ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Android Tablets ? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/866358-android-tablets.html)

J4CKO 03 January 2011 10:37 AM

Android Tablets ?

Considered an Ipad but though they are very shiny, they are a lot of money and are a bit hampered by the lack of Flash (debate in itself) and the whole Itunes/Apple lock in thing, have use the wife's Andoid mobile and it is really nice to use, I have an Ipod Touch 3rd gen but fancy a change and the youngest wants my Ipod.

I am thinking of spending up to £200 and there are a few on here, anyone tried one ?

http://www.zutux.com/laptops-&-table...av234/srt-bes/

Not bothered about having the ultimate, just something I can surf on that isn't clunky to use and doesnt have a crap screen.

MMT WRX 03 January 2011 11:09 AM

When I saw the thread title I thought tablets, as in paracetamol. :D

I thought you were trying to cure a few ipeople. :thumb:

dagger 03 January 2011 11:25 AM

I got one for my son for xmas, got it off ebay for £80, absolutley fantastic

runs loads of apps, and is pretty fast

Snazy 03 January 2011 11:55 AM

First ones I would cut out are the ones running anything less than android 2.1. Anything that and above should be fine with the later, better OS's, anything under might struggle.

paulwrxboro 03 January 2011 11:59 AM

got my son an E pad of ebay its realy good £130 from china 5 day delivery

J4CKO 03 January 2011 12:10 PM

Snaz, you have an Ipad dont you ? how does it compare ?

Scooby Soon! 03 January 2011 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Snazy (Post 9796638)
First ones I would cut out are the ones running anything less than android 2.1. Anything that and above should be fine with the later, better OS's, anything under might struggle.

i think most of the android pads that are coming out of china are running 2.1/2.2 are actually running a "hacked" version of 1.6 so they are not true 2.1, the ipad is good but its overpriced.

If you can get a 16gb non 3g model for under £300 i would go for the ipad and then sell it again in 6 months when the android tablets catch up. The battery on the ipad is very good (5 to 10 hours?)and I have heard that the android tablets only get 2 or 3 hours?

The flash on the ipad can be annoying especially as it does not give you any warning that the flash parts are missing from the page!

Snazy 03 January 2011 12:28 PM

I have an iPad but don't have an android tablet, have only owned an earlier android phone.
Personally the more confident I get with the iPad the more it irritates me, with word corrections, keystroke misses, and the latest Apple "do as we say not as you want" with them changing the use of the rotation lock key to a mute key, no choice in the matter, they decided it for me. Tha last bit just about sealed it for me.

Personally the iPad is been there, done that, won't do that again. The lack of flash, regardless of what the appleholics tell you IS a big downside to the iPad certainly to me. It fails miserably on quite a few websites I use, not being able to render the full page, or having buttons on the page that can't function.

Having used the galaxy tab for a short while I liked the interface very much, and would switch happily if the need arose. I will be getting a Playbook as soon as they hit the market and at that point may well sell the iPad.

So compare I can't really, but comment I can.

All that said, the iPad is a very sweet to use device, there is no doubting that, and the software developers continue to make it fun to own with the constant flow of apps.

In short.... The apps make the devices, and the android market has plenty of those.

Scooby Soon! 03 January 2011 12:32 PM

forgot to add the ipad definitely lags after upgrading to version 4 (the keyboard mainly) and the constant reloading when you switch pages in safari is enough to kill your self!

Snazy 03 January 2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 9796715)
forgot to add the ipad definitely lags after upgrading to version 4 (the keyboard mainly) and the constant reloading when you switch pages in safari is enough to kill your self!

Agree on both.
I'm sure half of it is me being too lazy to set preferences etc but the browser bit annoys the hell out of me.

Having seen some of the latest cheaper android tablets, I'm tempted to take a punt. Downside to most is the touchscreen style, resistive is pants lol

J4CKO 03 January 2011 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 9796696)
i think most of the android pads that are coming out of china are running 2.1/2.2 are actually running a "hacked" version of 1.6 so they are not true 2.1, the ipad is good but its overpriced.

If you can get a 16gb non 3g model for under £300 i would go for the ipad and then sell it again in 6 months when the android tablets catch up. The battery on the ipad is very good (5 to 10 hours?)and I have heard that the android tablets only get 2 or 3 hours?

The flash on the ipad can be annoying especially as it does not give you any warning that the flash parts are missing from the page!

When you say hacked, do you mean they just get it to report as being 2.1 but it isn't ?

JackClark 03 January 2011 12:52 PM

There's no Android for Tablets so bear that in mind, later in the year Google *may* release a tablet version but until then you have a telephone operating system on a tablet, not ideal.

