ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Damn! There goes £340 just after Christmas. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/866572-damn-there-goes-340-just-after-christmas.html)

alcazar 04 January 2011 03:08 PM

Damn! There goes £340 just after Christmas.

Xantia just failed it's MoT, needs full exhaust including cats, £340 inc the MoT.:cry:

Could be worse I suppose, but straight after Christmas.........:(

Bravo2zero_sps 04 January 2011 03:23 PM

Cars are expensive end of. My Pathfinder has just cost me a grand to service, insure and tax all at Christmas. Last time I ever buy a car at Christmas time and then have to renew everything every Christmas after :rolleyes:

alcazar 04 January 2011 03:29 PM

Nah, HDi.

Wouldn't put a 2nd hand exhaust on, the cars are all too old, knowing MY luck I'd be paying AGAIN in 6 months' time:(

just got to bite the bullet.

AND we just subbed the youngest his tax for a year............AND the Xantia tax is up when I DO get it MoT'd :( :( :(

ALi-B 04 January 2011 03:30 PM

Why the need for a cat, unless its rusted through.

A leaky exhaust causes an MOT fail. But if the leak is fixed, the emissions may come back into tow.

edit DIESEL??!?!?

Doesn't need a cat; get a replacment pipe. :D Maybe even be a non-cat exhaust available new intended for older model years

dpb 04 January 2011 03:35 PM

Downpipe as well ? :eek:

http://secure.gsfcarparts.com/shop/results.asp

De cat it :thumb:

Dedrater 04 January 2011 04:51 PM

Have you taken this to Kwikfit or something?!

alcazar 04 January 2011 05:17 PM

No, it's gone to a local guy I've known for years and trust.

He's shown me, there are TWO cats and they are BOTH part of the exhaust, you can't take them off separately.

BLOODY French cars!

dpb 04 January 2011 05:47 PM

312 for my mondeo estate , ( would be )

..without the fitting !

chocolate_o_brian 04 January 2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9799784)
No, it's gone to a local guy I've known for years and trust.

He's shown me, there are TWO cats and they are BOTH part of the exhaust, you can't take them off separately.

BLOODY French cars!

Does the price include labour for fitting Jeff? Or would you want a hand fitting it one day :)

skoobidude 04 January 2011 05:52 PM

Oh the old Xantias. I've had two. Was working away a few years back and wanted to keep mileage off the Scoob so paid £500 for one. So comfy with an Ipod line-in connection too.
Like water beds!
I wrote my first one off going into the back of someone. I simply scrapped it and bought another the following week :)

Dedrater 04 January 2011 05:57 PM

What engine and HP is it?

Edit: and year.
Edit: Hatchback or estate.

mart360 04 January 2011 06:04 PM

Looks like our fridge freezer is on its last legs....

Replacement we have eyeballed was £250 on new years eve.....

Day after new year £299 ferk!!!!

And that's without the vat going on too :(

We changed the Mrs's car the week before Christmas, so that moves her tax

away from christmas and out to the end of april, so she's happy with that

Looks like the bank account is going to get a hammering shortly :(

Mart

EddScott 04 January 2011 06:25 PM

New kitchen arrives tomorrow, cooker arrives Saturday.

Was hoping to buy another classic :mad:

alcazar 04 January 2011 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 9799879)
Does the price include labour for fitting Jeff? Or would you want a hand fitting it one day :)

Hah! There's no way I'm exhaust fitting, I thought I'd done my last until I met you :D

alcazar 04 January 2011 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 9799891)
What engine and HP is it?

Edit: and year.
Edit: Hatchback or estate.

2.0HDi, T reg 99 car, saloon/hatch

chocolate_o_brian 04 January 2011 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9799971)
Hah! There's no way I'm exhaust fitting, I thought I'd done my last until I met you :D

:D

Dedrater 04 January 2011 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9799973)
2.0HDi, T reg 99 car, saloon/hatch

http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/ex....php?ID=180518

Give them a ring in the morning. Looking at it, it will be about £100 for most of the exhaust, then £56 for the cat up pipe, few quid for gaskets and bolts.

