ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Rear Arch Reapir Pannel (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/862935-rear-arch-reapir-pannel.html)

TurboAndy 06 December 2010 10:27 PM

Rear Arch Reapir Pannel

I have a 2001 STI (Bugeye), the drivers side rear arch is starting to rust, looking at it, it looks like its had a poor repair in the past.

Does anyone know if you can get a repair pannel so I can cut out the rot.

Cheers.

prodriverules 06 December 2010 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by TurboAndy (Post 9752574)
I have a 2001 STI (Bugeye), the drivers side rear arch is starting to rust, looking at it, it looks like its had a poor repair in the past.

Cheers.

Just make you own piece mate it can't be that big a piece rusty?

my94wrx 06 December 2010 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by TurboAndy (Post 9752574)

Cheers.

depending on how big it is try and find one at a breakers and cut the arch panel out, that would be easiest.

TurboAndy 09 December 2010 09:03 PM

Cheers guys.

350bhptype~R 09 December 2010 09:10 PM

you can buy new quarter panels mate but expensive as it comes as a complete panel , they dont do a repair arch yet. is the rust just on 1 side?

TurboAndy 09 December 2010 09:14 PM

Ive all ready priced up a quarter pannel and at over £500 I think ill give it a miss.

Its only on the drivers side.

350bhptype~R 09 December 2010 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by TurboAndy (Post 9757589)
Ive all ready priced up a quarter pannel and at over £500 I think ill give it a miss.

Its only on the drivers side.

Think you will find its already had a quarter panel on that side sometime in its life thats why its going rusty. it will be rusting from inside out maybe becuz it was never sealed and covered in cavity wax. seen this problem loads of times.

TurboAndy 09 December 2010 09:31 PM

funny you should say that, it has and very poorly done too. God only knows what it will look like after the winter.

madscoob 09 December 2010 09:42 PM

get some krust on the inside first . cut out the crap . then when welding in a new piece use a sheet of copper behind what you are welding making sure the new piece is small enough to drop through the cut hole . hold the new piece in place with a bolt welded to it using the eart clamp on bolt . the copper will stop mig welder from burning holes while you fill in the small gap between old panel and new then gring off weld level treat with krust when warm then fill n spray . make sure you krust the inside of panel when done as mig welding causes condensation which causes rust

350bhptype~R 09 December 2010 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by TurboAndy (Post 9757629)
funny you should say that, it has and very poorly done too. God only knows what it will look like after the winter.

the only way you will ever stop the rust and put that right is by having a new quarter panel on an done properly but that will cost you at least £1400+ and if any1 quotes less id say you will end up with the same problem again 18month down the line.