ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   What petrol?! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/866997-what-petrol.html)

WayneG555 07 January 2011 07:02 AM

What petrol?!

Hey guys
Just been to fill my car up with V Power and my local Shell had been changed into a Total. Was speaking to the guy behind the counter and all 3 in my area have changed as well! This now means my closest one is about 20 miles away!

What can i run my car on now?! There is a Q8 and a BP nearby but I've heard scoobys don't like anything but Vpower!

Mrfastbaz 07 January 2011 07:28 AM

depends what scoob you run but some people use tesco 99 petrol as it is supposed to be very close to v power i am sure there will be other replies about this only advice i can give is while you are getting the information together if you use total or anything else either dont drive above 3000 rpm or use an octane booster additive short term just to protect your engine from any nasty surprises

TonyBurns 07 January 2011 07:30 AM

What car do you have? Mods, model year etc?

Tony:)

gallois 07 January 2011 07:30 AM

mine was mapped for v-power but had no issues switching to tesco 99

dynamix 07 January 2011 07:35 AM

Total Excellium is the best of the rest

WayneG555 07 January 2011 07:39 AM

Ive used tesco before and it felt fine. But same problem garage is miles away!

Car is a 1996 V2 import STi. It Has a fully forged engine, HKS induction kit and a revolution exhaust. Its running approx 300bhp. The ECU has a Jap chip (Prova) in it which i believe has very advanced ignition timings.

What octane booster do people recommend?

TinyTim 07 January 2011 08:27 AM

Dont bother with octane booster, it's been proven to be as helpful as pissing against the wind.
Jap maps are notoriously aggressive, so as long as you put the highest RON fuel available in (99) then you should be fine.

wrxn 07 January 2011 09:10 AM

I have been trying tesco 99 I'm on the 3rd tank and it seems to run nice i have also gained a few extra miles each tank although I do have to drive 13 miles to get it .

TonyBurns 07 January 2011 09:19 AM

Octane booster does help (having owned 3 JDM STI's I can say this, especially if monitored ;)) so Tesco 99 and millers octane plus would be good, I would suggest a KS3 to monitor any det that may be going on also, see what they do here>>> www.phormula.co.uk

Glowplug 07 January 2011 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 9805104)
Total Excellium is the best of the rest

Nice one Duncan, didn't realize it was 97, and it's cheaper than Esso Supreme.:thumb:

Originally Posted by TinyTim (Post 9805148)
Dont bother with octane booster, it's been proven to be as helpful as pissing against the wind.

Can you back this statement up with some hard evidence please?
As you can see by my above post, i some times need to use lower RON and add NF OB to make up the difference. So would be interested to read.

Rally fan 555 07 January 2011 09:53 AM

Always use Tesco 99 with the odd tank of Vpower - no issues in my JDM Bug ;)

ozzreid1964 07 January 2011 10:14 AM

always had my cars mapped for total excellium as it's the nearest station for me bob rawle says it's the best 97ron fuel as well:thumb:

dunx 07 January 2011 10:32 AM

'Cos I get it cheap, I always use an Octane Booster in V-Power, and have a KS3 monitor.

The cheap stuff with OB is as good as raw V-Power according to the knock levels.

HTH

dunx

Glowplug 07 January 2011 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 9805289)
'Cos I get it cheap, I always use an Octane Booster in V-Power, and have a KS3 monitor.

The cheap stuff with OB is as good as raw V-Power according to the knock levels.

HTH

dunx

*nods in acknowledgement* :thumb:

TinyTim 07 January 2011 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9805200)
Can you back this statement up with some hard evidence please?
As you can see by my above post, i some times need to use lower RON and add NF OB to make up the difference. So would be interested to read.

Yeah if I must, but bear one thing in mind, opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. I just prefer to 'evidence' over 'my mate Dave'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jbcC...layer_embedded

pooeater 07 January 2011 12:06 PM

there u go b13bat there your hard evidence tested in a rover k series engine LMAF:lol1:

dynamix 07 January 2011 12:07 PM

Methanol

;)

TinyTim 07 January 2011 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by pooeater (Post 9805411)
there u go b13bat there your hard evidence tested in a rover k series engine LMAF:lol1:

LMAF? :wonder:

Take it how you want. I personally dont care as I dont use it.. I dont need to. I cant see how the engine used in the test matters though,bearing in mind the principles of the internal combustion engine are the same, care to explain your point?

