ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Mobile Speed Camera Vans (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/861180-mobile-speed-camera-vans.html)

Saalro 23 November 2010 05:39 PM

Mobile Speed Camera Vans

Has anyone ever been done by one of these? If so how far away was it from?
I may have possible been caught by one today doing 80 in a 60 when over taking someone. It was fairly far away when i saw it and i put the brakes on straight away!

Thanks

addison 23 November 2010 05:43 PM

I've passed some when overtaking
never heard anything.
so i don't know if they are set up to cover one lane
or if a guy sit there and moves the camera

14N-FR 23 November 2010 05:47 PM

I got 3 points from one that was on a B road near the karting track in Sunderland.

I was caught from quite a distance away unfortunately.

Saalro 23 November 2010 05:49 PM

Hmmmm i wonder if they are configured to a lane or are moveable?!

Thanks

Glowplug 23 November 2010 05:56 PM

In my experience, your nicked.:nono:

They have a range of as far as the operator can see, and get a fix on your speed in less that 0.5 seconds.

Saalro 23 November 2010 06:02 PM

Lol i've got a bad feeling about this and did from the moment i saw the van.
My only optimistic views are that i was sat behind a car in the fast lane and it was only when i decided to undertake i got to 80 in the slow lane and then there was another car in front and when i was about to cut back into the fast lane i saw the van and hit the brakes, so i was possible blocked, but the car in front may have moved over to turn off, i can't remember lol.

Thanks

Taffy223 23 November 2010 06:06 PM

If you can see him...he can see you.

I got caught doing 76 in a 30...yeah I know, but It was about 8 years ago. I've growed up now..that old 309 Gti used to fly

South Wales is riddled with them especialy on the m4...even saw a bike cop with a speed camera set up today on the way home

peter zippy reid 23 November 2010 06:19 PM

i got caught by the van going to inverness 100 in a 70 im sure if you so it they saw you i got 6 point and a £400 fine never got banned because i drove up for my court date 360 miles round trip

wrx287 23 November 2010 06:20 PM

It's worth a go asking for the calibration certificate if you do get a NIP. I tried it and got away with the fine. Some of the operators cant be botherd to calibrate them as it takes a bit of time.

Glowplug 23 November 2010 06:27 PM

Ooooops, 97 in a 70!:norty:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j8...T/Speedbat.jpg

madscoob 23 November 2010 06:30 PM

the new ones have a 1mile range using the white round circles on the road as pointers . plod have had loads of victims on the a361 in devon . nice bit of a straight 1mile up the road there they are in the layby counting the cash catching people on the way to work most mornings . keep both hands on the wheel and give em the :hjtwofing

dj_akademix 23 November 2010 06:47 PM

As above - they can get you from a mile away. If overtaking on a single carriageway you might get away with some excess.

Also, they are only working if there is a bloke in the back sitting with the camera, typically they do one hour slots. If the van is there with the back window open but noone sitting behind the camera you may have got away with it (learnt after passing a van at over a ton in my old V6 GTV alfa - lesson I only needed to learn once...)

14 days is the longest you will have to wait, otherwise you can contest.

Davey L 23 November 2010 07:09 PM

I picked up 3 points overtaking a lorry on the A9. Asked a friend who's a sheriff if should contest it as i was only over the limit for about 50 meters to get past the lorry safely.
Answer was take it on the chin and keep a look out in the future. Road angel never made a peep and i've never seen the van parked in the same place again.
As has been said, if you haven't heard in 14 days you have been blessed...

millsy3 23 November 2010 07:15 PM

i got done in buxton a few years ago, luckily i was only doin 43 in a 30, they got me from quite a way off. but some of them vans arnt speed cameras, they a A.N.P.R cameras so keep ya fingers crossed.

wrx davs 23 November 2010 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by wrx287 (Post 9729812)
It's worth a go asking for the calibration certificate if you do get a NIP. I tried it and got away with the fine. Some of the operators cant be botherd to calibrate them as it takes a bit of time.

I got done back in june by a mobile van , calibration certificate was enclosed in NIP said they recorded my speed from 200,100 & 50 metres then worked the average...................... not alot you can do these days i'm afraid :(

alan.g.01 23 November 2010 07:32 PM

i havent been caught by 1 (yet) but if you have ask them for a callibration sheet for that day, make a note of what the weather was like & good luck

badboyz666 23 November 2010 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by Saalro (Post 9729731)
Hmmmm i wonder if they are configured to a lane or are moveable?!

