ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Workboots - Time for a new pair (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/866327-workboots-time-for-a-new-pair.html)

Account deleted by request 02 January 2011 10:31 PM

Workboots - Time for a new pair

Seem a few people on here who probably wear these. I have always favoured rigger boots but my last pair fitted really badly and gave me sore feet. Thinking about trying these

http://www.safetysolutionsuk.net/ste...08sm-i317.html

I've never heard of Sterling Steel before, has anyone used there stuff ?

Any other recommendations?

Chop

what would scooby do 02 January 2011 10:32 PM

Uggs

dpb 02 January 2011 10:34 PM

with steel toecaps ? :Suspiciou

Lee247 02 January 2011 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by chopper. (Post 9795843)
Seem a few people on here who probably wear these. I have always favoured rigger boots but my last pair fitted really badly and gave me sore feet. Thinking about trying these

http://www.safetysolutionsuk.net/ste...08sm-i317.html

I've never heard of Sterling Steel before, has anyone used there stuff ?

Any other recommendations?

Chop

You'll have them like a pianters radio in no time, so a pair of wellies would be good :D

what would scooby do 02 January 2011 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by dpb (Post 9795856)
with steel toecaps ? :Suspiciou

Titanium :thumb:

drb5 02 January 2011 10:38 PM

Afraid i don't like the look of them.

I was told to get Caterpillar Supremacy. Guy i know has them and they DO look rather good. Zip up the side so you don't need to keep lacing them up and very comfy so he says. Not cheap though. :( Cheapest i've seen is £90.

MMT WRX 02 January 2011 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lee247 (Post 9795861)
You'll have them like a pianters radio in no time, so a pair of wellies would be good :D

One of his better lines. :D

Bubba po 02 January 2011 10:56 PM

like a pianters radio

I'm not familiar with that one, Lee. :wonder:

Surely you mean "Like a cheerleader's face"? :D

zip106 02 January 2011 11:00 PM

If you could see my work radio.... like a Dulux colour chart :)

what would scooby do 02 January 2011 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 9795949)
If you could see my work radio.... like a Dulux colour chart :)

You should stop eating beetroot..

burbling1 02 January 2011 11:13 PM

Have you tried Bucklers?
I find them very comfy they take a few miles to run in but worth it.

stevebt 02 January 2011 11:45 PM

Black and Decker riggers ! they are hard to find but they are really fecking comfortable. I usually buy the Dewalt riggers but The B&D's are much better.

stevebt 02 January 2011 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by chopper. (Post 9795843)

Iwas just ina shop over the last couple of days and tried a pair on very similar to those and the fit was terrible, I'm in desperate need of new boots as well as my riggers at the moment are killing a pair of socks a day so they are too expensive to keep wearing :)

Account deleted by request 02 January 2011 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by burbling1 (Post 9795999)
Have you tried Bucklers?
I find them very comfy they take a few miles to run in but worth it.

Cheers quite like the look of them :thumb:

daviee 02 January 2011 11:53 PM

These are the ones I wear, work in a large forge cover miles in a shift. http://www.buckandhickman.com/find/k...uct-is-1016853 :thumb:

Bubba po 02 January 2011 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 9796125)
Iwas just ina shop over the last couple of days and tried a pair on very similar to those and the fit was terrible, I'm in desperate need of new boots as well as my riggers at the moment are killing a pair of socks a day so they are too expensive to keep wearing :)

Change your socks. :) Most Army/Navy stores do socks that are virtually indestructible in normal - and abnormal - use. I've got some socks that have done five years' hard labour in the worst conditions and they're showing no signs of wear.

scoobyvirgin 02 January 2011 11:55 PM

I've heard a few times now that they're trying to ban riggers on site, not sure why.
Anyone else heard the same?

Account deleted by request 02 January 2011 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by drb5 (Post 9795871)
Afraid i don't like the look of them.

