ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   Clutch choices (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/862214-clutch-choices.html)

HRT 01 December 2010 07:43 AM

Clutch choices

V8 STi with 2.5l, MD321T+ and six speed gearbox about 460/460. It had an Exedy twinplate, but when this was worn my local mechanic here in Cyprus said it was cheaper to replace with a new single plate (only about €600) as the replacement part prices for a twin plate were quite high and I may as well buy a new twin plate.

However the single plate has worn in a year and is now slipping. It could handle the power but it is rubbish in traffic. Not sure what brand it is, but they use it in several hillclimb cars.

I have taken it in today and they have said the same, but I still think that a twin plate either with replacement parts or a different brand of twin plate would be the better choice. I definitely cannot afford a new Exedy twin plate and do not believe that there is a need for one.

Any recommendation on either a different cheaper brand of twin plate that is decent in traffic or where to get replacemnet parts for the Exedy and approximate cost would be much appreciated.

Thanks

APIDavid 01 December 2010 03:56 PM

We use the AP Racing 6 speed organic at that power level - it works well is easy to use in traffic and will take that power and more. The 3 parts set is around 540.00 GBP and if you need a flywheel, a standard one will be fine at a cost of around 150.00 GBP for a cleaned up lightedr weight one.

Good Luck, We keep all in stock if that helps.

David APi

HRT 02 December 2010 07:52 AM

Hi David

I never considered this option as I did not think that they would handle the torque. I am guessing it is aroung the 460ftlbs as before i bought it, it was dynoed at 520/520 or so with 10% meth. Now it is only on 100 octane pump fuel and has 400bhp atw.

However as the car is 90% driven for school run/work and on low boost setting, about 360bhp, the driveability and longevity are important factors. Will consider over the weekend and come back to you.

Thanks

FB Tuning 02 December 2010 10:15 PM

Have you removed the OE damping valves and springs from the slave cylinder?

HRT 03 December 2010 08:32 AM

I will have to ask. What is the benefit in removing?

In my research I rang Exedy Uk and was advised that Steve will be at my mechanics in Cyprus next Tuesday and will have a look at the twin plate and the single plate and he will advise what to do.

APIDavid 03 December 2010 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by HRT (Post 9746207)
I will have to ask. What is the benefit in removing?

In my research I rang Exedy Uk and was advised that Steve will be at my mechanics in Cyprus next Tuesday and will have a look at the twin plate and the single plate and he will advise what to do.

Exedy are sending someone to Cyprus to check your clutch ?? :eek:

HRT 03 December 2010 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by APIDavid (Post 9746269)
Exedy are sending someone to Cyprus to check your clutch ?? :eek:

Did you not know that the world revolves around my car and Cyprus :D

My car certainly does its best to use the world's fuel reserves and also lighten my wallet.

HRT 04 January 2011 02:00 PM

After much thought and speaking with Exedy I have decided to reinstall the twin plate. Parts were not too bad, about €600.

All been installed and run in, but I notice that shifts to 1st, 2nd and reverse are now much clunkier and require a hard push to get into gear. Especially first and reverse. Could this be an installation issue?