ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   How to buy an expensive car! (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/859550-how-to-buy-an-expensive-car.html)

Trout 11 November 2010 09:40 PM

How to buy an expensive car!

A friend of mine (yes, a banker) went out to buy a car.

First of all she went to the Porsche dealer where they showed her a one year old C4S with a sticker of £95k (how it was that much boggles my mind!).

After much farting around to see if her golf clubs could be put in it she made an offer and said she would buy it if the price started with an 8. The salesman messed about, spoke to his boss and said no. He said he would speak to her after the weekend.

Not deterred she then went down the road to the Aston Dealer where they had a Vantage that was only a few months old for £85k. She thought, oooh, cheap! And bought it on the spot.

The following Monday, the Porsche guy phoned to find he lost his sale. And she also bought a small Mercedes as she realised the Aston wasn't practical day to day around Leeds!

The wierdest thing is that this is by far the most she has ever spent on a car (by threefold) and yet the buying process was simply I want to buy an expensive car today!

Jamz3k 11 November 2010 09:44 PM

what a ****

Trout 11 November 2010 09:47 PM

Don't hold back!

She's not actually but I am not sure what your comment says about you!

Myles 11 November 2010 09:49 PM

Not happy tonight are we?!

mr hat 11 November 2010 09:52 PM

lmfao!!!!!!!!!! think he speaks for the majority who are struggling to make ends meet in such hard times.

Matteeboy 11 November 2010 09:57 PM

Extremely dull practical question but how do you actually pay that much money?

The Landy and the BM were both around £21k but with cars to p/x we had about £16/17Kish K to pay. There seemed no way we could pay for them in one go as all (apparently) banks have a £10k per day limit (we paid by direct transfer) - so with an £85k car do you pay over nine days?!

Seems a bit archaic to me.

Jimpreza 11 November 2010 10:07 PM

Probably on tick Matteeboy.

hodgy0_2 11 November 2010 10:07 PM

she works for a bank

I am sure she will be able to work something out

Scooby Soon! 11 November 2010 10:09 PM

Debit card works fine

Trout 11 November 2010 10:24 PM

Debit card, CHAPS, wire transfer.

Mattee - I am not sure about Cornwall, but in the rest of the country sometimes houses can cost over £100,000 and they can be paid for in one day ;)

Dingdongler 11 November 2010 10:34 PM

How does a C4S cost £95k?? What was it specced with, a solid gold vibrator?

MMT WRX 11 November 2010 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9707747)
Debit card, CHAPS, wire transfer.

Mattee - I am not sure about Cornwall, but in the rest of the country sometimes houses can cost over £100,000 and they can be paid for in one day ;)

:D

Trout 11 November 2010 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9707762)

I was as befuddled as you are. £95k for a one year old C4S is a joke!!!! You can get a new GT3 for that money!

sti-04!! 11 November 2010 11:06 PM

Mattee - I thought you were clued up ;)

Matteeboy 12 November 2010 09:29 AM

Nope - I called the bank and said I want to transfer £17k(ish) - they said it had to be over two days which was a PITA. Yes there is CHAPS but tight ar5e me won't pay for the "honour" of transferring money.

Anyway it's hardly a daily occurrence so not really an issue.

sti-04!! 12 November 2010 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 9708224)
Nope - I called the bank and said I want to transfer £17k(ish) - they said it had to be over two days which was a PITA. Yes there is CHAPS but tight ar5e me won't pay for the "honour" of transferring money.

Anyway it's hardly a daily occurrence so not really an issue.

BACS does it same day as well & theres no limit on that either. It just must be the cornish way of life :p

Matteeboy 12 November 2010 09:52 AM

It might be our account (HSBC Premier)? Same £10k a day restriction on our business account. I will 'ave words.

Have transferred far more than £10k when working for other businesses (not into my own account sadly) but that was old school faxing of info.

ALi-B 12 November 2010 09:53 AM

Used a debit card before on two £25K purchases.

Bank didn't like it though (have to go through security etc) even when I did have the funds in the current account :rolleyes:

Trout 12 November 2010 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 9708264)
It might be our account (HSBC Premier)? Same £10k a day restriction on our business account. I will 'ave words.

Have transferred far more than £10k when working for other businesses (not into my own account sadly) but that was old school faxing of info.

Business accounts are different.

