ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Weird noise from engine, Whining/Supercharger Noise !!!! (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/861503-weird-noise-from-engine-whining-supercharger-noise.html)

esi 25 November 2010 09:04 PM

Weird noise from engine, Whining/Supercharger Noise !!!!

hi guys, Started my WRX this morning, turned the stereo off and i could hear this whining sound (supercharger sound) from the engine, reved the car and the noise goes up and down with the RPM. very faint noise, not really noticable but i am abit annoyed . poped the bonnet and i could hear the sound, comes from the alternator area and near belts area, but can not justify where exatcly its coming out from.

what could it be ? any idea?

Altenator?

Water pump? Pullys???

Timing belt has recenlty been chnaged and all the tensioners looked ok.

Thanks
Sam

dexster81 25 November 2010 09:12 PM

Mine was the auxillary belt tensioner

f4la k 25 November 2010 09:14 PM

Tensioners should have been changed as 9 times out of ten its the tensioners that fail and not the belt.Old tensioners can look ok and spin ok and a couple of days later can be knackered. When the service guide says to change the belt every 50k it also means the tensioners.Whining could be anything, hard to diagnose a sound over the net, really need to listen to it with yer head below the bonnet.....

winker 25 November 2010 10:45 PM

remove your alternator and aircon belts and see if the noise disappears then you aliminate the moving parts from them

scoobyd00999 25 November 2010 10:55 PM

could be low on power steering fluid ,thats what mine was...........got to be worth topping it up first just to rule it out

esi 26 November 2010 12:52 AM

no power steering fluid is all good, i think i am going to remove the altenator and the ac belt and see if the noise goes away

astraman1 26 November 2010 10:27 AM

id say alternator had the exact same noise when mine went

Scoobyten 06 September 2011 11:18 PM

Hi mate. I know it's been a long time lol, but did you diagnose this issue?

99jdee 06 September 2011 11:39 PM

mate i spent hours and hours looking this up on this forum, if you check my thread someone in there told me what to do, check your belts etc the fluid i cant remember what order but id recommend it to you too..

good luck!

Scoobyten 07 September 2011 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by 99jdee (Post 10223472)
mate i spent hours and hours looking this up on this forum, if you check my thread someone in there told me what to do, check your belts etc the fluid i cant remember what order but id recommend it to you too..

good luck!

Well i've done the check with belts, p/s fluid is just below max so i'll top that up.... I'm curious on what was wrong with yours, was it an easy fix? Mine tends to have the slightest squeek when turning the s/wheel but don't know if it's related to this. Hopefully I find out soon,

99jdee 07 September 2011 12:17 PM

well mine started getting hard to steer the ps fluid read full but i wacked loads in and it kept going on so i thought **** it.. and then after a few full turns of the steering whell it did calm down quiete a lot prolly still a slight 10% but still much much better, hardly noticable now :)

Rescue Dude 07 September 2011 12:30 PM

Mine has an odd muffled squeak when started from cold but goes once warm.

It get's a bit more noticeable when I turn on the aircon. Not too fussed if its the pump as I never use it.

I should put it on once a month to keep it all lubricated maybe that'll stop it?