ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Self certification less than seven days. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/865673-self-certification-less-than-seven-days.html)

paulr 29 December 2010 06:35 PM

Self certification less than seven days.

When does it start.

First day of illness or first day off work.

CSW_Scoobie 29 December 2010 06:39 PM

Technically the first day you are not available to work, e.g the first day you are sick. How your employer pays you would be contractual. Some employers don't pay for the first 3 days of sickness for example.

paulr 29 December 2010 06:46 PM

So if your shift pattern is 7 on 7 off and you are ill the first day off and it lasts 8 days. This means you would take the frist day off of your next set at work. Could you self certify.

PaulC72 29 December 2010 07:28 PM

IMO yes as you are not at work for the first 7 days, it would be like being ill over the weekend and still poorly on the Monday but ok on the Tue you would self cert for one day only assuming you only work mon-fri.

Toffee 29 December 2010 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by CSW_Scoobie (Post 9787951)
Technically the first day you are not available to work, e.g the first day you are sick. How your employer pays you would be contractual. Some employers don't pay for the first 3 days of sickness for example.

If I was your gaffer I would be thinking if you needed 7 days off work you must have been pretty ill, the fact that you were so ill you would think that you would have been the doctors? Therefore sick note please :D

Legally > If you were due to work 7 days straight and you never worked any of them you are within your right to put in a self cert, after 1 week a doctors sick note is required.

The norm is accepted as 40 hours over 5 days, however I have staff who work 12 days straight, one of there weeks is a 7 day week, if they had that full week off they could hand in a self cert.

But all said and done I would still be thinking wheres my sick note, if you were that ill why have you not been the doctors? this would leave me feeling suspicious about you sciving off work :thumb:

Just my thoughts :D

paulr 29 December 2010 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by 555EFC (Post 9788104)
If I was your gaffer I would be thinking if you needed 7 days off work you must have been pretty ill, the fact that you were so ill you would think that you would have been the doctors? Therefore sick note please :D

Legally > If you were due to work 7 days straight and you never worked any of them you are within your right to put in a self cert, after 1 week a doctors sick note is required.

The norm is accepted as 40 hours over 5 days, however I have staff who work 12 days straight, one of there weeks is a 7 day week, if they had that full week off they could hand in a self cert.

But all said and done I would still be thinking wheres my sick note, if you were that ill why have you not been the doctors? this would leave me feeling suspicious about you sciving off work :thumb:

Just my thoughts :D

My question was really about when the 7 days start. I guess if you were ill on your days off who would really know when it started.
As for a sick note for less than seven days, i read some doctors will do one, but there is a charge.

Mrfastbaz 29 December 2010 08:00 PM

weekends are included in self certification calculation say you work monday to friday but go off sick friday and the following monday then although you are only absent for 2 of your actual working days it counts as 4 days and the first day absent from work is your first day to be counted for self certification which might not necessarily be the first day you are sick example go to work on a monday sore throat temperature have the next 3 days off with cold symptoms return to work friday you have 3 days self certs to be recorded upon return to work you will need a "unfit for work note "as they are called now for the eight day onwards if you were still sick

Toffee 29 December 2010 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by paulr (Post 9788136)
My question was really about when the 7 days start. I guess if you were ill on your days off who would really know when it started.
As for a sick note for less than seven days, i read some doctors will do one, but there is a charge.

Sick note starts from when your sickness made you absent from work, if your illness started when you where not at work this is irrelevant to the business, they are concerned with your "unauthorised absence"

Toffee 29 December 2010 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Mrfastbaz (Post 9788148)
weekends are included in self certification calculation say you work monday to friday but go off sick friday and the following monday then although you are only absent for 2 of your actual working days it counts as 4 days and the first day absent from work is your first day to be counted for self certification which might not necessarily be the first day you are sick example go to work on a monday sore throat temperature have the next 3 days off with cold symptoms return to work friday you have 3 days self certs to be recorded upon return to work you will need a "unfit for work note "as they are called now for the eight day onwards if you were still sick

IF your not supposed to be at work the weekend does not count, on a "Return To Work" interview it will ask your 1st day of absence, last day of absence and the number of days absent from work, if you missed Friday and Monday you were absent for 2 days.

scatty 29 December 2010 09:19 PM

as above......

first day of sickness is when you phone up saying you aint going to be in.....

Mrfastbaz 30 December 2010 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by 555EFC (Post 9788308)
IF your not supposed to be at work the weekend does not count, on a "Return To Work" interview it will ask your 1st day of absence, last day of absence and the number of days absent from work, if you missed Friday and Monday you were absent for 2 days.

i think you will find that weekends are included in the 7 dyas self cet i am a manager in the nhs and we count weekends and also my wife works for a solicitors and on the odd occassion she has been off 7 days includes weekends even though both she and i are not contratced to work weekends unless it is paid overtime which we do not do. so there fore absemt friday and monday you are absen 4 days we have been told by our hr dept if we are fit to work on a saturday even though my dept is not contratced to work saturday we have to call in friday and say we are fit to work on the saturday then the sickness period finsihes on the friday...

CSW_Scoobie 30 December 2010 04:28 PM

On the direct gov website it is quite clear to get SSP (Statutory Sick Pay) you need to declare all days that you are not at work as sick days. However you will not be paid SSP until you have been absent from work for three days that you would normally be there.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...ured/DG_175843

paulr 30 December 2010 05:32 PM

Thanks for all the replies.