ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Thud noise on full lock (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/859810-thud-noise-on-full-lock.html)

Reef 14 November 2010 08:19 AM

Thud noise on full lock

After a 30min run I was pulling onto my drive and felt a thud, thud type feeling through the steering wheel. Backed off the drive and back onto the road and felt it again going backwards. The more lock I use the more you can feel it. Tried it a few times backwards forwards and backwards and on both locks and its there. At speed or driving normally its fine.
Any ideas??

I've done a search on here but nothing conclusive came up.

Stevo-C 14 November 2010 11:23 AM

Reckon I've got the same

:wonder:
2005 STI UK
Mine is fine until I've got about 80 degrees of rotation on the steering wheel and then if hit a bump, I get a gentle 'clunk'. Thought it might be related to a buggered drop link but I replaced those and its still there. While it was up on the ramp I gave everything a tug with a gentle lever and got nothing...

Reef 14 November 2010 01:59 PM

Bump - Just tried it again and its not doing it??

Guess it only happens when it's been driven for a while.

joz8968 14 November 2010 05:37 PM

OP, which model do you have? Is it fitted with the DCCD trans. i.e. Type R/RA or 6-sp., or indeed fitted as a mod.?

If so then if you have it in the DCCD light in one of the oranges on the dash, then the front and rear axles are locked together (to a lesser or greater degree - depending on which orange light is showing). You need to put it into either of the rearmost green lights to unlock it - or if a 6-sp., you can stick it into "Auto" to unlock it, as well.

Reef 15 November 2010 08:19 AM

Hi,

Thanks joz8968

I have a standard 5 speed box on my V5 STI. Just did a 40min run to work and nothing when pulling into the car park???

I'll try it on the run home as my drive is on a slope, maybe that has something to do with it.

joz8968 15 November 2010 12:03 PM

Good taste - same car as me. ;)

Oh well, that rules out any DCCD maladies then.

Reef 15 November 2010 02:56 PM

Its doing it again!!
Went for a spin at lunch. over 80% lock getting what almost feels like the tyre skipping or something slipping.
Could it be something like cracked wishbone or ARB??
Hope its not the diff....

joz8968 15 November 2010 03:03 PM

Yeah, it does sound like a failed suspension component.

Perhaps a drop link's nut and bolt have worked loose or something... :wonder:

Reef 15 November 2010 03:05 PM

Thanks mate, I'll have a look tonight.

joey_turbo 15 November 2010 03:33 PM

I noticed the same thing on my MY00 UK. Only noticed it when reversing on full lock, its like the front wheel isn't getting traction for a moment, and then finds it.

Flathead 15 November 2010 03:48 PM

Getting these symptoms and think it may be the centre diff on my classic !

Reef 15 November 2010 04:17 PM

Just seen this thread, hummm

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...-knocking.html

joz8968 15 November 2010 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Reef (Post 9713896)

Drop links! ;)

Reef 15 November 2010 08:04 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just checked my Droplinks, they look ok (not cracked or anything)but there is a bit of movement, side to side and up and down.

Attachment 66785

Looking at the rear, I think the diff has a leak.
I've cleaned it up and will see how long it takes to get dirty again. Could this be a cause to the judder on the front?

Attachment 66786

Reef 27 November 2010 04:31 PM

It was the centre diff. :(

Big thanks to Dave at API for his 10 second diagnosis.

Just returned from having the diff fitted by them and all's fixed. Top job and super service. If anything else needs doing I think I'll be heading up the M40 again.

Big :thumb: to API!

joz8968 27 November 2010 05:16 PM

Yep, API rule. Knowledge base is excellent.

Did you get them to fit your own supplied 2nd hand replacement... Or did API supply you a known good unit?

Reef 27 November 2010 05:27 PM

The centre diff on my model is prone to failure, they don't do replacement ones so I had a brand new one fitted.
Cost a few quid but its made quite a difference. Feels a lot more secure when accelerating out of corners. They changed the gearbox oil as well and that feels a load better.