ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   maf showing fault help ?????? (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/866614-maf-showing-fault-help.html)

willyscooby 04 January 2011 07:10 PM

maf showing fault help ??????

having problems with my sti type-r v5 1999, slight hesitation on light throttle and sometimes revs upto 1500-2000 on tickover, plugged diagnostic cables under dash fault code 23 showing which is maf sensor purchased brand new sensor from dealer and reset light after a driving over 6 miles still having problems and fault still showing after pluging leads together, any ideas please can anything else cause this fault thanks.

r1c 04 January 2011 08:31 PM

check the wiring for the maf, i had water damage at the conector where i hadnt fitted my vent covers for the winter. the plug terminals were green

Glowplug 04 January 2011 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by willyscooby (Post 9800137)
having problems with my sti type-r v5 1999, slight hesitation on light throttle and sometimes revs upto 1500-2000 on tickover, plugged diagnostic cables under dash fault code 23 showing which is maf sensor purchased brand new sensor from dealer and reset light after a driving over 6 miles still having problems and fault still showing after pluging leads together, any ideas please can anything else cause this fault thanks.

When you did the full ECU reset procedure did you get the 'all clear' code??

Gambit 04 January 2011 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by r1c (Post 9800389)
check the wiring for the maf, i had water damage at the conector where i hadnt fitted my vent covers for the winter. the plug terminals were green

yeah - i had issues with my MAF because of water/damp ingress(was actually showing an error 22 code which was misleading!) ended up i made a shield for MAF & wiring out of plasitc bottle just - worked a treat

jameswrx 04 January 2011 09:32 PM

Did you reset the ecu after swapping maf sensor?

willyscooby 04 January 2011 09:57 PM

fault code still showing 23

i will check the plug this weekend for water but i have reset ecu several times and it still comes up with fault code 23, just check scoobypedia and when ive been reseting ecu i just plug both black and green plugs together and drive for a few second until check light flashers then turn engine off and it seem to clear, noticed this is a different proceedure to the one on scoobypedia is that why it keeps showing this fault code ?

njberrie 04 January 2011 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by willyscooby (Post 9800137)

faulty maff normally revs from= nearly cut out to only about 1200 from experience on idle have you tried idle when maff is unplugged ??

also try diagnostic with maff unplugged

r1c 04 January 2011 10:12 PM

iv always been told on the 99-00 years not to run the car with the maf unplugged.

Glowplug 04 January 2011 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by willyscooby (Post 9800612)
i will check the plug this weekend for water but i have reset ecu several times and it still comes up with fault code 23, just check scoobypedia and when ive been reseting ecu i just plug both black and green plugs together and drive for a few second until check light flashers then turn engine off and it seem to clear, noticed this is a different proceedure to the one on scoobypedia is that why it keeps showing this fault code ?

When the CEL flashes it will either show a 'all clear' code or a 'fault code'. Which does yous show??

Give the procedure on Scoobypedia a go and count the flashes at the end.:thumb:

willyscooby 04 January 2011 10:55 PM

It's showing all clear cheers

Glowplug 04 January 2011 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by willyscooby (Post 9800775)
It's showing all clear cheers

Cool.:thumb: See how you go.;)

willyscooby 05 January 2011 07:24 PM

Car Started playing up again today, car revs up to 1500 on tickover, checked diaog plugs and code 23 again (maf) is there any chance the idle control valve can cause the maf fault code to keep showing ????? :(

Glowplug 05 January 2011 07:43 PM

Think i'd be going back to the dealers at this point mate, let them see the brand new MAF they sold you.

If it is a brand new unit then it is not fit for purpose and should be replaced.;)