ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Stealing a Scooby (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/867343-stealing-a-scooby.html)

Taffy223 08 January 2011 11:33 PM

Stealing a Scooby

There's a few threads knocking about mentioning trackers and security etc.
I noticed many comments about how easy a scooby is to steal. I have a 02 bug with standard locks/immobilizer/alarm etc I have a tracker fitted which may or may not be active. I'm considering the pros and cons of trackers currently. Do I continue or begin.:wonder:

What worries me are the comments on scooby security and who can point me in a direction of vulnerability.
I don't want the how to guide on how to steal a scooby , but I'd be interested in the best ways to defeat johnny thief.

On my old pug 309 gti I had fitted an ignition cut out switch well hidden but easy to use every time you exited the car.....is this recommended for scoobies

What do you recommend as cheap theft prevention ..

BTW
I don't have room for a large dog

I have seen mention of alarms/trackers that can phone with sim cards but have no knowledge of them..any good? price ?

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Taffy

Jimbob 08 January 2011 11:35 PM

Mine 1995 Jap import, has no steering lock, no standard alarm or immobiliser.
So have a Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser, and also a Tracker Horizon GPS jobbie.

But do as much as you can to secure and/or immobilise your car, as tbh the more the better.

99greenwagon 08 January 2011 11:39 PM

if someone clever wants your car,they will take it!(unfortunetly)

bushiwarrior 08 January 2011 11:39 PM

clifford blackjaxx

scooby2010. 08 January 2011 11:49 PM

disk lok and a good alarm

Paulo P 08 January 2011 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon (Post 9809351)
if someone clever wants your car,they will take it!(unfortunetly)

That's true and that's why they now steal the keys :mad: When I leave mine outside and I'm not using it I remove the ECU, because of my mod's they can't simply plug in another ECU :norty:

dunx 09 January 2011 12:02 AM

A kill switch in the fuel pump circuit is a good idea, I have a fuel cut-off solenoid in mine. Add a disklock and the alarm + immobiliser + tracker and you've done as much as possible.

Blackjack anti-hijack would be next on the list.

dunx

99greenwagon 09 January 2011 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Paulo P (Post 9809373)
That's true and that's why they now steal the keys :mad: When I leave mine outside and I'm not using it I remove the ECU, because of my mod's they can't simply plug in another ECU :norty:

arre you a thief?:lol1: very clever mate:thumb:

Mrfastbaz 09 January 2011 12:10 AM

if we had a warmer climate here in england i could always leave my 2 snakes in the car at night he he bit of a shock when you open the door and there are 2 5 foot long snakes looking at you ,,,, and for good measure could always throw in my 4 foot 10 pound heavy tegu lizard has claws like razors and lovely teeth just like a shark ;)

99greenwagon 09 January 2011 12:15 AM

i was thinking maybe leave my 2 male rotties in the car.not pups neither lol.thay would do me proud,but fook me they would make a hell of a mess in the car lol

yellowsierra 09 January 2011 12:37 AM

Disc lock is good as its means someone has to sit there and cut/break the thing of which takes time which he has not much of
Having a "kill switch" is fine but is easyily over come by just running a simple live from say a boot light etc to were its needed once you have found out
Removable Boss is also good and from Momo as well
Gear Lock which is a locking bar throught the selector, not the soppy thing that goes over the handbreak and gear knob as you just have to recline the seat and push hard enough with your foot and they break.
I think what you have to do is try and think what will make the job of knicking your car harder and as good as electrical things are, physical things make a real differeance and can be time consuming to break/hack off
Tracker that you can call for its location is good but you car is gone so its prevention we are after really.

Paulo P 09 January 2011 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon (Post 9809381)
arre you a thief?:lol1: very clever mate:thumb:

No mate, I just think like one to beat them :lol1:

They know that we unplug sensors etc but if you can't plug in another ECU that really f*cks them :lol1:

99greenwagon 09 January 2011 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Paulo P (Post 9809447)

They know that we unplug sensors etc but if you can't plug in another ECU that really f*cks them :lol1:

:lol1::thumb:

dj_akademix 09 January 2011 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by scooby2010. (Post 9809366)
disk lok and a good alarm

disk lok, factory fitted alarm (GB270) and traffic master trackstar.

If anyone steals that now I guess they needed it more than me...

