ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Off to Austria for the winter... Anyone know of some snow wheels and tyres? (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/865357-off-to-austria-for-the-winter-anyone-know-of-some-snow-wheels-and-tyres.html)

Marcuscooby 27 December 2010 09:51 AM

Off to Austria for the winter... Anyone know of some snow wheels and tyres?

Hi guys,
Right first I'd like to say it's not me that's going but a friend who is spending the ski season out in st Anton in Austria.
He left yesterday and rang me last night asking me to find out about snow wheels and tyres because I think he struggled for the last 35 miles.
He has snow chains but they are a nightmare putting them on and off.
You can't drive on Tarmac.
I know you can get wheels that fit but I've not got a clue where to start for him.

He has a MY99 saloon and standard brakes and calipers.

Anyone have any idea where I can source these?

Cheers

Celicakid 27 December 2010 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Marcuscooby (Post 9783998)
Hi guys,
Right first I'd like to say it's not me that's going but a friend who is spending the ski season out in st Anton in Austria.
He left yesterday and rang me last night asking me to find out about snow wheels and tyres because I think he struggled for the last 35 miles.
He has snow chains but they are a nightmare putting them on and off.
You can't drive on Tarmac.
I know you can get wheels that fit but I've not got a clue where to start for him.

He has a MY99 saloon and standard brakes and calipers.

Anyone have any idea where I can source these?

Cheers

He does know Snow Chains are for driving on so many Feet of Snow so he shouldn't be putting them on at the first sign of snow :P

As for Snow Tyres, sorry but he hasn't got a hope in hell as even Germany and Polland are struggling with Winter tyres the since he's already left, it's just luck of trying every Tyre Fitting Centre on his travels.

In the Event of someone having winter tyres on here which he may be passing, they'll need to know the Tyre Size, His Route through the Uk and Where he current is :P

Marcuscooby 27 December 2010 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Celicakid (Post 9784202)
He does know Snow Chains are for driving on so many Feet of Snow so he shouldn't be putting them on at the first sign of snow :P

As for Snow Tyres, sorry but he hasn't got a hope in hell as even Germany and Polland are struggling with Winter tyres the since he's already left, it's just luck of trying every Tyre Fitting Centre on his travels.

In the Event of someone having winter tyres on here which he may be passing, they'll need to know the Tyre Size, His Route through the Uk and Where he current is :P

I don't think I actually said he had put the chains on. Because he hasn't needed too. Hes lived and driven in ski resorts for a few years and is fed up of putting the chains on and off when u start to get stuck. And its not just tyres but wheels and tyres he's after ie thinner wheels.
I guess u didn't understand the initial post. Sorry.
Any further help would be appreciated :-)

LandyChris 27 December 2010 01:48 PM

Where is he now? Already in Austria?
I'm about 60 miles away from St. Anton, tires should not be a problem over here. (a good friend of mine is working at a tire store, as far as I know they also have a shop about 15 miles away from St. Anton).
A post in the forum of the Subaru Owners Club should also help with the alloys. (i can do it for him)
just seend pm to me and I will try to help.
BR from Austria
Chris

-------- 27 December 2010 06:16 PM

Its best if he bought 14,15 or max. 16 inch Wheels. The bigger the diameter the more expensive it will be to buy tyres. The average width is gonna be 5-7,so your lookin at 185-205 tyres.Again this is the maximum width you should be lookin for.TBH. he should do his home work then tell you wot he wants.

Celicakid 28 December 2010 09:09 PM

Size of wheels has he currently have on his car?

Like Above post Smaller the better so it's best to find out the PCD Rating and Off-Set so you'll know what wheels fit his car but there's tons of small factors that has to be taken into account for example (Not True Figures):

if You car weights 1900kg = 91 Loading Rating of Tyre, but you change the tyres to say 83 Loading Rating then the car is too heavy for the tyres therefore will wear very fast from new tyres to illegals in the matter of a couple months and can pop the tyre right off the bread.

joey_turbo 28 December 2010 09:38 PM

MY99 standard wheels are 16's.
He'll have 4 pot brakes, if we are talking about a turbo model, so there won't be a lot of 15's that'll go over them easily. PCD, as always on a classic is 5X100.