I was told to get Caterpillar Supremacy. Guy i know has them and they DO look rather good. Zip up the side so you don't need to keep lacing them up and very comfy so he says. Not cheap though. :( Cheapest i've seen is £90.

Them are a proper pair of boots. To be honest I don't manual work in mine, just walk our sites and shuffle paper :D do end up walking miles in them thus wanting something comfy.

Also I have to go to a few meetings where I can't change of site boots so like ones that can just pass for normal boots.

Chop

Account deleted by request 02 January 2011 11:57 PM

Very good :D

Offer is always open if you want to fill in for the radio ;)

Chop

Account deleted by request 03 January 2011 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by stevebt (Post 9796125)

See to be a more common problem. Years ago riggers were a much better fit on me, these days they are always looser than a prossie's muff after a month or so.

Those Bucklers look quite good.

Account deleted by request 03 January 2011 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by scoobyvirgin (Post 9796142)
I've heard a few times now that they're trying to ban riggers on site, not sure why.

I could be wrong but I think that is another Health & Safety myth. Bit like ladders being banned on sites.

I did overhear someone say this one day and there reasoning is that you couldn't get Someones foot out of them if trapped. What a load of nonsense.

Chop

Hysteria1983 03 January 2011 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by scoobyvirgin (Post 9796142)

Yes, I have heard it too.

They are a huge contributor towards foot/leg problems amongst the construction industry. So. Much so that they are getting banned from use within some companies.

As for work boots, Mr P has to look 'smart' when on site, and had to wear a shirt and tie, so he wears steel toe capped Doc Martins.
Not everyones cup of tea though.

stevebt 03 January 2011 12:22 AM

I heard about the banning of rigger due to them not supporting the ankle enough? I tried a pair of Dewalt hiking style safety boots and the laces are always rotting so I can't fasten them properly. Rigger for me all the time .

Ayde 03 January 2011 06:49 AM

Yeah, where I work are banning them soon due to the ankle support issue, last pair I had fitted like a glove on a foot! Gave me a sore leg too, previous diggers where very comfy though. We tend to use Himalayan boots in work, they do a version with composite toe cap which are very light. They last pretty well too, considering they are getting wet and splashed with chemicals etc for 12 hours a day.

Ayde 03 January 2011 06:50 AM

Lol, iPhone predictive text, riggers not diggers!

rob 666 03 January 2011 07:05 AM

yeah i've had sterling boots before, lasted fairly well to be honest considering there not a expensive product, fairly comfortable would probably have them again tbh, lasted about 18 months and i work in a commercial vehicle workshop

fatscoobfella1 03 January 2011 09:30 AM

I have tried them all over the years.. Cats,Riggers,Dewalts,Snap on,Dickies etc etc..

Now i will only wear one boot..Fortec V12's.... Just awesome and so comfortable.

I usually have Arizona's,but was out of stock last time i went so now have Boulders,which just sit a little higher up the ankle..

Both superb though..10/10 !

alcazar 03 January 2011 01:49 PM

DON'T buy Rigger boots.

My eldest has always had them, we recently bought him a new pair, same as his last ones, only to find, four weeks later, that they are now banned on site at Tata Steel.

Several other sites following suit, notably power stations.

Something to do with insufficient ankle support.....:Confused:

mrmadcap 03 January 2011 02:59 PM

Riggers are now banned on most major construction sites probably due to the fact that they provide minimal ankle support.
When i used to work in utilities riggers were uncomfortable as they would fill up with stones unless you wore trousers over the top rather than tucked in like the gay boy in Village people.
The choice of work safety footware will depend on which industry you are working in, for example you can get lightweight trainers with safety toecaps or lightweight boots that are fairly comfortable with a compasite safety toecap.

Rob_Impreza99 03 January 2011 03:32 PM

Ive always bought my work boots from Wynsors, they do some great quality work boots, my last pair have lasted ages and still look in great condition. Their prices are excellent.

http://www.wynsors.com/mens-shoes-me...s-c-1_123.html