ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Advice on engine tapping a little (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/862619-advice-on-engine-tapping-a-little.html)

LEO-TERZO 04 December 2010 04:50 PM

Advice on engine tapping a little

Hi, could someone give me some advice on what to do or why it might be tapping. Just sounds like tappets. :thumb:

prodriverules 04 December 2010 04:56 PM

Get adrum and tap along with it:lol1:
Soz mate,has the motor just been put back in or been running and just started to tap out of the blue?

LEO-TERZO 04 December 2010 04:58 PM

Just been put back in mate :thumb:

s70rjw 04 December 2010 05:02 PM

You need to supply a bit more information to receive some meaningful responses.
What year / mileage / spec / history
Is the tapping only from cold or present at any temperature
Does the tapping increase with revs?
Have you checked your oil level?
Can you post a clip?
Best of luck

prodriverules 04 December 2010 05:02 PM

And im presuming it has hydrualic tappets as well?and have you been for a drive yet as it can take awhile on times for the tappets to fully fill up with oil but sometimes can need a drive of about 20/30 miles to shut them right up.

LEO-TERZO 04 December 2010 05:10 PM

Its a classic 1998 with closed deck block, sti9 nitrated crank, cozzie pistons, eagle rods, 550cc injectors, etc, just been rebuild with all new bottom and top gaskets and seals running 350bhp. Ive ran it for about 30 odd miles now and let it tick over for bout 15mins overall so would have thought the oil would have quietened them down by now. It just taps the same how ever i rev her. :wonder:

prodriverules 04 December 2010 05:16 PM

Can you get a video up mate with sound?how loud is the tapping sound?and can you pin point the noise ie top end[heads] or bottom end[middle of engine

LEO-TERZO 04 December 2010 05:18 PM

Definetly top end heads, bottom sounds sweet i'll have to put a clip up tomorrow and see what you think thanks :thumb:

scooby830 07 December 2010 10:41 PM

tappets will take more than 30 mile to quieten down took nearly 1k miles to quiten down in mine when i rebuilt it

merlin24 07 December 2010 11:23 PM

Unless your running Version 1~2 cylinder heads, it wont have hydraulic lifters.
As Prodriverules said above, you need to narrow it down to a specific area - usual suspects could be loose spark plugs,exhaust gas leak from the headers/up pipe,noisy injectors, slack valve clearances etc etc.
Hopefully nothing too serious after having it rebuilt.

Mick

prodriverules 08 December 2010 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by merlin24 (Post 9754406)
Unless your running Version 1~2 cylinder heads, it wont have hydraulic lifters.
As Prodriverules said above, you need to narrow it down to a specific area - usual suspects could be loose spark plugs,exhaust gas leak from the headers/up pipe,noisy injectors, slack valve clearances etc etc.
Hopefully nothing too serious after having it rebuilt.

Mick

The godly one has spoken:D

LEO-TERZO 09 December 2010 09:18 PM

Hopefully nothing too serious after having it rebuilt. :cry:

Dont say that hope not lol. The oil filter i got for it was the wrong one, the **** in the shop i got it from was an idiot. Every time i started it up from cold it would blow the seal in the filter and start pissing oil out. Lucky i heard it as i had to clear the ice from the windows if i was in the car i might not of heard it and big problem would have arisen, i dont even want to think about it. I drove 25miles to my nearest subaru and bought a new filter and its sound now. It has quietened down a bit now so with few more miles on it hopefully it will go away altogether, drives perfect otherwise :thumb: