ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   over reving when at full temp (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/861382-over-reving-when-at-full-temp.html)

nathanwing1990 24 November 2010 11:49 PM

over reving when at full temp

hey guys im new here i have got a 1999 1.6 subaru impreza and have a problem with it when its idling on cold it sits on the revs as it should but as soon as it gets to ful temp it starts to really over rev itself if any one could give me any advice on what it could be id really appreciate it thanks . :thumb:

saiklon 25 November 2010 05:00 AM

How is the idle controlled on your car? Is it with an idle speed control valve?

When this happens, usually the ISCV is dirty and gets stuck sometimes - however most times this will raise engine code 24 and you will have a check engine light along with the high idle.

Another possibility is that somehow the idle up and idle down wires to the ISCV could have been swapped around.

Remove your ISCV and clean it first then set the idle speed while warm. Also inspect the wiring to the ISCV for any shorts.

f4la k 25 November 2010 09:47 AM

Sounds a bit like your temp sensor and its not cutting the cold start..

nathanwing1990 25 November 2010 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by saiklon (Post 9732678)
How is the idle controlled on your car? Is it with an idle speed control valve?

When this happens, usually the ISCV is dirty and gets stuck sometimes - however most times this will raise engine code 24 and you will have a check engine light along with the high idle.

Another possibility is that somehow the idle up and idle down wires to the ISCV could have been swapped around.

Remove your ISCV and clean it first then set the idle speed while warm. Also inspect the wiring to the ISCV for any shorts.

yeah the check engine light comes on and looses all the revs then the revs kick up again and will definitly check all the wires to it thanks

nathanwing1990 25 November 2010 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by f4la k (Post 9732842)
Sounds a bit like your temp sensor and its not cutting the cold start..

yeah i changed the map sensor as got told that can sometimes cause it and thats made no difference will have to look into the temp sensor thanks bud:thumb:

Jolly Green Monster 26 November 2010 12:20 AM

check the error codes.. see my website in the help pages for how to read the error codes
www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk

Simon

nathanwing1990 26 November 2010 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster (Post 9734358)
check the error codes.. see my website in the help pages for how to read the error codes
www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk

Simon

thanks for that buddy brilliant information really is but only problem is tht the engine check light dont come on till its running and upto full temp lol

Jolly Green Monster 26 November 2010 07:29 PM

Error code will be stored in ecu unless you switch ignition on and off about 20 times with no engine light

nathanwing1990 26 November 2010 07:40 PM

ok thanks alot definitly will be giving your info ago your a star thanks alot bud

nathanwing1990 23 January 2011 11:00 PM

hi again guys just a bit of an update i have as you know replced the map sensor and i have also now replaced the idle control valve cleaned up all the intake pipes and still no luck with it atall any more ideas would great thanks again

saiklon 24 January 2011 05:19 AM

You have not followed the advice by JGM to check codes.

nathanwing1990 24 January 2011 06:46 PM

yeah i have took his advice found out what the codes was and it come up to be code 24 which is the idle control system thats why i changed the idle control valve but it hasnt made any difference atall