ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Independent Scotland (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/863000-independent-scotland.html)

JTaylor 07 December 2010 01:22 PM

Independent Scotland

SiPiE has it on his wish list, what do others think?

Wurzel 07 December 2010 01:28 PM

Slip the mooring lines, let it float away and see how long it takes for anyone to notice :D

Steve vRS 07 December 2010 01:28 PM

They are welcome to it. Aberdeen, St. Fergus and Sullom Voe have to remain in England though ;)

Steve

Clarebabes 07 December 2010 01:38 PM

I am annoyed that things like tuition fees, hospital car parking etc. are free in Scotland and Wales, yet they are not here. Also, they are stopping us from having an extra hour of light in the evening, so I would say, "see ya!" ;)

SJ_Skyline 07 December 2010 01:56 PM

I guess there's an assumption that Shetland and Orkney will go along with Scotland.

If this is not the case then Scots teritorial waters to the East would be hemmed in to where the English border and the Orkney border would meet about 120 miles east of Aberdeen.

Stick that one in your pipe and smoke it Salmond ;)

mamoon2 07 December 2010 01:57 PM

Do the Scots not like being part of The United Kingdom of Great Britain anymore then?

They already have their own parliament so why break up the UK?

Can any Scots on here shed some light (yer whiskey swilling gits:D)

stef_2010 07 December 2010 01:57 PM

The feelings mutual I assure you !

And we're keeping Aberdeen, thats OUR oil money !

GlesgaKiss 07 December 2010 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by mamoon2 (Post 9753336)
Do the Scots not like being part of The United Kingdom of Great Britain anymore then?

Didn't even need our own parliament anyway. The building was the biggest waste of money probably in Scottish history. It wouldn't really be a bad thing in my opinion depending on the government that came out of it. But it's almost guaranteed to be going completely the wrong way, and will probably leave us worse off in the long run. We were doing well as part of the UK when laissez-faire economics were the order of the day and industry was thriving. Not sure how we would be better off now out of the union? Sure, there's the oil money, but supposing we get sole claim on that (doubtful) it will still run out eventually. And even before it does it will be continually shrinking.

Geezer 07 December 2010 02:40 PM

Go independent, and see how much money England actually puts in to Scotland ;)

I'd still visit, I like the place, but it wouldn't be aloss to the UK.

Geezer

Richy P1984 07 December 2010 02:43 PM

Would be interesting to see the development made when you are only get tax from 5million people instead of 60.

GlesgaKiss 07 December 2010 02:45 PM

Handbags ladies.

NINJA ED 07 December 2010 02:49 PM

:lol: Good old sottish english banter and people wonder why country falling to bits. Scotland and england isnt ours anymore anyway all the illegals get more benifits and more say wont be long before were ALL a minority :eek2:

stef_2010 07 December 2010 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Geezer (Post 9753392)
Go independent, and see how much money England actually puts in to Scotland ;)

I'd still visit, I like the place, but it wouldn't be aloss to the UK.

Geezer

No-one said it would :)

Originally Posted by Richy P1984 (Post 9753398)
Would be interesting to see the development made when you are only get tax from 5million people instead of 60.

we'd do just fine

And for the record, I've still not forgiven you for what you done to William Wallace all those years ago:hjtwofing

alcazar 07 December 2010 03:28 PM

Let them go. I give them three years before they are going cap-in-hand to Westminster, the EC and the IMF;)

ALi-B 07 December 2010 03:31 PM

Devolved spending in Scotland alone costs us almost £35 billion. (compared to Wales with £15 billion over 2009/2010). Taking into account other departments, total spending up there is much much higher (spending per capita is apparently 22% higher per person than in England).

Cut 'em loose I say, and leave Scoobychick in charge :D:p

Scoobychick 07 December 2010 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 9753307)
I am annoyed that things like tuition fees, hospital car parking etc. are free in Scotland and Wales, yet they are not here. Also, they are stopping us from having an extra hour of light in the evening, so I would say, "see ya!" ;)

Our prescriptions will be free from next year too (currently only £3.00) :king:

Scoobychick 07 December 2010 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 9753478)
Cut 'em loose I say, and leave Scoobychick in charge :D:p

Ha ha, first thing I'd do would be to make whiskey free to all ;)

GlesgaKiss 07 December 2010 03:39 PM

Cheers for the tax money lads.

