ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   MOT - Rust questions (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/862872-mot-rust-questions.html)

The Zohan 06 December 2010 04:12 PM

MOT - Rust questions

3 Attachment(s)
Hi

Friends Ford Ka has some rust on the sill - see pics below. As you can see it has perforated the sill in several places under the kickplate on the drivers side. Car otherwise sound and solid. The Ka is a Y plate my00 model FWIW

Is this an MOT failure and if so a rough estimate to fix would be real helpful.

Attachment 66889

Attachment 66890

Attachment 66891

Many thanks

Paul

cossie-nutter 06 December 2010 06:44 PM

Yes mate mot failure! About £200 for a garage to do it! Or sand it back and fill it and spray it up! cost ya about £20 to do that! However it wont last! But enough for the mot! lol

Mr Windscreen 06 December 2010 06:55 PM

My wifes Ka failed for the same thing mate but her rust was underneath the sill and part of the front floor area. Very common on Ka,s. It will need to be cut out and a new piece of metal welded in, i was lucky only cost £100 to do.

C17RPA 06 December 2010 07:23 PM

defo a fail mate :(

my94wrx 07 December 2010 11:48 AM

as above definitely a fail it depends how good you want it doing approx £200 for the sill nicely fitted, filled and painted or £100 for it welded in and under sealed.

ALi-B 07 December 2010 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by cossie-nutter (Post 9752039)
Or sand it back and fill it and spray it up! cost ya about £20 to do that!

I hope you mean weld it! Not using bodyfiller to patch a hole on a structural section. :cuckoo:

Seeing its perforated on the top corner of the sill, and its the upper side, the underside is probably worse. Best to replace the whole section as its weakend. In a front impact, the car will fold on the sill right at the point under the door and trapping the driver as the door wont open. Side impact; don't go there. And if its ever jacked up using the supplied sill jack it will probably fall through the sill. If its raised on a 2 post vehicle lift, the complete section is liable to collapse (seen it happen).

The Zohan 08 December 2010 08:25 AM

Thanks chaps - information passed on

cossie-nutter 14 December 2010 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by ALi-B (Post 9753135)
I hope you mean weld it! Not using bodyfiller to patch a hole on a structural section. :cuckoo:

Seeing its perforated on the top corner of the sill, and its the upper side, the underside is probably worse. Best to replace the whole section as its weakend. In a front impact, the car will fold on the sill right at the point under the door and trapping the driver as the door wont open. Side impact; don't go there. And if its ever jacked up using the supplied sill jack it will probably fall through the sill. If its raised on a 2 post vehicle lift, the complete section is liable to collapse (seen it happen).

I meant if you want to bodge it! :thumb: