ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Help buying an RB320 (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/862476-help-buying-an-rb320.html)

leosoul 03 December 2010 11:07 AM

Help buying an RB320

Hi,

Just joined this forum as I am planning on buying my first scooby! My friend is already a member and said this forum is very helpful. :)

I have found an RB320 that is in my price range and am pretty keen on getting it. There is only one draw back..... It's Cat D. On speaking to the vendor he told me it had rear end damage that has been fully repaired, but I feel I want to get it fully checked before buying it.

Does anyone know how I can get this checked out before making the long journey from Kent to Birmingham as I don't really want a wasted journey? Any help on this will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Leo

davefaedeen 03 December 2010 11:40 AM

Walk away!!! Far away!!! and buy a normal STI in your price range trust me you dont want the ball ache of a Cat D car. No car is every the same after a bash, tracking, gearbox aligment etc... why do you think hes selling it!!!!!

leosoul 03 December 2010 11:53 AM

Hmmmm..... Yeah good point mate, cheers. Trouble is I've fallen in love with the RB320! Stupid I know.... Tbh. I do have my doubts. That's why I posted here. I thought I'd try and get it checked out first.

alcazar 03 December 2010 11:59 AM

Look for another. Worth waiting a bit to get a solid one, IMHO

davefaedeen 03 December 2010 12:02 PM

Never buy a car if you have any doubts!!! my advicce would be to wait another 6months and save money for a non bent version. It will only come back to bite you in the arse trust me, you will pay more in insurance for a Cat D and it will drop mega in value costing you more in the long run. (dont do it)!!! its a waste of money IMHO!!!!

davefaedeen 03 December 2010 12:05 PM

Remember he is selling it because its bent! if it wasnt he would keep it, I dont care what excuse he gives u!!!

greg320 03 December 2010 12:07 PM

like stated buy an sti or save more money,by the way what are they asking for the 320?

leosoul 03 December 2010 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by greg320 (Post 9746481)
like stated buy an sti or save more money,by the way what are they asking for the 320?

Thanks all. ;)

£13999

EddScott 03 December 2010 12:25 PM

To be honest, I'd ask for more information on the damage and the repair work.

A Cat D car is not a death trap waiting to kill you the first corner you come to. I'd want more info and preferably pics and at the very least get in contact with the garage that did the repair work - they are unlikely to care whether you buy the car or not so are likely to give you an honest response.

Your paying less for the car so as long as you realise the car will always be worth less than a straight one, as long as its story stands up I wouldn't dismiss the car so quickly.

However, an RB320 is just a black hawkeye STI with a few extra shiney bits.

Originally Posted by leosoul (Post 9746513)
Thanks all. ;)

£13999

Which is enough for a decent straight low mileage black hawk STI. Offer £10K for the 320.

There was a RB320 knocking about last year with quite a meaty punt in the ar5e for sale pre-repair. Might be the same one but fixed??

davefaedeen 03 December 2010 12:41 PM

I sold my RB320 to subaru for £17500 and they sold it for 19500!! if you look you can find good private sales at the 18K mark, and due to the current climate maybe knock £500 off that price, so for the sake of another £3500 i would wait another month or 2 and buy a good one, its a no brainer really. IMO

f4la k 03 December 2010 12:43 PM

As above, I remember seeing an rb320 floating about for sale and it had been seriously rear ended, may not be the same one, but heed the advice stay well away, if you ever decide to dell it no-onr will be interested. Go for a decent straight car...

tom g 03 December 2010 01:05 PM

insurance will be no dearer!

jameswrx 03 December 2010 01:59 PM

Two problems here.. Cat D and Birmingham!

Whenever I see a car there it always puts me off, and I'm speaking from experience! I've bought lots of cars from there and must be something in the water that makes most of them lying wanna be gangster car salesmen

daz1968 03 December 2010 03:22 PM

Think you are taring all people from Birmingham with the same brush based on a bad experience you had not everyone is dishonest although I wouldn't buy a cat d car at that sort of money. An older cheap car not to bad as you not really bothered if you lose out. But that level of money is to much to tie up in a car that will be hard to sell on. I would rather buy a straight and clean sti

EddScott 03 December 2010 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by jameswrx (Post 9746649)
Two problems here.. Cat D and Birmingham!

Whenever I see a car there it always puts me off, and I'm speaking from experience! I've bought lots of cars from there and must be something in the water that makes most of them lying wanna be gangster car salesmen

I have the very same feeling about anything from West Yorkshire. Any JDM import in that area is highly likely to have passed through the Braford importers and some of those cars really are death traps on wheels!!

EddScott 03 December 2010 03:57 PM

https://www.scoobynet.com/private-fo...ml#post8962799

Probably this one - post #6 gives you a picture.

Personally, even with that damage IF you had a detailed account of the repairs and it was around £10K - £11K I'd still consider it. Cat D will always be worth less, as long as you buy at Cat D prices your not going to lose anymore than you normally would.

leosoul 03 December 2010 11:00 PM

Woah! Yeah I think it is that one. Same mileage. Bit coincidental. Good find mate, nice one. Looks like I won't be getting an RB320 then. :(

Anyone know of a nice, black hawkeye STI for around 14k?

Gear Head 04 December 2010 12:29 AM

Get a white one! It's the new black! :thumb:

Ste RB5138 04 December 2010 01:37 AM

I would ask on the RB320 forum as well, find out the build no first.

http://rb320oc.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=idx

helium3 04 December 2010 09:18 AM

to the op,ive seen this car n its a minter.im not quite ready to buy yet but have to say i would defo have considered this car if i had the money at the time.

however i had a bmw on cat d, it had a rear ender. the car was beautiful in everyway except it never handled right.

Terminator X 04 December 2010 09:46 AM

I wouldn't but a Cat anything car incl Cat D. You'll never honestly know what the damage was & let's face it the owners of Cat D cars ALWAYS say it just had a minor scratch :lol1:

RB320 is a :luvlove: car though so can understand why you might be tempted!

TX.