ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Eating before / after workout. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/866758-eating-before-after-workout.html)

Ant 05 January 2011 05:12 PM

Eating before / after workout.

Following from joining the gym I need to lose weight and I need to know I'm doing it right.

My plan was to have a slice of toast before doing a 3/4 to a mile swim then a jacket potato after?

Is this ok or do I have it all wrong?

Any help will be great

stevebt 05 January 2011 05:22 PM

I would just have a drink before the exercise then eat properly after that as most people confuse hunger with needing a drink. Did you know toast has more calories than bread ;) I would of thought a jacket potato would of been a poor choice of a meal?? I would go with a pasta dish or meat and stuff your face on steamed veg :D

Ant 05 January 2011 05:25 PM

We do have some mackerel ? Mackerel and steamed veg it is :lol1:

brownstain85 05 January 2011 05:26 PM

Brown bread tho, jacket potatoe r full of carbs iirc! Obviously u dnt want them if ur trying to loose weight, sign up to a site called ukmuscle! Loads of body builders /noutrisionists on there who wld help u! Loads of water also, speeds ur
Metabolism up, smaller meals more regular etc

Ant 05 January 2011 05:29 PM

Cheers :thumb: we have that best of both bread.

stilover 05 January 2011 05:41 PM

I would always have a very light snack an hour or so before working out. Couple slices of toast etc. Put something on my stomach, and give a bit of energy.

If you workout on an empty stomach or when hungry, you'll feel sick.

Then eat a normal meal after a workout.

If you eat before working out, you'll just feel sick.

brownstain85 05 January 2011 05:42 PM

If u like fish, skinless n bone less cod, on a plate, lil bit of salt and pepper(normally with a touch of butter) but leave out the butter if ur trying to loose weight, cover plate in cling film, pop in the micro for a minute to a minute n a half, watch the clingfilm expand, best bit of healthy steamed fish Eva!

astraboy 05 January 2011 06:13 PM

yep carbs before for the energy, then protein less than 20 minutes after you've finished.
astraboy.

davyboy 05 January 2011 06:21 PM

I've lost loads of weight eating a balanced diet including carbs.

Pasta and Jacket spuds should be no problem.

Go straight from work and have some fruit before you go.

Ant 05 January 2011 06:27 PM

Cheers for the advice :)

ScooByer Trade 05 January 2011 06:35 PM

What all of that is terrible advice.Give me sardines that were not in ice, meaning not from the frozen section of the supermarkets stink area.

jimmy77 05 January 2011 06:39 PM

stick to high protein foods and good quality carbs eat plenty of chicken breasts fish ect just drink water no fizzy drinks or energy drinks. instead of drinking tea drink Green Tea as this is a natural fat burner hope this helps

dpb 05 January 2011 06:41 PM

Eating a slice of toast whilst your doing a 3/4 to a mile swim will almost certainly help you lose weight :thumb:

Ant 05 January 2011 06:51 PM

Going now we'll see if the toast was enough. :lol1:

Not a fan of fizzy pop anyways and dont drink tea or coffee.

LG John 05 January 2011 07:15 PM

Banana before is probably a fairly good choice; lots of fast acting sugars. A decent meal shortly after working out with lots of protein is ideal. If you've been doing heavy/hard lifting then a banana immediately after your workout is also good because those same fast acting natural sugars get into your system and prevent your shell-shocked body from cannibalising muscle tissue to replace sugars lost from working out.

Gary WRX 05 January 2011 07:38 PM

As saxoboy mentioned above if you are going straight after work a banana would be good before you go. For dinner I would avoid the jacket potato (though you could have one for lunch) and stick to chicken/fish and steamed veg for dinner.

You need a certain amount of carbs for energy but avoid them as much as you can for dinner

ScoobyWon't 05 January 2011 07:45 PM

You need this, Ant. :thumb:

hodgy0_2 05 January 2011 08:14 PM

the biggest killer, weight loss/gain wise is alcohol and a high carb diet/meal especially before bed

Ant 05 January 2011 08:54 PM

I didn't drown :D managed to do a mile in a hour first time I've swam a mile so I'm very happy. Just need to speed things up.

Its weird that I don't look forward to it but once I've done it feels brilliant.

Scoobywont't - I'll have a look at that site later :D

Now where's that steamed veg....

magneel1 05 January 2011 08:55 PM

U need this before..

http://www.cheapuksupplements.com/sh...Fcgf4Qodn3E4ZQ

No calories, plenty of caffeine and loads of energy, you will have the best workout you've ever had..

scoobiesteve103 05 January 2011 09:42 PM

hi mate,as a ex marine and bodybuilder im sure i can help on this. first off u wanna eat lil and often i.e 4-6 small meals a day not 3 big meals as this keeps the motabalisum going aiding fat loss. if u can buy a protien shake and have first thing in the morn after a **** shower and shave then a snack at around 11 then again at 1. an hr b4 workout have a protien shake,black coffee or small snack.after work out full meal then a supper snack around 10 o'clock.
pre workout.
protien shake with honey and milk semi skimed milk not water.black coffee is good 4 u an hour b4 training as it acts as a stimulent 4 fat burning and as a pain blocker so u can push harder in ur workout,its not nice on its own but i add honey 4 taste and an insulin spike. all veg is good but brocoli is awsome as its a super food u can have on its own as a meal. pasta is good a few hrs b4 but not after and so is j potatos.apples are good but bananas arnt as thay have something in them that induces sleepyness.
post workout.
only works up 2 45 mins after otherwise protiens turn 2 fat faster after the 45 mins and muscle repair is minimal.
a desent meal after a workout inc rice fish and other meats is best i.e chicken rice and brocoli wit a small cube of chicken gravy. do eat red meats but u should try and eat more white meats as there better in protien and ur body can digest them better. sorry 2 drag on but hope this helps. hope all goes well with it and if u want any more info let me know.
steve

Ant 05 January 2011 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by scoobiesteve103 (Post 9802616)
hi mate,as a ex marine and bodybuilder im sure i can help on this. first off u wanna eat lil and often i.e 4-6 small meals a day not 3 big meals as this keeps the motabalisum going aiding fat loss. if u can buy a protien shake and have first thing in the morn after a **** shower and shave then a snack at around 11 then again at 1. an hr b4 workout have a protien shake,black coffee or small snack.after work out full meal then a supper snack around 10 o'clock.
pre workout.
protien shake with honey and milk semi skimed milk not water.black coffee is good 4 u an hour b4 training as it acts as a stimulent 4 fat burning and as a pain blocker so u can push harder in ur workout,its not nice on its own but i add honey 4 taste and an insulin spike. all veg is good but brocoli is awsome as its a super food u can have on its own as a meal. pasta is good a few hrs b4 but not after and so is j potatos.apples are good but bananas arnt as thay have something in them that induces sleepyness.
post workout.
only works up 2 45 mins after otherwise protiens turn 2 fat faster after the 45 mins and muscle repair is minimal.
a desent meal after a workout inc rice fish and other meats is best i.e chicken rice and brocoli wit a small cube of chicken gravy. do eat red meats but u should try and eat more white meats as there better in protien and ur body can digest them better. sorry 2 drag on but hope this helps. hope all goes well with it and if u want any more info let me know.
steve

great info , thanks :luxhello:

Bubba po 05 January 2011 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by scoobiesteve103 (Post 9802616)
motabalisum

http://moobynet.freeforums.org/image.../c_rubeyes.gif

http://moobynet.freeforums.org/images/smilies/m0962.gif

zip106 05 January 2011 10:11 PM

:lol1::lol1:

A bit like - *botulisum*?

ronjeramy 05 January 2011 11:26 PM

Have you turned into Telboy, Bubba? :D

zakscooby1 06 January 2011 12:26 AM

have about 4-6 meals a day as mentioned and protein shake
myofusion is good, i have been using that for about 1year 4times a day
it is low carb and high protein which is what you will need,think total fat in the whole tub is 5%
also when in gym apart from youre cardio do less weight more reps and drink plenty of water through youre session and during the day...
main thing is youre diet bud...cut out high salt,sugars and fryups
if you do alot of carbs try having something which has equally high protein i.e chicken and fish (dont forget the veg)
not easy mate but if you are dedicated then you will certainly enjoy it and feel good
good luck with it all
(sorry it might have some errors in the writing,im on the i phone)

zakscooby1 06 January 2011 12:27 AM

link to myofusion if you are interested
http://monstersupplements.com/store/...-%3A-908g.html

Simon K 06 January 2011 08:31 AM

Pre-fuelled work outs are great at stripping weight i.e wake up in the morning, go for a jog / cross train, on an empty stomach, but keeping in your areobic zone to reduce muscle loss.

You need to decide if you want to put on muscle, which will increase your maintenance level i.e. the amount of cals you need daily to keep living / breathing, resulting in weight loss, or purely stripping off weight, i.e. leaning, which has a different focus.

One hell of a subject this, and one I used to be well involved with back in my training / body building days, which since having chlidren has stopped :-)

Go on to http://www.muscletalk.co.uk/ These are a good bunch of guys, and offer some great advice. You need to work out what you want to do, as you cant truely bulk up / strip fat at the same time.

Like everything in life, there are the correct ways and the wrong ways, and if you want to strip weight, FAST, then ECA stacks / lots of cadio jogging, cross training, HIIT activities, and each high protien foods, and cut back carbs. Through in the odd fish, as your body will need the oils.

SBK

davyboy 06 January 2011 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Simon K (Post 9803120)
One hell of a subject this

Not really.

I think this thread just complicates things.

Less fuel + more exercise = weight loss.

Richy P1984 06 January 2011 01:50 PM

Try visiting bodybuilding.com - its the biggest online fitness sight. There is very good information on there to help with your goals concerning nutrition, supplements, and exercise. Just stay away from the misc at first.