ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   engine break in (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/860465-engine-break-in.html)

stef28-2008 18 November 2010 05:02 PM

engine break in

whats the best way i thought it would be country roads but ive been told to take it down motor way few times :Suspiciou

Splitpin 18 November 2010 05:05 PM

After some basic systems checks to ensure everything is working and nothing is leaking, I generally follow a procedure very similar to the one suggested here.

stef28-2008 18 November 2010 05:18 PM

so country rds short burst in 2nd 3rd 4th cahnge oil after 20 miles on the remap it will be a run in map i will have no boost lol

JohnD 18 November 2010 05:46 PM

Yes, I've seen that before and it was the subject of some controversy on here.
I can see the logic in it, in fact, back in the late '60's I used to sprint and hill climb a Mini and remember talking to a guy who did the same with an un-modified MGB who said he took it "easy" for the first 500 miles then after changing the oil and filter "ragged it" His B was noticably faster than similar (and some modified) cars. The same with a couple of guys I knew who bought similar Jap bikes. One used it hard right from the start and his finished up easily the quickest of the two.

JohnD

Splitpin 18 November 2010 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by JohnD (Post 9720069)
Yes, I've seen that before and it was the subject of some controversy on here.

It's controversial because it runs utterly contrary to the "received wisdom", and because people are, for entirely understandable reasons, keen to do the best by their new cars (or expensively built engines). Under these circumstances the idea of being gentle on your new engine just "sounds better" than giving it a (very deliberately planned and managed) caning.

When you analyse it objectively, it is far more logical, especially for a modern, close toleranced engine, than the "old way".

Originally Posted by stef28-2008 (Post 9720021)
so country rds short burst in 2nd 3rd 4th cahnge oil after 20 miles on the remap it will be a run in map i will have no boost lol

No boost, or actuator boost, or running-in boost? Slightly different things! As per the link I gave you the best place to carry this process out is on a track where you can genuinely drive it flat out without worrying about speed limits, or people coming the other way.

Doing it on actuator boost is far from ideal too. Have you thought about getting your mapper to come with you, so you can start on a "safe performance" map, run it in, change the oil, and then have him put the proper one on?

Incidentally, I see from elsewhere that you've got a new Enginetuner-built engine. As such they are probably the best people to advise you on running-in processes, especially if there are relevant warranty terms etc.