J4CKO 03 January 2011 12:54 PM

Strange, several posts in and the Apple Police haven't arrived yet !

Edit, my post crossed with the "Apple Emergency response Unit"

JackClark 03 January 2011 12:57 PM

You rang! Whatever Android tablet you buy, it'll be rubbish compared to the iPad, but you get what you pay for. A friend has a Galaxy Tab, it's laughable and expensive.

Jaybird-UK 03 January 2011 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by dagger (Post 9796571)
I got one for my son for xmas, got it off ebay for £80, absolutley fantastic

runs loads of apps, and is pretty fast

do you have a link to it or the model/brand name?

at £80 i'd be interested

boxst 03 January 2011 01:10 PM

I've played with a few Android tablets and found them a bit lacking: Cheaply made, not a very good implementation of Android and to me likely to not work with applications and/or break within a few months.

I haven't tried the expensive ones like Samsung (My Galaxy S phone is pretty good, so I assume the tablet would be?).

I have an iPad and although it fixes all that I've criticised the Android ones for, it adds its own problems and I find it a little frustrating to do anything than play with the Internet and watch movies.

Edit: Just for clarity on the iPad, I have tried :) Use DropBox, Documents to Go and try to use it as a proper replacement for my laptop but it falls way short.

Skoobie Dhu 03 January 2011 01:15 PM

This is what you need, this'll make the Ifanboys squirm #cough# USB

http://android.modaco.com/content/an...goes-official/

markjmd 03 January 2011 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 9796696)

Isn't Android free to download, and therefore free to upgrade?

JackClark 03 January 2011 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 9796833)

Ho, Ho, Ho. Yes it's free to download, but what you get is not what you see on official phones. It's basic and pants, like cheap android phones and tablets. Google make money from Android.

boxst 03 January 2011 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by markjmd (Post 9796833)

In theory. The manufacturer needs to play with the core Android OS to make sure it is compatible with the extensions they have built specific for their phone/tablet.

In case of most of the cheap tablets, the OS has been so hacked about that it is a major overhaul to get a later version of the OS to work.

Steve

Ant 03 January 2011 06:42 PM

If you need flash , the skyfire app will sort that

markjmd 03 January 2011 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by boxst (Post 9796862)
In theory. The manufacturer needs to play with the core Android OS to make sure it is compatible with the extensions they have built specific for their phone/tablet.

In case of most of the cheap tablets, the OS has been so hacked about that it is a major overhaul to get a later version of the OS to work.

Steve

No way of just doing kernel updates or anything like that then?

Scooby Soon! 03 January 2011 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by antc (Post 9797607)
If you need flash , the skyfire app will sort that

Not according to the reviews on the app store!

bootsy 03 January 2011 07:26 PM

is there any tablets/pads for sale that can run a proper not cut down copy of photoshop or elements.with usb or memory ports :wonder:

apples24 03 January 2011 07:33 PM

ive been looking at the china ones epad etc they do seem tempting, loads of different ones though. anyone have any experiance?

Ant 03 January 2011 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon! (Post 9797711)
Not according to the reviews on the app store!

going by what i see of other reviews on other apps i wouldn't go by what people say.

ive tried it on flash sites like ermmm redtube an stuff:D

hux309 03 January 2011 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu (Post 9796815)
This is what you need, this'll make the Ifanboys squirm #cough# USB

http://android.modaco.com/content/an...goes-official/

Ooh that's sweet shame you can't buy an oled tablet[yet]
But i did hear tablets that have the tegra 2 chipset are the must have right now, and have the ifanboys in tatters :D

Btw Eink are working on a full colour screen, so the pixe qi screen will be defunct before long

Ah here we go

http://www.reghardware.com/2010/11/09/e_ink_triton/

Isn't technology great

j4ckos mate 03 January 2011 09:07 PM

why dont you just get a cheap netbook, this ones ace we use, acer aspire d150 from john lewis, two year warranty,

some are even cheaper that have linux on

belliott69 03 January 2011 09:15 PM

i was playing with the galaxy tab today, great tablet but its a bit to small for my liking. the ipad is great but as there may be a new one coming out in the next few months i'd like to see how much better it is before i spend out silly money on one.

SinghSuperStud 04 January 2011 11:10 AM

a lot of these tablets for Android need to be reflashed/hacked to put Android Marketplace on too!! No good having an Android device if you're stuck with the apps provided :)

There is an Advent Vega you can get from Currys/PC World on their website that has mixed reiews - think it's about £250