Worth a phone call anyway.

chocolate_o_brian 04 January 2011 07:27 PM

Actually Jeff, have you priced up an exhaust from Cookies or Frod Motor Spares :)

When my downpipe to centre cat join rusted through causing the centre section to drag on the floor, Cookies came up trumps for me with a whole new downpipe/gaskets/fitting kit for just shy of £53. 5 hours on my back admittedly but a garage would fit others parts so long as reputable surely :)

Jamz3k 04 January 2011 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 9800179)
http://www.cats-direct-shop.co.uk/ex....php?ID=180518

Give them a ring in the morning. Looking at it, it will be about £100 for most of the exhaust, then £56 for the cat up pipe, few quid for gaskets and bolts.

Worth a phone call anyway.

Holy CRAP! A while back I got a quote off Alfa for a new cat and it was just over £800!!! That site has the same yoke for £188. How can Alfa get away with that?

alcazar 04 January 2011 09:34 PM

I might look at those tomorrow, BUT, the guy who does the work has rung around for cheap parts, plus I don't fancy the job in this weather and the price includes the MoT and retest.

ALi-B 05 January 2011 01:19 AM

Buy the parts, then get him to fit?

What bhp engine is it?

Looking at google it says the system on the 90bhp models is interchanagble with the non-cats system found on the older model years.

110bhp, you're screwed, apparently.

ilogikal1 05 January 2011 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian (Post 9800205)
Actually Jeff, have you priced up an exhaust from Cookies or Frod Motor Spares :)

When my downpipe to centre cat join rusted through causing the centre section to drag on the floor, Cookies came up trumps for me with a whole new downpipe/gaskets/fitting kit for just shy of £53. 5 hours on my back admittedly but a garage would fit others parts so long as reputable surely :)

You're cheap ;)

alcazar 05 January 2011 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 9800949)
Buy the parts, then get him to fit?

What bhp engine is it?

Looking at google it says the system on the 90bhp models is interchanagble with the non-cats system found on the older model years.

110bhp, you're screwed, apparently.

Do you need ask? 110, of course. :rolleyes:

The dear one............:(

Leslie 05 January 2011 01:50 PM

If there is the slightest exhaust leak on the car, it is likely to affect the emission measurement adversely. Might be worth having a close look for any leaks anywhere in the system. Fixing anything like that migh cure the emission problem.

Might well be worth checking the Lamda sensor as well,it that is u/s it will cause the same problem. Could save yourself some cash.

Les :)

alcazar 05 January 2011 05:11 PM

It's having the full exhaust, inc back-box, Les, knowing my luck, I'd pay out for the front bits and the stupid back-box would falL off a week later. Cheaper to get it all done at once.
Strange though, ALL my other cars ate through the BACK-box before the front pipes :confused:

dunx 05 January 2011 08:38 PM

Cheer up

I'm due an MOT and a year's ticket on the first of March, nine years since I collected it !

dunx

nick172sport 05 January 2011 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9801856)
It's having the full exhaust, inc back-box, Les, knowing my luck, I'd pay out for the front bits and the stupid back-box would falL off a week later. Cheaper to get it all done at once.
Strange though, ALL my other cars ate through the BACK-box before the front pipes :confused:

could be worse just cost me 550 quid to put a engine and box into the daughters punto crap italian cars:(

Leslie 06 January 2011 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9801856)

Yes my Scooby did exactly as you say. The back box had a hole in it and the emissions were all messed up. As soon as the hole was repaired, the emissions wer instantly back in limits. Happened to my friend's scooby too.

Maybe the back box runs a little cooler and there is more condensation to cause the internal rusting.

Hope it all sorts out anyway.

Les :)