Matteeboy 12 November 2010 09:57 AM

Trout - Not in our case they aren't!

Anyway back to the original topic - that is a mad tale of serious money!

Mitchy260 12 November 2010 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Trout (Post 9707649)
A friend of mine (yes, a banker) went out to buy a car.

First of all she went to the Porsche dealer where they showed her a one year old C4S with a sticker of £95k (how it was that much boggles my mind!).

After much farting around to see if her golf clubs could be put in it she made an offer and said she would buy it if the price started with an 8. The salesman messed about, spoke to his boss and said no. He said he would speak to her after the weekend.

Not deterred she then went down the road to the Aston Dealer where they had a Vantage that was only a few months old for £85k. She thought, oooh, cheap! And bought it on the spot.

The following Monday, the Porsche guy phoned to find he lost his sale. And she also bought a small Mercedes as she realised the Aston wasn't practical day to day around Leeds!

The wierdest thing is that this is by far the most she has ever spent on a car (by threefold) and yet the buying process was simply I want to buy an expensive car today!

I would have thought tying up £85k cash into a heavily depreciating asset was an extremely bad financial decision.

If I had £85k sitting around, I would have bought an apartment/flat, let it out to generate an income and then use what is left from that plus my own contribution into leasing the vehicle. The original capital likely to grow over the longterm, it's generating an income and there is no money tied up in a heavily depreciating piece of metal.

But hey, I'm not a banker.

john banks 12 November 2010 10:11 AM

Debit card bought my present car. They had to phone the bank who spoke to me and asked me lots of questions either directly or through the dealer which did rather reveal my financial information to the dealer which I wasn't impressed with. This happened buying my last two cars.

Matteeboy 12 November 2010 10:11 AM

But then Mitchy you are buying a depreciating asset (at the moment and likely to remain so for at least a few years) and paying interest/costs on a lease for a car.

If you have the cash, just buy what you want.

John - really? That's a bit bloody off! Did you complain?

I think paying cash is quite a rarity - on both cars they've reacted rather oddly to the "crazy" concept of buying a car for cash. It's a cracking negotiating point - had loads of extras thrown in and bargained hard on price for both.

Clearly talking tiny sums when compared to a new(ish) 911/GTR/etc.

john banks 12 November 2010 10:39 AM

No I just spoke quietly. The crazy thing is that in both situations I phoned in advance to tell them what was going to happen, but it still took about 20 minutes each time. Much easier than buying a house though.

I think they can make more on the finance these days, stitched up like a kipper is I think the phrase that is appropriate in many cases.

Matteeboy 12 November 2010 10:54 AM

Indeed - I know someone who tried to buy a new VW Golf for cash recently. When she told them she wasn't interested in any finance (after the sales guy really pushed it) , she got a genuinely frosty response!

Trout 12 November 2010 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Mitchy260 (Post 9708283)
I would have thought tying up £85k cash into a heavily depreciating asset was an extremely bad financial decision.

If I had £85k sitting around, I would have bought an apartment/flat, let it out to generate an income and then use what is left from that plus my own contribution into leasing the vehicle. The original capital likely to grow over the longterm, it's generating an income and there is no money tied up in a heavily depreciating piece of metal.

This from a man who has just spend £37k on a car on a balloon finance payment :rolleyes: and you are criticising someone elses financial decisions!

Just for reference she already has an apartment in London and a house in Spain.

Up until four years ago she had spent most of her career earning normal kind of money - it is only in the last four years that she has suddenly moved up the career ladder!

JackClark 12 November 2010 11:51 AM

Good for her, I blew all my corporate money on booze and women... well most of it. A nice car on the drive would have been a far better plan.

Matteeboy 12 November 2010 11:51 AM

Moved up the ladder? Sounds like she's grown wings and flown up it!

GC8WRX 12 November 2010 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9707762)

thats what happens when a prsche dealer is located near women that earn too much money, they think they can take the pi55!

stilover 12 November 2010 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mitchy260 (Post 9708283)

If you only invested in something to earn money, what would be the point if you don't spend it on something you like/want.

For someone to have £85k to spend on a car, you have to assume they already have a house and are living quite comfortably in order to have saved £85k to spunk on a car.

Depreciating asset = stupidity? Should have invested.

When are you getting your depreciating TT-RS?