ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   AA Batteries (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/865925-aa-batteries.html)

David Lock 31 December 2010 10:05 AM

AA Batteries

My family seem to eat up AA (MN-1500) batteries so I just wondered if anyone knew the best value ones to get?

I have always used Duracell but this was probably because of the ads :) I have tried rechargeables but they don't appeal.

Duracell in the shops usually cost more than the others but if I remember in time I can get a pack of 10, Duracell Procell, from MDS Batteries for £2.98.

So any tips?

David

StickyMicky 31 December 2010 10:10 AM

Give them sandwiches instead :)

TelBoy 31 December 2010 10:10 AM

Batteries are one of the things Ebay is brilliant at. They're cheap as chips, especially regular sizes like this. Or are you averse to using Ebay?

Puff The Magic Wagon! 31 December 2010 10:11 AM

Like you, I'm constantly using batteries up & it ends up costing a fortune. You can get a charger & 4 batteries from Argos for £10 + another 4 for another £10 & just rotate as necessary.

Doesn't make sense to do otherwise.

Jamescsti 31 December 2010 10:11 AM

I buy Duracell when they are on offer, most supermarkets are doing "buy one get one free" at the moment on 4 pack AA batteries so not bad value.
I don't think any other brands last as long as Duracell to be honest, tried Energiser in my xbox remotes and they seemed to die really fast

dpb 31 December 2010 10:14 AM

I think they are one of the best . But can you not run things off transformers ?

Iv bought duracell off the net when ordering something else , that needed them , for what i thought was an astoundingly cheap price - unfortunatly im still trying to remember where

..But it made me realise just how many hundred percentage mark up the highstreet were taking

David Lock 31 December 2010 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by TelBoy (Post 9790719)
Batteries are one of the things Ebay is brilliant at. They're cheap as chips, especially regular sizes like this. Or are you averse to using Ebay?

Np problems with e-bay but with things like batteries I wonder if I am getting old stock. But worth taking a chance for the savings I suppose.

They're not for my life support machine after all :Suspiciou

d

TelBoy 31 December 2010 10:23 AM

Buy from a supplier with good feedback and you'll get batteries well within their lifespan, in fact many sellers actually quote the expiry date. I've never been fleeced and wouldn't buy batteries anywhere else now.

ALi-B 31 December 2010 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 9790714)
I have tried rechargeables but they don't appeal.

What type of rechargeables and what type of charger? Because there are two types of both: good ones, and crap ones.

If they are Ni-Cd (nicad) bin them. Outdated, old tech. And you shouldn't dismiss the performance of rechargeables based on these.

If its a dumb fast charger (usually anything branded by Duracell, energizer and most chargers bundled in the same packaging as the batteries etc), it will not properly charge the batteries and eventually ruin them. You can have the best batteries in the world, but they quickly get ruined if you have a crap charger (and fact is, most chargers are rubbish). I've learnt this myself the hard way.

What do I recommend?

Have a look at Sanyo's Eneloop batteries (Sanyo used to be the best rechargeable manufacturer out there) - they come pre-charged, do not self discharge (well they do, but not by much), have good capacity (2000mAh+) and are rechargeable.

Ansmann also make similar type cells called "Ansmann max E". And Panasonic "Infinium".

As for chargers, ALWAYS use a "peak detect" charger which can charge individual cells (not pairs). Any other type of charger will knacker your batteries in the long run.

I recommend the AnsMann Powerline 5 mobile, which is fully automatic, and can be had for about £25 or alternatively Sanyo MQR06.(warning, some online retailers sell this with an EU plug with a UK adapter).

TelBoy 31 December 2010 11:32 AM

Got to love an Asperger reply :notworthy

kingofturds 31 December 2010 12:01 PM

I get duracell procell batteries free as the father in law has to use up his departments budget, or they reduce next years budget .

Leslie 31 December 2010 12:04 PM

That will be for the same reason that we see useless roadworks and building constructions coming up to the end of the financial year then.

Les

brendy76 31 December 2010 01:06 PM

Ebay and search for Fujicell 2800 (or higher rating) they are quite cheap, I bought around 20 and a small charger, means come Christmas all of their toys are catered for and can be reused. No more running out to the garage. Had them 2 years now and have saved me a fortune.

