's the deal with my new policy then? You put it through with Amlin? Do they cancel the policy or run to the end of the term?

This isn't relevant but I thought I'd heard of Amlin when you mentioned them. I used to manage their databases and servers through a 'lloyds of london' tech supplier. The other company you mentioned that we didn't go for 'Highways' I also know well, my partners an underwriter for their parent company. Small world in the insurance industry

Moley 30 January 2011 11:20 PM

They'd honour the annual policy