TonyBurns 09 January 2011 08:03 AM

Most thieves just break into your house nowerdays so I would concentrate on improving your homes security also ;)
Otherwise its as much visible deterrents as possible, disc lok etc

Tony:)

midnight 09 January 2011 10:20 AM

For about £70 i would recommend a disclock,as they are damn near impossible to get off unless you have a lot of time. When I bought my legacy GTB on picking it up i realised that it never even had an alarm on it :eek:. 1st stop was the local halfords in bristol to buy a disclock. I still use it every time i park my car and along with the factory immobiliser and the cat 1 alarm and immobilizer the only way they will get my car is if they get my keys or tow it away on a low loader.

Incidentally a gent locked his car at a carpark in leamington spa a few months ago with his disclock on,and his wife forgot to bring the disclock key :cuckoo:. I called out the AA for him as i am a member dispite trying my disclock key - no joy . The AA bloke said it was better for the bloke to get the train back to Northampton :mad: and get the keys,as it would probably take a good while to drill the lock out with some special tipped drills

musso2010 09 January 2011 10:34 AM

Disclock for me also. Its a visual deterrant more than anything.

BrownPantsRacing 09 January 2011 11:06 AM

Unfortunately, if they want the car then they will find a way to take it. My friend did everything to imobilize his car but the thriving idiots still broke in and towed it away. He found it totally stripped shell and wheels only burned out in a ditch 12 hours later.

But I'd say to have a chance of putting them off a cat 1 alarm immoboliser and a steering lock is a good start. And always take your keys upstairs with you at night!

beef-on-the-bone 09 January 2011 11:18 AM

my car was cat1 and immobilised, still took drove it away, after towing away to start out of earshot (would definately hear mine starting!!)

like it's been said, if they want it bad enough they'll take it, not a car that is stolen on a spur of the moment thing, they would check it out a few times as it would be a specific car they were after :(

yellowsierra 09 January 2011 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by musso2010 (Post 9809726)
Disclock for me also. Its a visual deterrant more than anything.

Exactly my point. £ for £ nothing comes close :thumb:

Another good one is a Peddle lock

http://www.loc-king.co.uk/how_to_use.htm

Thats £150 ish is not a lot for a nice bit of security:thumb:

pinkypurkhardt 09 January 2011 11:50 AM

all well and good but as said if they want your car they will just break into your house and take the keys and if they want it bad enough they will come into your bedroom and make you give them the keys by force and leave you tied up (happened to a mate after his v8 vantage)

ginger321 09 January 2011 12:09 PM

Just lock it set the alarm, use something like a disklock too.
Check your doors and windows close all your blinds and curtains so they cant see in then smash the window and grab the keys or leave your keys somewhere safe. Keep your mobile phone next to your bed and thats about as much as we can do sadly.

stevebt 09 January 2011 12:24 PM

Years ago when Astra GTE's were the car to have I had a few attempted thefts on it so I started reclining the chair forward and chaining the seat to the steering wheel and alomng with the multi-lock and cat1 alarm it was as good as I could get :D

jura11 09 January 2011 01:52 PM

Hi matey my car has been robbed and i have fitted Toad ai606,Tracker.If someone want your car,will be have your car(if its your car have fitted security or no),some ba5tards use Alarm grabbers(which kick out the the any alarm,these grabbers use ba5tards which robbed my car).
Tracker is good at some point,but is still big but,if someone stole your car and sell your car on parts....

Jura

Flaps 09 January 2011 01:58 PM

Ask yourself this, the tracker will cost around £130 a year, it will save you only about £30 on your insurance. Would you really want the car back after it's been taken (assuming they found it?) If you would then spend the extra £100, if not then don't bother.

SpecDscooby 09 January 2011 03:21 PM

Admiral told me on the phone the cost of the tracker would not be saved on insurance costs. Nice and honest = tracker fitted, not subscribed.

As above i would rather not see the car again for fear the car left would have been ragged sh1tless by some spastic F@knutz pikeys, who spent 12 hrs sh1tting and p1ssing in my baby.
Flip to this is professional thieves, and it will never been seen again.

EH52WRX 09 January 2011 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Paulo P (Post 9809447)

:thumb: Very clever fella.

Ginge ! 09 January 2011 05:06 PM

im gonna sound proper off here,,,,,,,, but i have insurance so just deal with what happens

oh also park mine in a garage and its in a zillion bits at the min and being a classic V3 STI is worth about as much as the screwdriver the theif will be carrying to steal it

Terminator X 09 January 2011 05:13 PM

I don't understand how crooks / anyone can bypass the immobilizer ... it cuts power & fuel so how an earth can a tea leaf turn that back on again & start the car :wonder:

TX.

PS

Pin Lock is supposed to be good, there is a bar that locks the car in gear & is almost impossible to remove without they key.

NEILB1 09 January 2011 05:13 PM

rhino driveway post like to see them drive of with that in front