ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   boosrt controllers (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/867143-boosrt-controllers.html)

scoobyman2007 07 January 2011 10:41 PM

boosrt controllers

what one to go for

apexi avcr controller

HYBRID ELECTRONIC BOOST CONTROLLERS: SBC-D-(SE)

prodriverules 07 January 2011 10:44 PM

what wood you go for

apexi avcr controller FTW :thumb:

Paulo P 07 January 2011 11:04 PM

I've got an AVCR and wouldn't use anything else, it does exactly what I need :)

bigarf 07 January 2011 11:24 PM

can only comment on the avcr as its the only one i have used,and it was an excellent piece of kit.

krazycrab 08 January 2011 10:17 AM

for the money bud u cant go wrong with the gizzmo ibc excellent piece of kit and you can get the launch control interface for it too.

fingerfatty 08 January 2011 10:43 AM

i will be selling my apexi avcr once its replaiced in a few weeks , i hate it lol

scoobyman2007 08 January 2011 11:13 AM

And this HKS EVC Turbo boost contoller

Paulo P 08 January 2011 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by fingerfatty (Post 9807466)
i will be selling my apexi avcr once its replaiced in a few weeks , i hate it lol

Why do you hate it?

fingerfatty 08 January 2011 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Paulo P (Post 9807633)
Why do you hate it?

im scared to touch it , prefer the ecu to deal with it personally and forget it

Paulo P 08 January 2011 12:36 PM

Don't touch it then :lol1: I just leave mine alone :D

fingerfatty 08 January 2011 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Paulo P (Post 9807691)
Don't touch it then :lol1: I just leave mine alone :D

i touched it :brickwall curiosity got the better of me while sitting in traffic ended up losing the settings for the high boost setup :mad:

Paulo P 08 January 2011 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by fingerfatty (Post 9807723)
i touched it :brickwall curiosity got the better of me while sitting in traffic ended up losing the settings for the high boost setup :mad:

Whoops! :lol: Who set it up for you? Have you asked them how it was set up?

harvey 08 January 2011 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyman2007 (Post 9807014)
what one to go for

apexi avcr controller

The SE is a new boost controller £150 posted and comes with a three port boost solenoid valve and represents very good value for money. two boost settings, switchable on the fly, in cabin adjustment and relatively easy to install.
Good bit of kit. Real value for money if you want a straight forward electronic boost controller.

AVC-R. Twice the price, far more sophisticated and again good value for money if you need a more complex boost controller with in gear boost and display of various values like boost, rpm, WG duty cycle etc.

Terminator X 08 January 2011 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by scoobyman2007 (Post 9807528)
And this HKS EVC Turbo boost contoller

I have this ... 2 boost settings (1.5bar (for the girls ;)) & 1.8bar on mine) & a fancy display that monitors throttle pressure vs revs vs boost. Way too complicated for me so I've left it alone after mapper set it up!

TX.

fingerfatty 08 January 2011 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Paulo P (Post 9807747)
Whoops! :lol: Who set it up for you? Have you asked them how it was set up?

Norris Designs,
they recommend i get rid of it and let the m800 ecu deal with the boost as stand alone boost controllers do more damage than good

harvey 08 January 2011 06:16 PM

Sorry but that is crap advice.
Correct. You do not need an auxillary boost controller with a Motec M800 or a Simtek or a Syvecs but there is most certainly a need for an electronic boost controller of some sort depending on the tuning done and how it has been done. There is therefore a good market for electronic boost controllers from the simple eg. Hybrid SE to the complex eg. Apexi AVC-R and if you are running an Apexi Power FC ECU with very basic boost control then the Apexi Power FC is a very definate advantage. That may well have been in Apexi's mind when the developed the AVC-R.

fingerfatty 08 January 2011 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 9808431)
Sorry but that is crap advice.
Correct. You do not need an auxillary boost controller with a Motec M800 or a Simtek or a Syvecs but there is most certainly a need for an electronic boost controller of some sort depending on the tuning done and how it has been done. There is therefore a good market for electronic boost controllers from the simple eg. Hybrid SE to the complex eg. Apexi AVC-R and if you are running an Apexi Power FC ECU with very basic boost control then the Apexi Power FC is a very definate advantage. That may well have been in Apexi's mind when the developed the AVC-R.

im no expert on tuning so i will take your word for that but that was the view of my tuner in my case and i have no reason to doubt him.
if you don't know what your doing with a boost controller then you will get trouble as i found out, the average guy out there me included do not know Boost and Duty Cycle,scrabble, Ne-Points,ect mean.
so if you have a mappable ecu what you need it for? im only asking cause i don't know. The only thing i see that may be useful is the in gear boost level that i guess can act as traction control on fwd cars

it was on the car when i got the previous owner just wanted something extra to look at and i want it gone as it has a m800 anyway

The king 08 January 2011 06:56 PM

Im probably going to start a big debate here, but here goes. Ive tried the AVC-R, said to be among, if not THE best boost controller. After tuning it so that it keeps the boost valve as shut as it can on spoolup (90% I believe) I got excellent results. Never had better to be honest.

But then I tried this thing on the same car: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NXS-M...Q5fAccessories

Just as good. No kidding. Does just the same job. A tiny spring holds the ball in its seat until your desired boost level is reached, so spool up is just as good (in theory it could even be better) then with the AVC-R. Best offer of 15$ (what , 8£?)..

Ive used them since on 2 VERY different animals (including the current EJ257), with the same great results. I did restrict the inlet on it though for better bleed response after opening..

harvey 09 January 2011 04:05 PM

Fingerfatty: The M800 Motec was a couple of years ago king of the tree or one of them anyway as far as aftermarket ECUs were concerned so there was absolutely no need whatsoever for an auxillary boost controller because the ECU already had that function and a host of other functions most dedicated boost controllers don't even have.
Not all ECUs are equal and lesser ECUs can lack boost control so for instance an Apexi Power FC ECU with an auxillary boost controller, Apexi AVC-R is a far more useful piece of kit combined.

As regards manual boost controllers they are a very easy way to up the boost but in the hands of somebody that is unable to check AFRs, check for DET or know what they are doing generally, they make it very easy to destroy an engine and I am sure lots of engines have suffered terminal damage because of the ignorant fitting of an MBC.
Having used these on many occassions with great success having carried out AFR and DET checks, the biggest problem with their long term use is when a small grain of dirt or similar gets trapped under the ball.

fingerfatty 09 January 2011 05:46 PM

Thanks Harvey
that makes it more clear for me