ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Stolen MacBook (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/861376-stolen-macbook.html)

JackClark 24 November 2010 10:52 PM

Stolen MacBook

Came back to a stolen laptop yesterday, not great, could have been worse. Thankfully I'm an Apple freak, full backup at home on the Time Capsule, all my media here on my iPhone. The Apple store called me to let me know the replacement can be shipped to Spain and there's a sale on Friday, which is nice.

I'm pissed off about buying an upgrade now because it was still a great machine at almost exactly four years old. But the new MacBooks do look a bit tasty.

The MacBook has 'back to my mac' on it, fingers crossed it'll pop up so I can have a word.

jura11 24 November 2010 11:00 PM

No very good news,but hopefully you have sorted replacement.

timmyajmy93wrx 25 November 2010 09:11 AM

what bum holes:mad:

Always loved mac laptops just to pricey as i only browse the web & listen to tunes! :lol1:

any info where it was nicked so people can keep an eye out in the area/ebay for it?

hutton_d 25 November 2010 09:24 AM

The thieves will be proper p*ssed off when they find out it's not a real laptop they've got, just an Apple rip-off ... :eek:

Dave

PS: just kidding .... :thumb:

Rob_Impreza99 25 November 2010 10:26 AM

Someone nicking an Apple product, it sounds like we have a complete nutter on the loose who needs to be captured for his own sanity.

Seriously though, if its an insurance replacement then it could all work out well in the end with you getting a bang upto date replacement.

Midlife...... 25 November 2010 11:25 AM

Just curious............what's "back to mac". Does it e-mail you to tell you it's been nicked?

Shaun

Ant 25 November 2010 11:32 AM

Ive got a MacBook for sale need in gone quick £100 :D

ChefDude 25 November 2010 01:32 PM

£100 for a macbook?! is it actually just a photo of a macbook? ;) :D

Ant 25 November 2010 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by ChefDude (Post 9733241)
£100 for a macbook?! is it actually just a photo of a macbook? ;) :D

It's jacks ....ssh it's a secret

Rob_Impreza99 25 November 2010 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by antc (Post 9733248)
It's jacks ....ssh it's a secret

It will be easy to tell if its Jack`s, the desktop background below will give the game away.

http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/s...ld_caps104.jpg

JackClark 25 November 2010 03:14 PM

I'm in Spain, so doubtful the scrotes will be paying you a visit.

It'll be claimed on my travel insurance, definately not new for old, but a bonus.

Back to my Mac allows me remote control of the machine. If they switch it on near an open network I can find it's location then use the webcam to tell them I'm coming.

ChefDude 25 November 2010 03:16 PM

i should have got that lol - i did, inexplicably, wake up 02:30 this morning :Grrr:

JackClark 26 November 2010 10:27 AM

Just ordered a 15" i7 MacBook with Hi-Res Display, insurance will pay a percentage and Apple gave me £80 off, it's a business purchase so I can claim tax as well. Just need to get my Time Capsule over here and wait for delivery, can't wait, thanks thieving scrote.

Scooby Soon! 26 November 2010 11:28 AM

Where did you leave it if you don't mind me asking? I am away at the moment and have the same problem I have a laptop and an iPad worth in total about £1500 new, where the hell do people leave this stuff when away from home?

I lock both in my suitcase if I have to leave them in the hotel and never show them Outside my room but i know one day they will be gone.

I checked a hotel the other day and the room I viewed was still occupied, the person who was staying had a MacBook of some sort open but turned off and they had left the hotel for the day, do people really do this?..

Ant 26 November 2010 11:45 AM

When I've worked away and taken my laptop, I've always took my laptop with with me in the van/car.I'd prefer to replace nicked clothes rather then my mac

JackClark 26 November 2010 12:12 PM

I'm staying in a house, it was a plain old burglary. It's a tiny village and the scrote who did it left fingerprints and blood.

hodgy0_2 26 November 2010 07:32 PM

sorry to hear that, very irritating indeed, does the MAC use encryption on the hard disk, and did you have it enabled?

i got a scare earlier this year when I thought i had lost a 100gb external hard drive, I hadn't but encrypted it as soon as I found it

our new corporate laptops come with encryption

JackClark 26 November 2010 08:02 PM

OS X does have encryption, and I do use it.

A remote wipe would be a nice touch, but stlll no sign of it online.

Trout 27 November 2010 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9734653)
Just ordered a 15" i7 MacBook with Hi-Res Display

Same - it is fantastic. Video processing takes a quarter of the time it did on my last MBP :D

And the screen is lovely!

hutton_d 27 November 2010 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9734823)
I'm staying in a house, it was a plain old burglary. It's a tiny village and the scrote who did it left fingerprints and blood.

Geez. What happened, did the Macbook fight back ....?

Dave

JackClark 27 November 2010 09:37 AM

There was blood everywhere, quite satisfying. He broke a double glazed panel to get in.

Trout, I went for the anti glare screen, now I'm kind of remembering that I prefer the glossy, which do you have? Anyhow, whatever it is no doubt I'm going to love it, those extra couple of inches at 1680 by 1050 have got to be stunning.

JackClark 07 December 2010 03:50 PM

MacBook arrived today, bang on time, phone call prior to arrival and all. Not bad for a UK MacBook delivered to Spain between two bank holidays. Nice work UPS.

Loving the machine so far, Mobile Me worked perfectly for syncing my Email, Contacts, and Preferences even with my crap internet connection and I can restore my back up next week. Nice work Apple.

I hope you enjoy your bag of Heroin as much as I enjoyed my old MacBook you Thieving Junkie Scrote.

Trout 09 December 2010 10:30 PM

I have got the matt screen - I like the glossy screen to look at but it is not very practical!

Hi res screen is excellent!

pimmo2000 10 December 2010 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9732529)
Came back to a stolen laptop yesterday,

:Suspiciou

How did you come back to it, if its stolen ?

Seriously though that's really ****, I assume someone broke in or something ?

JackClark 10 December 2010 10:51 AM

I wish I did come back to it, in fact I spent the next two days looking for it all over the house. As much as I'm loving this new one, my old one was very special to me, maybe sad but I spent a lot of time during four years looking at it, and it still looked good.

Plain burglary Pimmo, I'm in a tiny village so we're pretty sure we know who it was.

My back up drive is flying over tomorrow, won't be long until I can have my media on my new machine.

The matte screen is cracking Trout, I nearly didn't get it, but sat here with the sun behind me I'm very pleased I did.

JackClark 28 June 2022 04:06 PM

Almost 12 years since I was forced to update my MacBook, today it finally died, my fault for not cleaning it I suspect. What a great machine it was, RIP.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.sco...9247b0712f.jpg

silver-sub 29 June 2022 12:29 AM

12 years!

johno01 29 June 2022 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by JackClark (Post 9733373)
I'm in Spain, so doubtful the scrotes will be paying you a visit.

It'll be claimed on my travel insurance, definately not new for old, but a bonus.

Back to my Mac allows me remote control of the machine. If they switch it on near an open network I can find it's location then use the webcam to tell them I'm coming.

did your old one ever reappear again via an open network?

JackClark 29 June 2022 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by johno01 (Post 12122859)
did your old one ever reappear again via an open network?

Unfortunately not.

IdonthaveaScooby 03 July 2022 05:20 PM

Is it worth stealing a Mac now - with its Touch ID ?