ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Google Chrome and Other Alternative Browsers (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/859732-google-chrome-and-other-alternative-browsers.html)

GlesgaKiss 13 November 2010 02:37 PM

Google Chrome and Other Alternative Browsers

For the first time ever - and a lot of you tech guys will probably laugh at this - I've just clicked on Google Chrome, which I've had on my computer for ages, to see what it's like.

Have to say I'm pretty impressed with the speed compared to Internet Explorer; Looks like I'll be using this all the time now. Pages load up much faster.

My question is: what other browsers are there and how do they compare to Google Chrome? What do the rest of you use?

Cheers,

Alan

NAF 13 November 2010 02:57 PM

I use Firefox :)

ScoobyDoo555 13 November 2010 03:18 PM

Chrome is pretty quick - the downside being that a fair few websites won't work on it (yet).

tbh, I use Firefox. (can't remember the last time I used IE)

mystery_machine 13 November 2010 03:37 PM

Firefox here too :)

JackClark 13 November 2010 03:39 PM

Webkit, Chrome and Safari are based on it. www.webkit.org

Ant 13 November 2010 03:59 PM

Firefox even on my mac

mart360 13 November 2010 04:00 PM

Chrome is a bit too lite for me :(

and it has a reall hissy fit with vista.

downloads become a real gamble,

Firefox 3 at the moment.

4 has turned into bloatware, with loads of """integrated""

unnecessary stuff added..

Mart

Aaron1978 13 November 2010 04:19 PM

I was reading on engadget about IE9, it comes only second to google chrome.

"We've hit you with a lot of information here, but at the end of the day our main question remains: do we need to continue to download Chrome or Firefox every time we get a new PC? Our answer: it's certainly not mandatory anymore, or at least it shouldn't be by the time IE9 is ready to ship with new PCs. The interface is attractive and clean, the new features robust and the speed greatly improved. Microsoft has sped up and cleaned up Internet Explorer 9 to a point where it's not only usable, but actually a real pleasure to use.

Is it worth running to download right this second, and will it replace Chrome or Firefox on your desktop? That's really up to you. We'd suggest testing it out – what's there to lose, right? (We should note we couldn't get it to install properly on a Gateway ID laptop and had to do a system restore to get IE8 back correctly.) We still find Chrome to be a faster browser and those seeking just raw speed will probably be happier with Google's product, but now with IE9's improved feature set and interface it's ultimately going to come down to personal preferences."

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/15/i...9-beta-review/

dunx 13 November 2010 08:54 PM

I like Chrome...

dunx

P.S. RCMS site is broken by it though...

XRS 14 November 2010 07:24 AM

Still on Firefox here

GlesgaKiss 14 November 2010 03:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. Might have to give Firefox a go sometime. Didn't realise some sites wouldn't work on Chrome.

Might just keep using it anyway... can always use Internet Explorer if I can't get on a site with Chrome.

scoobyverysoon 14 November 2010 04:00 PM

firefox main pc but use chrome on my netbook runs far better then firefox

Butty 14 November 2010 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by dunx (Post 9711001)
I like Chrome...

dunx

P.S. RCMS site is broken by it though...

+1
I think Chrome knows my bank balance so won't let me see their prices.

Can't say there's many other sites that can't deal with Chrome though.
FF is my back up browser.

sedge69 14 November 2010 10:46 PM

firefox all the way

sedge

Dedrater 15 November 2010 12:11 PM

Firefox and K-meleon on the Netbooks.