ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Cleaning the MY99 MAF sensor (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/86606-cleaning-the-my99-maf-sensor.html)

SCOSaltire 10 April 2002 08:27 PM

Hi all

How do you take out the MAF Sensor in a MY99 car.
What to undo, how to undo it... etc...

And then how do you clean it?
Use Brake or Carb fluid and spray(?) in?

Cheers

mutant_matt 10 April 2002 08:54 PM

Usually you can't clean them and everyone I know bar one person has destroyed theirs completely whilst trying....:(

Matt.

Postman Pat 11 April 2002 10:39 AM

My car 99 too BTW has been giving me idle problems for some time now. One of the suggestions for this was the MAF. I had a look at mine which is just downstream from the air filter (on left hand front of engine with some wires coming out from it). This uses as far as I know a hot wire system. Anyway when you look at it, it is a thin coppery wire. Some have suggested cleaning with cotton bud and electrical contact cleaner. I use a std filter as some of the others used wet based ones which f**k up said wire. Mine looked clean and I have to admit I chickened out on cleaning it incase I did the usual and broke the damned thing (They're kind of pricey)

Cheers Pat :cool:

dmel 11 April 2002 12:01 PM

MY99 has thin film not thin wire. This is why it is so delicate.

CRAIGFIN 12 April 2002 11:32 AM

SCO,

I cleaned my MAF sensor on my MY99 STI Type-R months ago and its been fine ever since. You will need a tamperproof bit to remove the sensor and I just used a cotton bud with carb cleaner. Just be gentle.

Craig.:D

T-uk 12 April 2002 12:47 PM

sco,

put it this way,"if it's bu66ered,it's bu66ered",so it's worth a try.my m8's car is still going fine since we cleaned his.we just removed all pipes and sprayed them/maf with brake cleaner.

DaveW 12 April 2002 12:50 PM

The VW TDI's have a similar MAF sensor and the way to clean them is to put the MAF into a plastic bag and then put quite a bit of electrical cleaner (the stuff that leaves no residue) into the bag and just slosh it about gently. Seems to work for them.

DaveW

SCOSaltire 12 April 2002 02:13 PM

cheers guys

car is a little lumpy on idle... so thinking cleaning it would be good idea...

sounds easy enough.. if im careful...
tho .. its not bad enough to be knackered tho.
hmm

catflap 12 April 2002 08:12 PM

couldent you find a pall with a maf from a 99, swap em over see if it is still lumpy, if so clean it, if not keep looking for the cause?

Just my 2 penneth worth

SCOSaltire 12 April 2002 08:53 PM

now theres an idea!

SCOSaltire 16 April 2002 07:39 PM

ok
gonna take it out
what the procedure, and what tools i need?

Dark Blue Mark 17 April 2002 09:41 AM

Piece of piss.

Unbolt the airbox (4x bolts) from the chassis and the plastic air intake at the front. Unclip the wiing harness from the MAF holder. Unbolt the solid plasic maf housing from the filter box, and pull it off. This is all from memory, but thats about the size of it. Very easy.

That should do it.

MB

NutterKam 18 April 2002 02:45 PM

I have used electronics contact cleaner spray. Basically, removed the MAF tube from the intake and spray the hell out of it! Let it dry completely before refitting.