TinyTim 07 January 2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by dynamix (Post 9805412)
Methanol

;)

QUITE.

Shame it's not available at your local Halfrauds/motor factors :lol1:

SkydiveMacca 07 January 2011 12:50 PM

No, but you can get it delivered easily enough :)

Glowplug 07 January 2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by TinyTim (Post 9805386)
Yeah if I must, but bear one thing in mind, opinions are like assholes, everyone's got one. I just prefer to 'evidence' over 'my mate Dave'...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jbcC...layer_embedded

I'm sorry TinyTim, you must of misread my post. I asked for 'hard' evidence to back up your claims of pissing in the wind. I do not consider a scripted bint and a totally irrelevant engine 'power' test as, 'hard evidence'. But if that's your world and you believe FG shoit to be fact...
It actually proved nothing, as they tested neither the octane or knock levels.:brickwall

Have a read of this test.
You will note the tests are carried out on the proper test equipment (not a k series rover) by people who know what they are talking about (not vbh).
A little more in depth and evidential i think you will agree.

TonyBurns 07 January 2011 03:23 PM

On that vid you see at .28 secs in the one important point on the packaging, "reduces pinking" or for the rest of us, det ;)

Im with b13bat, that test is useless, running on an engine that was designed to run 95 ron with a map for 95 ron fuel, if you ever read a ford owners manual for example it will clearly state that the car can run on 95 ron and if you want 97 ron but you may not gain any performance.

dunx 07 January 2011 06:25 PM

KS3 does not lie...

LOL

dunx

P.S. Try running 2 bar of boost on V-Power, and then tell me a Rover is a fair test LOL

harvey 07 January 2011 08:14 PM

If you cannot get Shell V-Power or Tesco 99 and your car needs that fuel and it sounds like yours does Wayne, then I suggest you run on a quality 97 Super, as suggested by Duncan and add 2mls/litre VF (Nitrous Formula)
This is not snake juice as many octane boosters are but a tried and tested product. Those of us that use it and map cars can see the additional ignition advance available when using NF compared to straight V-Power.

Glowplug 07 January 2011 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by harvey (Post 9806585)
If you cannot get Shell V-Power or Tesco 99 and your car needs that fuel and it sounds like yours does Wayne, then I suggest you run on a quality 97 Super, as suggested by Duncan and add 2mls/litre VF (Nitrous Formula)
This is not snake juice as many octane boosters are but a tried and tested product. Those of us that use it and map cars can see the additional ignition advance available when using NF compared to straight V-Power.

No more questions ma' lud. :)

s70rjw 07 January 2011 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by TinyTim (Post 9805434)
LMAF? :wonder:

Take it how you want. I personally dont care as I dont use it.. I dont need to. I cant see how the engine used in the test matters though,bearing in mind the principles of the internal combustion engine are the same, care to explain your point?

Turbocharged engines respond more positively than NA engines to higher octane fuels. Rover engine in the FG test, (from 2007 or before) was not turbocharged, hence the FG test is relevant to Rover engine but not a turbocharged Impreza engine. :thumb:

harvey 08 January 2011 11:59 AM

No more questions ma' lud.
:)

Exactly. Too much crap on this board. Just tell it how it is. :thumb:

Wagon Gaz 08 January 2011 12:14 PM

Where's the best place to get the Nitrous formula OB please?

WayneG555 08 January 2011 02:20 PM

Cheers for all the info guys. I don't want the hassle (or cost) of getting the car mapped for Total Excellium so think ill be going down the octane booster route. From reading the website b3bat put up NF Octane Booster is the best. Where is the best place to get this from?

Glowplug 08 January 2011 02:36 PM

Always get mine from here.

You may be able to get it locally though. But not me in my dead end town.;)