Thanks
Sam

they are movable..i was caught speeding going UP a dual carriage way, the van was on the opposite side looking at traffic coming DOWN to him!! i saw the van but thought they could only get the traffic he was looking at but of course i was wrong and got 3 points and £60 fine this was a very wide carriage way as well and the picture of my rear end that came through was very good and clear ...bang to rights as they say:( hope they aint got you though!!:freak3:

madscoob 23 November 2010 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Davey L (Post 9729930)
I picked up 3 points overtaking a lorry on the A9. Asked a friend who's a sheriff if should contest it as i was only over the limit for about 50 meters to get past the lorry safely.
Answer was take it on the chin and keep a look out in the future. Road angel never made a peep and i've never seen the van parked in the same place again.
As has been said, if you haven't heard in 14 days you have been blessed...

in the highway code it states you can exceed the speed limit to safely overtake a slower moving vechile but must pull in within 1/4 of a mile anr return to the speed limit

Davey L 23 November 2010 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by madscoob (Post 9730140)
in the highway code it states you can exceed the speed limit to safely overtake a slower moving vechile but must pull in within 1/4 of a mile anr return to the speed limit

Indeed it does, but i was told by loads of people to take the hit..... Sometimes i wish i had of put up a fight... If it ever happens again like that i will

prestigesec 23 November 2010 08:47 PM

Dont just take the hit, always fight it!! Too many people roll over and take it nowadays. Play the paper chase game not just calibration certificates but the officers traning who was using device must be given to you and his certificate to say he can use it.

Reports to confirm that where device was being used was appropriate and that they are allowed to use it there, the list is endless as to what you are within your rights to ask for.

Buy the book "Martin Thwaites Drivers Survival Handbook" ex traffic officer gives you plenty of loop holes and advice. Cost me £20 about 5years ago and i have a clean license with 0 points, been stopped god knows how many times and had a couple of tickets posted through the door but they never even made it to court.

Buy that book will save you a lot of money and your license, and its actually quite an interesting read aswell.

Davey L 23 November 2010 08:56 PM

think i may have to invest in a copy, cheers

Alan Jeffery 23 November 2010 09:10 PM

I find this one tends to slow them up a bit.
I was on my way to the office, not in any kind of hurry. I found myself wanting to take 5, so I parked up behind this van and opened the bonnet, so as to allow some air at the motor. I sat in the car, read the paper, did the crossword, walked around for a bit and took a couple of pictures. (Free Country!)
When I decided to leave, I asked the nice man in the van to move, as he was impeding my lawful progress onto the motorway, parked where he was. After a brief discussion on the subject, he duly cleared off.
It was pointed out to me that my life could be made difficult in the future, as he would most certainly have taken my reg number.
As the car belonged to my brother I wasn't fussed in the least!

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...ery/safety.jpg

Terminator X 23 November 2010 09:20 PM

Innocent until proven guilty ...

Just don't roll over fella :thumb:

TX.

Terminator X 23 November 2010 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by prestigesec (Post 9730205)
Buy the book "Martin Thwaites Drivers Survival Handbook" ex traffic officer gives you plenty of loop holes and advice. Cost me £20 about 5years ago and i have a clean license with 0 points, been stopped god knows how many times and had a couple of tickets posted through the door but they never even made it to court.

Buy that book will save you a lot of money and your license, and its actually quite an interesting read aswell.

Is that the one advertised in national papers? Always wondered whether it was a scam or not ...

TX.

StrikE 23 November 2010 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Jeffery (Post 9730270)
I find this one tends to slow them up a bit.
I was on my way to the office, not in any kind of hurry. I found myself wanting to take 5, so I parked up behind this van and opened the bonnet, so as to allow some air at the motor. I sat in the car, read the paper, did the crossword, walked around for a bit and took a couple of pictures. (Free Country!)
When I decided to leave, I asked the nice man in the van to move, as he was impeding my lawful progress onto the motorway, parked where he was. After a brief discussion on the subject, he duly cleared off.
It was pointed out to me that my life could be made difficult in the future, as he would most certainly have taken my reg number.
As the car belonged to my brother I wasn't fussed in the least!

LOL @ that one.

Thought i have been stung a few times on the motorway, if you slow down to the limit [well depending on how fast you were going] i am sure they need to take two measures of your speed over a certain distance.

14 days does drag in a bit though

prestigesec 23 November 2010 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Terminator X (Post 9730320)
Is that the one advertised in national papers? Always wondered whether it was a scam or not ...

TX.

Its a green book and def worth the money mate without a doubt, it will change the way you react and things you say next time you pulled, saved my bacon from the bacon many a time.

Prob a newer version out now as i said mine is about 4 or 5 years old but the name is "Martin Thwaite"

prestigesec 23 November 2010 09:59 PM

http://www.drivershandbook.co.uk/

Found a link for it think you can buy it risk free aswell so if you dont like it send it back, trust me though you will keep it!

Glowplug 23 November 2010 09:59 PM

Just tell them you want all the evidence as you may intend going not guilty. I got all the calibration certificates and statements, including the nice pics in post #10.

Once you have all the evidence against you, you can either goto a solicitor or, in my case, roll over as they had me banged to rights.

Saalro 23 November 2010 11:20 PM

Thanks for all the help all and lol at parking behind the van haha, takes some balls!

Terminator X 24 November 2010 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9730450)
Just tell them you want all the evidence as you may intend going not guilty. I got all the calibration certificates and statements, including the nice pics in post #10.

Once you have all the evidence against you, you can either goto a solicitor or, in my case, roll over as they had me banged to rights.

Who's that f*cking weird looking fool driving your car though ...

TX.