ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Godspeed discs fitted today !!!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/86238-godspeed-discs-fitted-today.html)

StanS 10 April 2002 07:20 PM

Now done 300+ miles since they were fitted so tried several firm pressure from 70 down to about 30. WOW !! Some difference to the stopping power. The car has never felt this good braking.
For anyone upgrading brakes, do not do what I did and get EBC and redstuff for £250 fitted (which is a good deal) but put it towards a 335mm Godspeed kit. Exceptional value for money.
Stan
:D :D :D :D

Steve vRS 11 April 2002 07:56 AM

Excellent! Should have mine next week to compare.

Steve

Ray T 11 April 2002 08:36 AM

Hi Stan,
what pads did you fit?

should be getting my kit tomorrow, coming with the mintex 1144's.

ray t

StanS 11 April 2002 07:36 PM

1144's fitted. Quite dusty, but better than redstuff for initial bite/feel on the road. Did another 100 miles today and tried some HARD stops. BIG improvement on the EBC/redstuff + loads more confidence that the car will stop. Want to brake hard just to enjoy the power !! (Sad isn't it !!)
Definately well worth £500 odd.
Stan

Marc R 11 April 2002 08:13 PM

Dumb question but are the rear brakes still standard and if so is it necessary to get them done aswell. Just started on a few engine mods and will probably look at the brakes soon. Stopping doesn't seem to be one of the cars stronger points.

Marc

StanS 12 April 2002 07:46 PM

Marc
As 70% ish of the braking force is done by the front, the rear are not so important. I have better pads in the rear but std discs/calipers.
Stan

Todge 13 April 2002 05:43 PM

i've been given some really bad vibes about Godspeed from a few freinds that are into rallyin i want to upgrade my brakes but i'm a bit woried about using Godspeed please keep me informed about the performance of your brakes

Cheers Todge

Marc R 13 April 2002 07:30 PM

Cheers StanS, can't afford brakes for a while, got some new wheels now and the discs look v.small. Best get saving.

Marc

Hoppy 13 April 2002 09:05 PM

Todge, I'm sure you'll find Ian Godney (Godspeed) knows his brakes ;) And, IMHO his kit for Scooby 4-pots with alloy belled discs is probably the best-value brake upgrade that can handle track days this side of £1,500 APR/Brembo etc. He's less good at answering e-mails etc, but keep trying - the man's busy!

Marc, if your rear brakes are the solid, non-vented pre-99 MY an upgrade is worthwhile if you're into track days. They might not have that much work to do, but the discs are small and very poorly cooled.

Cheers,

Richard.

Marc R 13 April 2002 09:32 PM

Thanks Richard, it's a MY97 so small discs all round, I think the next mod will be a set of bigger discs. Got a dawes to fit but need an afr. Once those are fitted might be in urgent need of better stopping power. Cheers.

Marc

DAVE-W 13 April 2002 10:41 PM

Todge,

All I can say is don't knock em til you've tried em m8 ;) .

My kit went on last Wednesday (308mm discs/Godspeed 4 pots) and I can only say that firstly the quality was excellent (see my pics in the group buy post in the For Sale forum), and that secondly, following around 120 miles of bedding in, they are really starting to bite.

The increased braking performance is very evident and worthwhile....especially when i only had two pots and no abs previously :D :D

Dave

StanS 04 September 2002 08:47 PM

Big thanks to Ian and Richard for doing a careful/thorough job and the hospitality. You were very helpful, great at getting back to me re questions etc, so thanks again !
Enjoyed the 7.5 hour round trip too !!
Not long til they're bedded in !!!
Looks like I've got some brakes now !! - certainly look "heavy duty" and well engineered.
Stan
:D :D
Editted due to brain working even less well after 7 odd hours of very loud exhaust note (thanks Pete C !!) sounds great but soooo loud !

[Edited by StanS - 4/9/2002 8:58:23 PM]