ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   API built 2.5 - sludge and smoke (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/861995-api-built-2-5-sludge-and-smoke.html)

NXG 29 November 2010 03:42 PM

API built 2.5 - sludge and smoke

Hi,

I have a scooby that I had upgraded with an API built 2.5 (starting 2008, mostly finished 2009) and sent it off for an MOT today. Unfortunately it's bad news as they didn't even get as far as an emissions test and there's black sludge in the coolant.

The engine has done less than 10k, always been fed vpower and high quality oil, but is suspected of having cracked block/liner and a leaking head gasket.

Could anyone recommend a reputable place to take the car to for this to be resolved?

Thanks.

B0DSKI 29 November 2010 03:59 PM

Back to API i'd of said

New_scooby_04 29 November 2010 04:07 PM

You certainly want to give David a call first. He won't be happy that one of his engines has let go and willl want to find out why, I'm sure. He's a very decent guy in my experience and won't feed you a load of BS.

What power are you running? Any changes to the car since APi built it? I seem to recall hearing that if you venture much aboove 450 the liners can be an issue in the 2.5engines (i'm in no way shape or form an expert though).

I hope you get it resolved, anyway!

stevie1982 29 November 2010 04:43 PM

first thing is first, you should of contacted David and the team at API first before coming on here and mentioning their name linking them to an engine failure, the engine is over a year old and could be many a reason why it failed but with the mention of the name the sh1t can stick to them. not saying you are blaming them but as said sh1t sticks mate.

give them a call and see what they can do for you but i would guess its going to be engine out, stripped to see what's up but i would guess you will have to foot the bill for it along with the rebuild

good luck

ScoobyDoo69 29 November 2010 05:04 PM

Definitely contact David before you do anything else.

14N-FR 29 November 2010 05:07 PM

Black sludge in my coolant was from a leaking headgasket and a cracked piston ringland.

JohnD 29 November 2010 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 9739924)
first thing is first, you should of contacted David and the team at API first before coming on here and mentioning their name linking them to an engine failure, the engine is over a year old and could be many a reason why it failed but with the mention of the name the sh1t can stick to them. not saying you are blaming them but as said sh1t sticks mate.

good luck

Aggreed!

JohnD

T5BNC 29 November 2010 05:27 PM

With all due respect guys i don't think the op was name-dropping more like looking for advice and giving details of the circumstances. IMHO Anyway i would defiantly seek advise from API.:thumb:

keep us posted as i have a 2.5

Best of luck

stevie1982 29 November 2010 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by T5BNC (Post 9740012)
With all due respect guys i don't think the op was name-dropping more like looking for advice and giving details of the circumstances. IMHO Anyway i would defiantly seek advise from API.:thumb:

keep us posted as i have a 2.5

Best of luck

PLEASE look at the last line in my post as i agree with you.

All i meant was he should of contacted them not come on a public forum as it could be damaging to their reputation as it takes years to build a good reputation and seconds for someone to destroy it.

meant no offence to the OP.

OP hope you get it sorted

NXG 29 November 2010 10:36 PM

@Bodski - Thanks for the suggestion, I'd already considered that before posting.

@NS04 - I'm not going to go into the whole saga at this time, but the car was exactly as it came out of API, just a few more miles and shell points.

@stevie1982 - See above response to Bodski.

@14N-FR - Thanks for the info

@T5BNC - Thanks for the balanced input

If anyone can answer the original question please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Arch 29 November 2010 10:51 PM

I would, as has been mentioned above, at least talsk to David first. If thats not in your plans how about Alyn at AS Performance.

si2000 29 November 2010 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by NXG (Post 9739855)
Hi,

I have a scooby that I had upgraded with an API built 2.5 (starting 2008, mostly finished 2009) and sent it off for an MOT today. Unfortunately it's bad news as they didn't even get as far as an emissions test and there's black sludge in the coolant.

The engine has done less than 10k, always been fed vpower and high quality oil, but is suspected of having cracked block/liner and a leaking head gasket.

Could anyone recommend a reputable place to take the car to for this to be resolved?

Thanks.

If not API then RCM, engine tuner or lateral performance :thumb:

Mus 29 November 2010 11:34 PM

bit odd after one year was the car mapped or subject to some abuse what power was you running?

NXG 30 November 2010 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mus (Post 9740703)
bit odd after one year was the car mapped or subject to some abuse what power was you running?

It's never been taken to the track or pushed very hard (it's my daily drive which I rely on to get to work). It was mapped by API and hasn't been touched since. When API put it on a rolling road it showed 452/485 which I understand is about as good as it gets for the hardware installed.

