ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Speedo + other probs (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/862830-speedo-other-probs.html)

newman90 06 December 2010 08:49 AM

Speedo + other probs

Hi guys, once again more probs with my wrx,

Just fit a VF23 to my scoob as my td05 got cooked along with my bigends. i was driving it back from the workshop all was ok when my speedo just dropped to 0 and now will not move off it.. Is the speedo all mechanical? 1996 WRX, and also the EML is now on since i done the turbo change, all seems to be running ok? will have the check the codes.. but any headsup?

dan

kevin wrx 06 December 2010 09:25 AM

i would say cable driven if cable snapped it will throw up a fault code like mine did and also wouldnt boost past 4500 rpm when this happened

newman90 06 December 2010 11:02 AM

Ah okay mate, will it feel like hitting fuel cut or will it just not boost?

kevin wrx 06 December 2010 11:33 AM

it will be like hitting fuel cut,it will boost hard then stop and start holding back at 4500 rpm,as soon as i replaced my cable my car was back to its former self of runing spot on.the ecu puts iit into safe mode.

Jamz_ 06 December 2010 11:44 AM

Or its fallen out of the clocks, put your hand up behind the dash clocks (will have to take the bottom cowel off) and have a feel around the left hand side of the clock and see if the connector has fallen off. Mine has done that a few times, has the MPH converter on the back

newman90 06 December 2010 11:58 AM

Ah that wud explain a lot, as I have replaced the turbo I had the exhaust off etc cud I have maybe nocked the speedo converter atal?

Jamz_ 06 December 2010 12:47 PM

Hmm the converter isnt anywhere under the bonnet, its behind the dash, so no way you could have knocked it... the other end of it goes into the gearbox so maybe knocked it when removing the exhaust?

newman90 06 December 2010 01:11 PM

Just had a look in my bay, and the converter is infact in the engine bay between the gearbox and where it goes into the firewall, it had a company name and contact number on it so im gonna try get hold of them. Just seems strange how it was working then all of a studden dropped to 0 while i was driving.

Jamz_ 06 December 2010 01:14 PM

Hmm strange... different to mine then... have you checked its all pushed in and everything? might have fallen out the back of the clocks if you were playing around with the turbo, as you may have knocked the converter there and pulled it out the back of the clocks

newman90 06 December 2010 01:18 PM

Yeh im gonna give that a look at tonight i may possibly have done that, i dont remember touching it but i was in a bit of an awkward position so i might have snagged it, and will this still flag EML if it comes out?

Cheers

Jamz_ 06 December 2010 01:33 PM

Aye it did on my car, as the ecu didnt know what speed the car was doing

kevin wrx 06 December 2010 02:26 PM

there are 2 types of speedo converter some go on the box and some on the back of the clocks as jamz said check the cable at both ends,if all is ok could be the speed sensor in which is wat the cable goes into at gearbox end.