ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Cameron - make your bloody mind up (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/866616-cameron-make-your-bloody-mind-up.html)

f1_fan 04 January 2011 07:11 PM

Cameron - make your bloody mind up

Cuts here, cuts there, cuts everywhere, cuts are needed, we have to do this, tough times ahead.....

and then....

Government wants to bring back weekly bin collections and reverse Labour's savage council cuts

I am not getting this LOL!

Gordo 04 January 2011 07:12 PM

to be fair, I don't think you'd be happy whatever he does

hutton_d 04 January 2011 07:19 PM

Cameron trying to be *populist* when he knows damn well that the fortnightly collections and all this recycling cr*p are all down to EU landfill regulations. i.e. we're not allowed to fill holes in the ground with rubbish even if we have very big holes to fill ... :nono: So, the answer's simple - get the h3ll out! :thumb:

Dave

f1_fan 04 January 2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Gordo (Post 9800142)
to be fair, I don't think you'd be happy whatever he does

Not at all, I have given him credit where it is due, but I just wish for once we could get a government that didn't play the spin game. This is just posturing and opportunist politics which is what we have had for over 30 years from these two parties and I am sick of it.

So to be fair I would be happy if just one of them would do somthing becuase it's right for the country rather than to further their careers.

fatscoobfella1 04 January 2011 08:07 PM

But having your bins emptied every week is right for the country,fortnightly is crap!!

Dingdongler 04 January 2011 11:16 PM

[quote=f1_fan;9800236]Not at all, I have given him credit where it is due, but I just wish for once we could get a government that didn't play the spin game. This is just posturing and opportunist politics which is what we have had for over 30 years from these two parties and I am sick of it.

So to be fair I would be happy if just one of them would do somthing becuase it's right for the country rather than to further their careers.[/quote]

I'm not sure how making huge cuts to public spending and raising taxes is good for their careers. I think on the whole he is making decisions he feels are right for the country, he needs the public on his side though and so like all politicians will have to make some populist decisions as well

FlightMan 05 January 2011 07:18 AM

It's all part of the master plan. Inflation, REAL inflation, must be 10%+. Taxes up, petrol up, vat up, NI going up. Wages static.

So Govt responds by restoring weekly bin collections.

Balance and harmony restored.

Leslie 05 January 2011 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 9800236)
Not at all, I have given him credit where it is due, but I just wish for once we could get a government that didn't play the spin game. This is just posturing and opportunist politics which is what we have had for over 30 years from these two parties and I am sick of it.

So to be fair I would be happy if just one of them would do somthing becuase it's right for the country rather than to further their careers.

You are quite right. Thats what comes of him admiring Billy Liar and trying to emulate his early popularity.

Les :(

f1_fan 05 January 2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9801503)
You are quite right. Thats what comes of him admiring Billy Liar and trying to emulate his early popularity.

Les :(

Yes he sure is a strange role model isn't he?

f1_fan 05 January 2011 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9800807)
I'm not sure how making huge cuts to public spending and raising taxes is good for their careers. I think on the whole he is making decisions he feels are right for the country, he needs the public on his side though and so like all politicians will have to make some populist decisions as well

The point is though tnat the cuts they are making are hardly going to make a dent in the debt problem. He had to be seen to be doing something so he has made these cuts to address the problem. The point is that this could actually end up costing the country more than it saves.

What really needs to be done is either a lot more borrowing to stimulate the econmy... a huge gamble that could see us go bankrupt or really nasty swathing cuts that will leave people worse off (very in some cases), but will actually make a proper dent in the debt over time.

What we have now is a very lukewarm version of what is probably really needed.

Of course huge cuts would make him hugely unpopular so he is walking a tightrope in many ways and hoping he doesn't get knocked off.

urban 05 January 2011 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by f1_fan (Post 9800140)
Cuts here, cuts there, cuts everywhere, cuts are needed, we have to do this, tough times ahead.....

and then....

Government wants to bring back weekly bin collections and reverse Labour's savage council cuts

I am not getting this LOL!

Another U-Turn by boomerang!

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1 (Post 9800335)
But having your bins emptied every week is right for the country,fortnightly is crap!!

I don't agree - personally for me, it would be a nuisance.

I currently have 3 bins to put various things in.
One week 1 bin is taken, next week the other 2 bins are taken depending on what time of the year it is.

Andy Tang 05 January 2011 03:40 PM

Don't we pay for refuse collection from our council tax?

Surely, it's just another reason to put up the council tax again!