Ant 31 December 2010 01:16 PM

Tell your wife to go easy on the toys , there's a saving right there :D

Chip 31 December 2010 01:18 PM

Luckily we have these batteries in our stores at work.

Chip

MDS_WRX 31 December 2010 01:20 PM

I always use Duracel Ulta M3's they seem to last for a really long time plus they come with the indicator on the battery that you hold down to see how much life is left in them. Order 40 from 7dayshop for £14.89 delivered and it works out around 37p per battery which is pretty good value.

porky_wrx 31 December 2010 01:30 PM

I can get duracell procell packs of 10 for £170+vat from my work seem an ok battery

Blue by You 31 December 2010 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by porky_wrx (Post 9791050)
I can get duracell procell packs of 10 for £170+vat from my work seem an ok battery

£170? :freak3:

David Lock 31 December 2010 02:08 PM

Thanks all and thanks Ali or your thesis. Porky - I won't mention the minor typo :)

My charger is not the cheapest around but what I find is the rechargeables just don't hold their charge for very long. So if I suddenly need a couple in an emergency then they have gone flat! And if I put them in to charge I often forget to turn the bloody thing off so I am sure my office is a fire hazard.........

Just bought 30 Procells for £8.94 inc VAT and free p/p so I hope Paypal can cope with that.

David

porky_wrx 31 December 2010 02:31 PM

£1.70 replied on me iPhone bloody things lol

Lisawrx 31 December 2010 03:08 PM

These are my favourite batteries

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/16-x-Energizer...item19c1052d7d

Not cheap, but last loads longer than normal duracell/energizer etc. :thumb:

DCI Gene Hunt 31 December 2010 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Lisawrx (Post 9791191)
These are my favourite batteries

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/16-x-Energizer...item19c1052d7d

Not cheap, but last loads longer than normal duracell/energizer etc. :thumb:

:Suspiciou :D :norty:

Rampant Rabbit Thruster
♦ Material: PVC/ABS
♦ Batteries: 4 x AA (not included)
♦ Waterproof: No
♦ Special Function: Shaft & Clit Stim
♦ Length: 19cm - 7.5in
♦ Girth: 13cm - 5.1in

J4CKO 31 December 2010 04:55 PM

I got the kids rechargables for the Xbox controllers as i was getting expensive, so now they just launch rechargables into the bin, therefore, normal batteries are the cheaper option !

TelBoy 31 December 2010 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by J4CKO (Post 9791388)
i was getting expensive

You charge by the hour for Dad services? :Suspiciou

markjmd 31 December 2010 05:23 PM

B&Q own-brand alkalines are 16 for £3.49 - perfect for things like TV remotes or other relatively low-drain items.

If you've been put off rechargeables because of dubious performance in the past, it might be worth trying some of the new 'stay-charged' or 'pre-charged' NiMH types, especially for higher-value items like digital cameras (which one hopes will be treated a bit more carefully). Like ordinary NiMH, these have the advantage of no memory effect, meaning they don't lose any of their efficiency if they're frequently re-charged before they've gone completely flat, but unlike ordinary NiMH they won't discharge by themselves when they're not used. Old-style NiMH would go completely flat after just a few weeks if left idle, but these claim to stay 90% charged even after 6 months. The best value brand are probably 'GP Recyko', which normally go for around £5 or £6 for 4 depending on where you shop, or there's equivalent Duracells with similar technology at close to double the price. Amazon, ebay or somewhere like Farnell electronics are the best places for these.

David Lock 31 December 2010 06:34 PM

OK thanks, I might have another go at re-charging with some decent batteries.

If I forget to turn off the charger is this hazardous or will it harm the batteries?

I have a Jessops charger which does up to 4 x AA btw.

d

Dingdongler 31 December 2010 06:42 PM

Costco

markjmd 31 December 2010 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 9791607)
If I forget to turn off the charger is this hazardous or will it harm the batteries?

d

Should be fine, although I haven't consciously experimented with leaving them on to charge very much longer than normal. Check the output rating of your charger and the capacity of the batteries, and that should give you a good idea of how long one full charge should take.

hughes741 31 December 2010 08:51 PM

according to the gadget show a while ago they said that morrisons own brand were the best value for money

PaulC72 31 December 2010 09:03 PM

I don't really rate duracell I don't think cost v length of use beats buying a cheaper battery. imo of course.