ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Can I remove something from my car to make it more secure? (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/86563-can-i-remove-something-from-my-car-to-make-it-more-secure.html)

akshay67 10 April 2002 06:35 PM

Can I remove something from the car to make it pretty much unstealable? I want to do something discreet (i.e. not removing the steering wheel etc) - is it possible to remove the ECU or something from the engine so that if someone gets past the alarm and immobiliser they can't steal it?

Thanks for any info guys.

RichS 10 April 2002 06:45 PM

You could remove the ECU.

If you lift the passenger footwell carpet from the front edge under the dash (need to undo a couple of plastic carpet screws), you'll see the metal ECU shield. Four or five bolts later and this comes off. (watch your fingers on the sharp edges!)

The ECU can then be unplugged and removed.

Should you remove the ECU?
I don't see why not, but I guess every time you do it you'll be resetting it (or partially resetting it).
Therefore, I don't think it's such a good idea to do it too often...

Rich :)

323roy 10 April 2002 07:14 PM

Find out about getting a M.R.S. kill switch fitted ,i have one on mine ,it is linked to the drivers door and injectors ,is very effective because it allows the thief to drive out of harms way and he has no chance of nicking your scooby!!!!!
cost about 200 quid
can be a pain if you forget to hit the switch yourself !

care3 10 April 2002 07:30 PM

snap off seering wheel?

jimbob2 10 April 2002 07:38 PM

Remove the locks - one less thing for the scallies to have a go at.

Looks good too

carl 10 April 2002 07:39 PM

Someone once advised removing the crank position sensor. Don't know where it is though.

tweenierob 10 April 2002 07:40 PM

If you remove the fuel pump fuse, they may get to the end of the road on the petrol, but if they boot the car it will stall straight away..
ROB

dhorwich 10 April 2002 07:50 PM

Or the centre (main) HT lead..... no spark no go..!!

pslewis 10 April 2002 07:53 PM

Fuel pump fuse - always my favourite

Pete

sammyh 10 April 2002 08:09 PM

Engine :D
i'll get my coat..............

ScoobyK 10 April 2002 08:28 PM

Dopey I know, but how do I tell which one the fuel pump fuse is ?!?!

JohnD 10 April 2002 08:29 PM

Remove the ECU or Crank sensor by all means - but each time you leave it? Not really on is it! Plus un-plug, re-plug and so on is a recipe for problems if done too much.
Trouble is, the scum won`t know the thing is immobile until he has broken in and already done some damage?
Visual deterrants may put them off, e.g. wheel clamps, removable steering wheel etc.?
JohnD

tweenierob 10 April 2002 08:30 PM

cant you read japanese????
:) Rob

pslewis 10 April 2002 08:30 PM

Its the one that smells of petrol!!

Pete

akshay67 10 April 2002 09:56 PM

Thanks for the replies guys - much appreciated.

I want to avoid visual deterants as it will show the owner is away.

I was considering the ECU removal - is it a pain to remove? Also, if I remove it, does it mean that the alarm will stop functioning?

I'm also worried if the alarm goes off when I'm away - and then what happens? I can't really give the keys to neighbours, dont really trust them (jealous of scooby). I think I may be stuck here.

boomer 10 April 2002 10:15 PM

akshay67,

you don't say what model of car you have?

More recent Scoobies allow "superlocking" which will prevent the engine from being started even with the key - read your manual for details.

However even that won't stop someone lifting the car and towing it away!

mb

CAPTAIN CAVEMAN 10 April 2002 10:15 PM

take the wheels off:p;)

jonc 10 April 2002 10:29 PM

I don't know where the fuses are, but on the Fiat Coupe 20VT you can easiliy remove thefuse for the fuel pump. That pretty much renders it undrivable, and not sure if a theif will think to look for the fuse or even have one for the car at the time

jonc 10 April 2002 10:33 PM

..or instead of taking something away, add a steering lock or 2, gear stick lock, foot pedal lock, failing that leave a Rotwieller(spelling?) or pitbull terrier in the car.

Ray_li 10 April 2002 11:35 PM

HT lead :D

yoza 10 April 2002 11:42 PM

Instead of taking some thing out............
leave some thing in.......
like a bowl of water......
a bowl of pedigree chum....
and of course the rottweiller...:D

akshay67 11 April 2002 12:37 AM

Boomer,

Its a MY99.

Rotweiler left in there for a couple of weeks would probably die of starvation.

I think I may have to remove the ECU - but would that disengage the alarm? I'm scared that the car will probably get vandalised, but I guess I take that risk anyway, and it doesn't require a rocket scientist to key a car.

So I take it that the cat 1 immobilisers are not good enough against the determined theives?

yoza 11 April 2002 12:46 AM

Didnt realise you were leaving it for a couple of weeks!!
What you need is to keep it out of sight,if the local scum see it in the same place for a while itll go,what ever you take off it!
Do u know anyone one with a lock up?
Or do you live near an airport?
If it was me......and I didnt have a garage Id pay the 35 quid and leave it a Local Airport in their secure compound only 10 mins from me.

scoobyvirgin 11 April 2002 01:03 AM

Drivers seat maybe????
sorry!!!

gibbo_ireland 11 April 2002 08:43 AM

What about a wheel clamp like the plod use?

Im looking at getting one for that extra bit of security, just want something easy to fit but worthwhile.

Dont think thatd get past that easy enough, or at least might make them go after something else...

http://www.powerlock.nl/uk/wheelclamp.htm

Paulo P 11 April 2002 10:28 AM

Just a word of advice

be careful what you say on here because of thieving scum om here :( if they want to nick a scoob they can take fuses, crank sensors etc with them in their tool kit :( Just be careful out there because Richard Askew sent me details of my full name and address from a post I put on scoobynet about who owns a scoob :eek: if you use your real name (as I do) and put where you are from it is possible for thieving scum to find your house and nick your car :eek: Its a scarey world out there if you own a decent motor :(

akshay67 11 April 2002 12:50 PM

Just found out that my local airport will look after the car. Now I'm worried about parking it close to other cars - i.e. I come back and find nice door dents. I never ever park in car parks for this reason )if I do I take up 2 spaces! I doubt I can do this at this place...

Diesel 11 April 2002 06:44 PM

That Powerlock wheel clamp only goes up to 15"...

Where was that fuel pump fuse guys - under the dash, or under the bonnet?

D