Steve Whitehorn 30 November 2010 06:18 PM

What spec was it? Was it forged pistons? Did it have flanged liners?

alcazar 30 November 2010 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by NXG (Post 9741034)
It's never been taken to the track or pushed very hard (it's my daily drive which I rely on to get to work). It was mapped by API and hasn't been touched since. When API put it on a rolling road it showed 452/485 which I understand is about as good as it gets for the hardware installed.

So...........what did David say when you contacted him?

stevie1982 01 December 2010 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9741877)

Will 2nd that, interested to know the outcome?

alcazar 01 December 2010 06:47 PM

This wants allowing to die.

There is FAR more to it than the OP has said, as is usual in these sort of posts.

stealthy55 01 December 2010 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9741877)

best thing is to speak via phone rather than on here

speights 01 December 2010 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 9743607)
Will 2nd that, interested to know the outcome?

Will 3rd that, My API 2.5 is superb and I know if there were any problems who I would call - API DAVID no hesitation!:thumb:

dynamix 01 December 2010 09:09 PM

They check coolant in the MOT ?

Last car I saw with black sludge in the coolant was the thermostat failing and sticking. (it was my car so i know it wasnt the head gasket)

NXG 01 December 2010 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by alcazar (Post 9743781)
This wants allowing to die.

There is FAR more to it than the OP has said, as is usual in these sort of posts.

You want to kill this thread? Why? You say there is "FAR more to it"? I've never spoken to you so do you think you have a balanced view of what's happened?

I'm not going to get into the story of this build on this thread, I just want to find a solution to the problems I have with the car. Fortunately I've been contacted by a couple of companies happy to help and I'll get to the bottom of the issues, probably shortly after Xmas, at which point I'll update the thread with the findings and resolution.

Thanks.

NXG 01 December 2010 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by stealthy55 (Post 9743905)
best thing is to speak via phone rather than on here

I was asking the question of the forum, not an individual. It's not exactly practical to call every member on the phone, even if I had their numbers...

Mus 01 December 2010 11:40 PM

I think they mean speak to David over the phone and see what his willing to do? I don't know many companies that would warranty such a build, I'm sure if you speak to api they will try an offer you a nice discount on any repair as a good will gesture.

LegacySTi 01 December 2010 11:55 PM

Think the OP has gone about this all the wrong way IMO

jaytc2003 02 December 2010 01:21 AM

guys cut the poster some slack, he isnt blaming api he is just mentioning that its an api built engine,
You dont get slated if you say your standard subaru engine goes pop so why should you if you mention the name of the company who built a new engine?

Anyway to the original OP, best advise is to contact API re the issues you have and discuss it with them. It could be a casting fault or some other original manufacturing fault that isnt detecable

stevie1982 02 December 2010 09:05 AM

What i think everyone does not get is if you have had the engine built by Api why are you asking for opinions from members and asking where to take it, as said above take it to Api no one else they built it just seems strange that you aren't. If I had spent in the region of 5k for a 2.5 build plus extras no doubt ie clutch turbo extra so guessing near on 10k with a company and I had covered 10k in miles in just over a year and had made sure all the checks were done at right times with the liners, servicing and all and it went pop dirt place I would go is the company who built it as I would hope they would be willing to help and we could come to a deal so we all win, fromm experiance api are one of the good ones so why take it else where. Just seems like there is more to it, please PM me if you wish

If not no worries and best of luck getting it sorted in the new year with who ever you use

T5BNC 02 December 2010 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by stevie1982 (Post 9744544)
What i think everyone does not get is if you have had the engine built by Api why are you asking for opinions from members and asking where to take it, as said above take it to Api no one else they built it just seems strange that you aren't. If I had spent in the region of 5k for a 2.5 build plus extras no doubt ie clutch turbo extra so guessing near on 10k with a company and I had covered 10k in miles in just over a year and had made sure all the checks were done at right times with the liners, servicing and all and it went pop dirt place I would go is the company who built it as I would hope they would be willing to help and we could come to a deal so we all win, fromm experiance api are one of the good ones so why take it else where. Just seems like there is more to it, please PM me if you wish

If not no worries and best of luck getting it sorted in the new year with who ever you use

The man has a point. Take it to the company that built it for there opinion. Best of luck:thumb:

alcazar 03 December 2010 12:34 PM

Guys, I don't think he's going to do that. ;)

Ask him why not.

Ian 03 December 2010 01:50 PM

why not??