ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Frozen wipers (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/864243-frozen-wipers.html)

skeeter 16 December 2010 09:58 PM

Frozen wipers

Hi all

have been struggling the last few days with frozen wiper blades. The washers work but the blades themselves freeze and then wont wipe the screen.

Does any know of wipers made of something that doesnt freeze?

S

m@t STImulation 16 December 2010 10:03 PM

put something over the whole screen problem solved? no ice at all

skeeter 16 December 2010 10:07 PM

it happens when driving along - i think the very cold air and washer water causes it.....

The real cause is the poor design where the wipers sit above the bonnet line unlike 'modern' design where they tuck away under the bonnet line and out of the wind.

S

stiler83 16 December 2010 10:08 PM

You can get Silicone wiper blades. These freeze at a lower temp but they do wear quite a bit quicker than the std type.

skeeter 16 December 2010 10:10 PM

thanks - will give them a try

S

joey_turbo 16 December 2010 10:51 PM

I find that my passenger one freezes, and hardly touches the screen. I just flex it back into shape, and it seems to work.

On a side note, Subaru Foresters have heated wiper blades, as part of their all weather pack. I'm sure you could transfer them onto an Impreza easy enough.

muzzler 17 December 2010 09:45 AM

Legacy's have this too but both are not heated blades, but a section of the windscreen where the blades sit that that heats up and unfreezes them....works really well.

Dan Clark 17 December 2010 10:26 AM

Put your heater on windscreen and on the hottest setting.

Should keep the screen and blades warm enough to stop the freezing (works for me). :)

D1CCY 17 December 2010 10:42 AM

Its all the pivots that freeze. I pull them away from screen and give pivots a good dose of deicer then lever them about a bit.

joey_turbo 17 December 2010 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by muzzler (Post 9769608)
Legacy's have this too but both are not heated blades, but a section of the windscreen where the blades sit that that heats up and unfreezes them....works really well.

Oh Right, always wondered about that, and thought replacement blades wouldn't be cheap if heated.

rossyboy 17 December 2010 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dan Clark (Post 9769661)
Put your heater on windscreen and on the hottest setting.

Should keep the screen and blades warm enough to stop the freezing (works for me). :)

I do this aswell, but I find if the temps are -2 or lower it has limited effect. Thankfully the passenger side is worse.

Will try the de-icer idea I think.

alcazar 17 December 2010 01:35 PM

AFAIK, it's not the blades that freeze, but the pivot points as mentioned. In REALLY low temeperatures, (we had -21 last week:eek:), ice just forms along the blade too.

Don't forget the windchill too: at 60mph it puts the temperature feel down more than 10 degrees.

On mine, I just stop, get out every few miles, lift the wiper arm and let it go back onto the screen. This breaks away any ice formed.

B0DSKI 17 December 2010 02:43 PM

I've got PIAAs one mine which I belive are silicone based and they have still been freezing and being next to useless the last few mornings

white.akita 17 December 2010 02:52 PM

i just pour warm water on them then give the pivot points a quick squeeze to free them and they are fine, has always worked for me.