ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Projects (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/)
-   -   DBM Bug Winter Rebuild - Again (https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-40/863693-dbm-bug-winter-rebuild-again.html)

frayz 22 December 2010 10:36 PM

Header tank is a large, shaped thick o-ring.

JonMc 23 December 2010 04:41 PM

Cheers Frayz, do you know anywhere that does replacements:?

As for the car, stereo surround and centre console are out and on their way to Manchester to be flocked - big up to https://www.scoobynet.com/member.php?u=113684 who has sorted me a great price and as I have one of his dashes already I know the work will be spot on.

Whilst the dash was out I tidied up the stereo wiring, getting rid of the horrible autoleads loom and splicing the Alpine connector straight into the plug from the autolead connector meaning I've lost about a foot of excess wiring whilst meaning the job is still reversible, not that I want to change anything since I got my Alpine HU in there.

KAS35RSTI 23 December 2010 05:13 PM

Nice work mate. Where did you get the motorbike mirrors from & did you modify the mirror plates to make them fit?

JonMc 23 December 2010 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Aladdin (Post 9780062)
Nice work mate. Where did you get the motorbike mirrors from & did you modify the mirror plates to make them fit?

Just got a set of these mate, and then colour coded them:thumb:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-07...Q5fAccessories

KAS35RSTI 23 December 2010 06:30 PM

Nice one geez. Do they fit ok?

JonMc 23 December 2010 06:33 PM

The fit is fine, I'm not convinced by the security of the arms, they do vibrate out of place and there's a little surface rust on the arms. I'll sort all of that during the rebuild, but a drop of super glue on the ball joint worked a treat until someone banged against it in a car park:mad:

KAS35RSTI 23 December 2010 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 9780159)
The fit is fine, I'm not convinced by the security of the arms, they do vibrate out of place and there's a little surface rust on the arms. I'll sort all of that during the rebuild, but a drop of super glue on the ball joint worked a treat until someone banged against it in a car park:mad:

Daam! They do look nice though & at a good price. Will defo have a go at them. What is visibility like?

JonMc 23 December 2010 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Aladdin (Post 9780168)
Daam! They do look nice though & at a good price. Will defo have a go at them. What is visibility like?

Surprisingly usable. I've had M3 and Ganador mirrors on previous cars and these are so much better. They're solid enough to be able to see what you're looking at and can be aligned to actually see something.

KAS35RSTI 23 December 2010 08:02 PM

Sounds good. Hinted out to the Mrs a while back what i want for our anniversery :D

Cheers :thumb:

JonMc 29 December 2010 06:45 PM

Roof lining is out, map reading lamp bracket is removed - that's the point of no return reached. Tomorrow will be the fitting of the roof flap:D

Shopping list for the rest of the project is as follows:

TD05 18G
STI Pinks (Bought but not paid for)
TGV Delete (Just waiting for a mate to do the welding of the manifold)
Another FB Tuning remap
Exedy pink and flywheel
K-sport 365mm 8-pots for the front
STI Brembos for the rear
STI pedal set (en route courtesay of Revolution)
Rear diffuser
Flocked centre console (being done by Oh-Flock as we type)

Also considering

ABW fibreglass bootlid
S202 spoiler
BC Coilovers

prodriverules 29 December 2010 07:17 PM

No holding back on the build then mate,she should end up a belter of a scoob Jon:thumb:

JonMc 29 December 2010 07:18 PM

And still buying a lottery ticket every weekend to pay for it all:D

prodriverules 29 December 2010 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 9788056)
And still buying a lottery ticket every weekend to pay for it all:D

:lol1::lol1::lol1:
Im trying to talk my missis into letting me go six speed but im failing miserably at the moment:(

JonMc 29 December 2010 07:29 PM

I reckon I need about £4.5k to do it all. I'm about £4499 short at the moment:eek:

prodriverules 29 December 2010 07:34 PM

Doing the good mods is never cheap,i was shocked when i forged my engine at how much it all's costs just to do that.

Blaster_1 29 December 2010 09:15 PM

Hi mate any news on the rear diffuser yet think i might just order 1 anyway LOL

JonMc 29 December 2010 09:18 PM

Not got it yet, waiting for the delivery, but I think he's sold out:wonder:

darms 29 December 2010 10:03 PM

Good luck tomorrow with the Flap fitting mate ;) Gonna do mine early next year ;)

JonMc 29 December 2010 10:08 PM

Give me a shout if you need a hand, it's been relatively easy so far and I've not used Frayz guide yet. Will be printing it off later though:thumb:

martin850 29 December 2010 10:12 PM

Looking forward to see how you get on with the vent Jon, sounds like it's not going too bad so far. Just mind your fingers ;)

JonMc 29 December 2010 10:28 PM

There's only one bit that uses a stanley knife so I should survive - the rest is power cutting tools:eek:

martin850 29 December 2010 10:36 PM

Oh dear that could be interesting. Try to make sure you don't cut too many limbs off mate I need your help with mine :)

JonMc 29 December 2010 10:38 PM

I'm sure they just grow back:wonder:

martin850 29 December 2010 10:43 PM

:lol:

frayz 30 December 2010 01:40 PM

Use the guide and its straight forward Jon :thumb:

JonMc 30 December 2010 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by frayz (Post 9789306)
Use the guide and its straight forward Jon :thumb:

I have it printed out, but having read it haven't needed to go back to it yet. Just over half way through dremelling my hole:thumb:

Pics to follow:D

JonMc 30 December 2010 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Blaster_1 (Post 9788310)
Hi mate any news on the rear diffuser yet think i might just order 1 anyway LOL

Won't be happening mate, despite him showing 3 available when I ordered it he now says he's sold out and has refunded my payment:mad:

frayz 30 December 2010 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by JonMc (Post 9789308)
I have it printed out, but having read it haven't needed to go back to it yet. Just over half way through dremelling my hole:thumb:

Pics to follow:D

Sounds good Jon,

Hopefully the guide makes things easy enough to follow that doing the job should be clear having read it once :)

rickya 30 December 2010 02:29 PM

I might pop round in a bit to take over with the dremel!! lol I could cut out another hole in the passenger roof area for a type of rear gunner turret!!

JonMc 30 December 2010 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by frayz (Post 9789362)
Sounds good Jon,

Hopefully the guide makes things easy enough to follow that doing the job should be clear having read it once :)

The guide is excellent mate, without it I don't think I would have known where to start, but once your off it is fairly straight-forward:thumb:

2 inches left to do with the dremel - will be about 6-hours work all in for this one, including scotch-briting the whle roof and painting the inside of the flap:thumb: