ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Anyone got married in the Seychelles? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/867388-anyone-got-married-in-the-seychelles.html)

P1Fanatic 09 January 2011 12:15 PM

Anyone got married in the Seychelles?

We really love the indian ocean especially Mauritius and the Maldives. As you are unable to get married in the Maldives we are now looking at Mauritius and the Seychelles. We are leaning towards the latter as neither of us have been before. We are planning to take family and close friends.

Has anyone got married in the Seychelles and if so where did you stay and any recommendations?

Cheers
Simon

David Lock 09 January 2011 12:49 PM

I think Seychelles is a fantastic place although it has got knocked on SN for reasons beyond me.

Didn't get married there but if they do marriages I would head for La Digue and stay at La Digue Island Lodge. I am sure they will have a contact on net and you could ask. May be marriage on Mahe (main island) and honeymoon at La Digue or Praslin.

dl

Trout 09 January 2011 12:51 PM

Yeah - don't go to the Maldives ;)

Maldives Wedding

Hope you find what you are looking for :)

pimmo2000 09 January 2011 01:00 PM

No but I sell seashells by the seashore.

brendy76 09 January 2011 01:03 PM

We got married in Cyprus (nissi beach) to be honest it was fantastic, I couldnt get married somewhere that didn't speak english (I can speak a little french and spanish though) as it makes things so much more difficult. I have seen that maldives link before and it is truely awful.

hodgy0_2 09 January 2011 05:38 PM

nothing wrong with the place -- tropical paradise

it is the people, think of the swiss transported to a tropical paradise and you get the idea (really unpleasant)

(and yes I have been there)

TopBanana 09 January 2011 06:20 PM

I spent my honeymoon on Desroches island in the Seychelles, best holiday ever. Island with hardly any people there so we normally had our own palm tree lined beach.

David Lock 09 January 2011 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9810510)

it is the people, think of the swiss transported to a tropical paradise and you get the idea (really unpleasant)

Can't agree with that but there you go :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g?t=1294598024

A crowded beach........

dl

P1Fanatic 09 January 2011 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9809976)
Yeah - don't go to the Maldives ;)

Maldives Wedding

Hope you find what you are looking for :)

As above you cant get married in the Maldives (only blessed) so we wont be going there. That said its a lovely place and that vid could happen in any non english speaking country :)

P1Fanatic 09 January 2011 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 9810754)
Can't agree with that but there you go :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...g?t=1294598024

A crowded beach........

dl

What part was that David?

Now reread your first post and assume the same place :)

P1Fanatic 09 January 2011 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by TopBanana (Post 9810687)
I spent my honeymoon on Desroches island in the Seychelles, best holiday ever. Island with hardly any people there so we normally had our own palm tree lined beach.

Will check it out. Problem is we will be taking family & possibly some close friends so have to be a it bit more sympathetic on the budget.

P1Fanatic 09 January 2011 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9810510)

I must admit from the many reviews on TA we've now read that does come across a bit. Which seems to be the opposite from Mauritius where they are always so friendly.

David Lock 09 January 2011 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic (Post 9810766)
What part was that David?

Now reread your first post and assume the same place :)

That was Anse Lazio beach in Praslin where we stayed at The Paradise (Sun?) hotel.

The most beautiful beach we found was Anse Source d'Argent on La Digue.

Mrs L says make sure you book a beach chalet away from main complex.

One thing to remember is that there really is a lot to do if you want to. Marine parks, untouched ancient forest (Vallee de Mai) and, of course, the male Coco de Mer tree is guaranteed to get any bride excited :)

Oh and the locals are charming!!

pm if you any more gen needed.

David

hodgy0_2 09 January 2011 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic (Post 9810774)
I must admit from the many reviews on TA we've now read that does come across a bit. Which seems to be the opposite from Mauritius where they are always so friendly.

precisely -- and David has unwittingly backed me up

absolute paradise, geographically (as I said) and boy do the Seychellois know it -- as arrogant as the Swiss but not as efficient

if you go – when you finally get served at a bar/restaurant, order at least 3 beers as it will be an age before you see the waiter again

we heard much better stories of the Maldives Mauritius etc

seriously -- do your research

edited to add - I am sure people have had good experiances, we did not (and others we have met feltn the same)

David Lock 09 January 2011 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9811096)

precisely -- and David has unwittingly backed me up

? ?

d

hodgy0_2 10 January 2011 11:05 AM

by posting a beautiful picture postcard beach – I stated in my original post the place is visually stunning (however, having been to quite a few tropical paradises, they all tend to look like much of a muchness after a while)

it is the population that are the problem – if your only requirement is a visually stunning “tropical paradise” then it fits the bill, any interaction with local culture and people - forget it – all in my opinion

David Lock 10 January 2011 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9812141)
by posting a beautiful picture postcard beach – I stated in my original post the place is visually stunning (however, having been to quite a few tropical paradises, they all tend to look like much of a muchness after a while)

it is the population that are the problem – if your only requirement is a visually stunning “tropical paradise” then it fits the bill, any interaction with local culture and people - forget it – all in my opinion

;)

Well I haven't had the luxury of getting fed up with tropical paradises and they'll suit me for a while ;) Plus Seychelles is a lot more than beautiful beaches and sunsets. I posted the picture because a previous poster had commented on the empty beaches. It certainly did not "back up" your own views about the locals being a surly bunch!

I stand by my opinion about the locals. Let me provide two examples of their friendly and trusting nature.

1) I wrecked my video camera by getting it too wet. Local chap in hotel who I had met briefly in the bar the night before just lent me his own camera for the rest of our holiday without a second thought.

2) Went to a local restaurant but ran out of money - "no problem, just pay us tomorrow"

You don't get that attitude in many places.

david

But please note I did not get into deep discussions about politics, gays, muslims, cats or PS Lewis.........

hodgy0_2 10 January 2011 01:42 PM

David

sounds like you had very good experiances with the locals, to be clear we did not have terrible ones, they just seem to give off an air of not really giving a sh1t.

Which I will admit is not a disaster (in the grand scheme of things) just irritating

but I would love the OP to go, get married, and prove me wrong

David Lock 10 January 2011 02:12 PM

We'll have to wait and see...... :)

d

Ant 10 January 2011 02:25 PM

We got married abroad and loved it!!

We was looking at the Seychelles but due to cost for family members and the mother in law gets travel sickness bad we opted for a private lagoon wedding in turkey.

We can't wait to go back again with the little one .

Sorry not much advice but all the best and enjoy it.

My advice is don't go for a full suit :lol1:

Ps when are you thinking of going ? We have friends going later this year getting married at Seychelles I can let you know how it turned out