Clarebabes 07 December 2010 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Scoobychick (Post 9753492)
Our prescriptions will be free from next year too (currently only £3.00) :king:

See, it's not fair! :mad: :(

Wurzel 07 December 2010 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 9753557)
See, it's not fair! :mad: :(

Yeah but those Jock quacks only prescribe porridge for all ailments, so it is not that bad, porridge is not that expensive is it :D

Devildog 07 December 2010 06:09 PM

LOL

This has been done to death before. The point is, if the territorial waters are where they are supposed to be, Scotland will be be fine. Otherwise not.

So an independent Scotland should work without a prodominantly English government changing the boundaries to suit istelf. It's been tried before (check your political history)

What people forget, or perhaps are not told, is that Scotland only needs to be funded by (the South of) England, (the North is in deficit as well), because the oil revenues have, since the fist well was drilled, flowed straight to London without passing go.

SO you see, its not really an England funds Scotland, and Wales, its more that London funds the rest of England, Wales and Scotland. Those of you sitting North of Watford could do well to adopt a more humble approach :)

What is really telling for me, however, is that Westminster absolutely, catagorically and venhemently does not want to lose Scotland to independence.

If we were such a drain on the rest of the UK, why would reluctance exist, I wonder?

Funkii Munkii 07 December 2010 06:17 PM

Let Wales and Scotland go, Wales wouldn't last 3 years on their own, they'd be burning cottages as a fuel source and once the oil and gas goes Scotland will become a 3rd world country within 10 years and the streets of London will be full of Scots sleeping rough in doorways smelling of Special Brew and Wee, wait a minute....

:D

wayne9t9 07 December 2010 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Clarebabes (Post 9753307)

Hospital car parking is not free in Wales, not at my local hospital anyway and neither are tuition fees, my son owed thousands and they even pestered him for repayments while he was out of work. Prescriptions are free though :)

tony de wonderful 07 December 2010 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Devildog (Post 9753732)
What is really telling for me, however, is that Westminster absolutely, catagorically and venhemently does not want to lose Scotland to independence.

If we were such a drain on the rest of the UK, why would reluctance exist, I wonder?

Get over yourself.

Scotland is just another region of GB, like Cheshire or Sussex.

Scottish Nationalists make out that Scottish independence is the worlds number 1 world-historical issue, but they just want power for themselves on the back of anachronistic national chauvinism and a national inferiority complex. Ironically they are willing to sell national sovereignty to the EU for almost nothing.

Makes about as much sense as resurrecting the kingdom of Wessex.

madscoob 07 December 2010 06:31 PM

let em stay on the condition that the sign saying welcombe to scotland on the motorway gets SPONSORED BY ENGLAND ON IT . bloody passengers they are the reason along with the welsh and others that uni fees are going up , if everyone paid a fair amount the bill would be less . and then most working peoples kids would get a better education , same goes for precriptions and council tax , i bothered to work out my areas council bill 178million devided by total number of people over 18 works out at 124quid a year each for everyone working or not THATS FAIR not 138quid a month because so many aint paying a bean . its like school diners they proudly boast they spend 58pence on a school diner , if thats true why are they 2.25quid ile tell you why cos working people are paying for freeloaders :mad: rant over

RA Dunk 07 December 2010 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by mamoon2 (Post 9753336)

Personally I couldent give a flying fcuk TBH, either way were going to end up being run by muppets, run by muppets south of the border, run by muppets north of the border, whats the difference?

Devildog 07 December 2010 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful (Post 9753770)
Get over yourself.

Scotland is just another region of GB, like Cheshire or Sussex.

Scottish Nationalists make out that Scottish independence is the worlds number 1 world-historical issue, but they just want power for themselves on the back of anachronistic national chauvinism and a national inferiority complex. Ironically they are willing to sell national sovereignty to the EU for almost nothing.

Makes about as much sense as resurrecting the kingdom of Wessex.

The get over yourself comment would maybe have worked had I been pro independence. :)

But as I'm not, and the post was based upon fact and the question was put out of curiosity only, you now look like a bit of a **** :D

Steve T 07 December 2010 07:14 PM

I class myself as English, not British.I have Welsh relatives and many Scottish friend,s but if Scotland and Wales want their independence ,let them have it. England would be independent then.:thumb:

warrenm2 07 December 2010 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss (Post 9753366)
Didn't even need our own parliament anyway. The building was the biggest waste of money probably in Scottish history

Not quite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darien_scheme

JTaylor 07 December 2010 08:05 PM

:lol1: