ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Strange noise from engine under load (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/859735-strange-noise-from-engine-under-load.html)

Rambo 13 November 2010 02:59 PM

Strange noise from engine under load

Hi all,

Haven't posted here for years.
Have a 53 plate sti and have recently come across a strange noise. Coming home from a long run in France, when running up a hill under load, this noise started with a whistle which when you come off the throttle disappeared, (turbo ?), however this noise went onto become a shriek which as before under load could be heard but when off the throttle disappeared, and on at least two occasions the car seemed to lose power, have just used the car today on the motorway and the noise started again which then went on to become no power, however after stopping (tick over) everything disappeared i e: no noise or whistle but then started all over again within a few minutes, have stuck head under bonnet but can not replicate the noise, have stuck a screw drive on the turbo and had a listen and that doesn't sound to good.

Any ideas?

Andy

Glowplug 13 November 2010 03:33 PM

Exhaust, up or downpipe. Possible cat degradation causing a blockage or leak?:wonder:

Billet 13 November 2010 03:55 PM

maybe a small hole in a pipe, as this sounds a lot like what my vectra used to do, only a guess however.

Rambo 13 November 2010 04:29 PM

following on from my previous thread, we now have white smoke from the exhaust when pressing the throttle, but not on idle.

Andy

Glowplug 13 November 2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rambo (Post 9710625)
following on from my previous thread, we now have white smoke from the exhaust when pressing the throttle, but not on idle.

Andy

Is this with the car at operating temp or at cold start???

White smoke is usually water/steam. What is the temp gauge saying, and what is the coolent level like??

Rambo 13 November 2010 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by b13bat (Post 9710643)
Is this with the car at operating temp or at cold start???

White smoke is usually water/steam. What is the temp gauge saying, and what is the coolent level like??

Temp of engine normal, no engine warning lights just strange noise, haven't checked the water level yet,

Andy

my94wrx 13 November 2010 04:50 PM

could well be the turbo has died and the impeller is rubbing on the inlet housing, i have seen it happen like this a few times.

Glowplug 13 November 2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rambo (Post 9710655)
Temp of engine normal, no engine warning lights just strange noise, haven't checked the water level yet,

Andy

Originally Posted by my94wrx (Post 9710656)
could well be the turbo has died and the impeller is rubbing on the inlet housing, i have seen it happen like this a few times.

Mmmmm, not sounding good at all.:wonder:

Keep us informed.;)

Rambo 13 November 2010 05:24 PM

I presume from these ideas that the turbo needs to be removed, is it an easy job ????????

Andy

Glowplug 13 November 2010 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rambo (Post 9710710)
I presume from these ideas that the turbo needs to be removed, is it an easy job ????????

Andy

It's all just conjecture at this time mate, it could be alot of things unfortunatly.

But if the turbo does need removing, it's not too bad a job, depends how much of a spanner monkey you are.;)

JohnD 13 November 2010 06:49 PM

Turbo bearing and/or seal. You could be looking at a re-conditioned turbo. Sometimes VF35's come up for sale, on here.

JohnD

Rambo 24 November 2010 05:13 PM

just to let you all know that the Turbo had had it, it appears that this may have been going over a period of time as since sticking new turbo in (2nd hand) we have power again,it appears that the seal inside had gone as in removing the turbo there was no oil in the center section and a lot of brown crap on the exhaust outlet side, will post a picture of removed unit when i get a minute.

Thanks for all the advice
Andy

my94wrx 24 November 2010 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Rambo (Post 9731755)
just to let you all know that the Turbo had had it, it appears that this may have been going over a period of time as since sticking new turbo in (2nd hand) we have power again,it appears that the seal inside had gone as in removing the turbo there was no oil in the center section and a lot of brown crap on the exhaust outlet side, will post a picture of removed unit when i get a minute.

Thanks for all the advice
Andy

its good to hear the problems fixed:thumb:.