ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Other Marques (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/)
-   -   OK- I'm about to buy a boring car (https://www.scoobynet.com/other-marques-33/859494-ok-im-about-to-buy-a-boring-car.html)

Dingdongler 11 November 2010 03:23 PM

OK- I'm about to buy a boring car

Sorry, not as exciting as some of the exotica people are buying on here but subject to an overnight test drive I will be placing an order for the F10 535D Msport.

Cosmos black

Oyster leather, heated, electric comfort seats
Heated steering wheel:thumb:

19 inch alloys

Electric sunroof

Sport autobox

Sat Nav Business (with blue tooth)

Adaptive drive (MAYBE):confused:

Visibility package (Xenon adaptive lights etc)

Split rear seats

Head Up display

Professional speaker package

M rear spoiler

Folding mirrors

Comfort glass

And some other bits.

Then shortly after

1) Remap to approx 350BHP

2) Lowered with AC Schnitzer springs

Exterior will look like this

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451540

And interior like the first car in this thread.

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361027

Hope I don't get bored. If I do the plan will be to buy a year old M5 in 2013 or keep the 535d for family duties and add a Porsche 911 to the stable

Jimpreza 11 November 2010 03:27 PM

I am liking that Ding :thumb:

Matteeboy 11 November 2010 03:42 PM

I can think of more boring cars...!

Looks great to me!

RobEvo5 11 November 2010 03:43 PM

Very nice, I should grow up stop mucking about and get something like that...

Dingdongler 11 November 2010 03:50 PM

Thanks for all the comments.

Rob, you probably aren't as old as me so you have plenty of time yet to be sensible:)

I can't seem to find any definitive answer on whether to get adaptive drive or not. It's not cheap (over £2k) and is being offered on the 5 series for the first time. I can't seem to figure out whether the M Sport suspension would be better or the adaptive in terms of keen handling. The M Sport suspension is deleted on the M Sport car when you tick the adaptive drive box.

My dealer, who has been very helpful, can't seem to locate a car in any of its network that has the adaptive drive (Sytner)

zip106 11 November 2010 04:46 PM

Looks great, Deep!

I'm glad you chose that over a 7 series because I'd have had to give you these ( they were for Trout really, but I thought you might need them more...)

http://www.beverlyhillsmotorsport.co...jpg?1212532107

:)

edit - you forgot 'indicators' off your options list.

Reffro 11 November 2010 05:05 PM

Not wishing to sound daft, but why buy adaptive suspension if you plan to use Schnitzer springs, surely the two are incompatible.

Trout 11 November 2010 05:27 PM

Great car - you won't be disappointed. In real, day to day driving you have a very rapid gran tourer with four doors and five seats!

LG John 11 November 2010 06:18 PM

I prefer the e60 exterior.....although the new interior is nicer. All in all a lovely car, and the exterior will probably grow on me as I see more of them about. I think my beef is that it looks like a bigger 3-series whereas old 5-series models usually looked quite different to their 3-series counterparts.

RB5 Boyo 11 November 2010 06:37 PM

I wouldnt think that will be very boring at all....very nice indeed :thumb:

J4CKO 11 November 2010 07:19 PM

Nice !

Dingdongler 11 November 2010 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by zip106 (Post 9706932)
Looks great, Deep!

I'm glad you chose that over a 7 series because I'd have had to give you these ( they were for Trout really, but I thought you might need them more...)

http://www.beverlyhillsmotorsport.co...jpg?1212532107

:)

edit - you forgot 'indicators' off your options list.

Those gloves look a little fashionable to me, do you have anything a bit more conservative?:lol1:

Dingdongler 11 November 2010 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Reffro (Post 9706973)
Not wishing to sound daft, but why buy adaptive suspension if you plan to use Schnitzer springs, surely the two are incompatible.

No, Schnitzer make lowering springs specifically for cars with adaptive drive. To be honest though I have no idea how the whole thing will work in that I haven't even driven a car with adaptive drive so don't even know if its better than the M Sport suspension.

Its amazing isn't it? I've been searching the internet for this answer (M Sport vs adaptive drive) and have joined about 4 BMW forums but NOBODY can give me the answer.

Dingdongler 11 November 2010 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy (Post 9707125)
I prefer the e60 exterior.....although the new interior is nicer. All in all a lovely car, and the exterior will probably grow on me as I see more of them about. I think my beef is that it looks like a bigger 3-series whereas old 5-series models usually looked quite different to their 3-series counterparts.

It will grow on you, it grew on me really quickly. You need to see it with M Sport kit and big wheels, otherwise like all BMWs it looks a little plain to say the least. As somebody else said on here it is like a very expensive well cut suit, not shouty or flash but just right.

drb5 11 November 2010 08:52 PM

Fri kin gor geous!

Very jealous fella, as that as epicly stunning choice. :cool:

Refreshing to see someone not going for the black/black combo. :)

hodgy0_2 11 November 2010 09:00 PM

as above

and I am sure you will not get bored of the MPG, and the rest will just get better and better

classy choice

dnc 11 November 2010 10:56 PM

:thumb:

sti-04!! 11 November 2010 11:03 PM

Lovely! I fancy the tourer but will wait till after the new year & once its been out so i can get proper reviews from people like yourself Deep.
When do you take delivery ?

Dingdongler 12 November 2010 06:56 AM

Thanks, the positive comments are all making me feel better. Its a strange feeling going from something a little bit exotic to something more mainstream.

If I place the order in the next week or so then should get it by end of Jan I was told.

This is all still subject to my 24 hour test drive next week though.

sti-04!! 12 November 2010 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Dingdongler (Post 9708067)
If I place the order in the next week or so then should get it by end of Jan I was told.

This is all still subject to my 24 hour test drive next week though.

Why not hold off until march then ?

Matteeboy 12 November 2010 09:32 AM

Ding - I reckon it'll get under your skin and soon you'll be lost without it.

You'll be at least doubling range between fuel stops yet only going a tiny bit slower. Yes an M5 is flipping fast off the mark but once rolling, a 535d, especially mapped, will surprise you. Just chill your driving style a bit and you'll love it.

GC8WRX 12 November 2010 12:07 PM

nice motor, how much did the options cost or did you squeeze them out of the dealer?

Matteeboy 12 November 2010 12:16 PM

Ding's boring "filler" car is probably quite a few people's semi realistic dream car...!

zip106 12 November 2010 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Matteeboy (Post 9708513)
Ding's boring "filler" car is probably quite a few people's semi realistic dream car...!

Only if you're as old as he is ;)

bluenosewrx 12 November 2010 06:18 PM

Lovely that, only thing i dont like is the diffuser being a different colour from the body.

But i wouldnt say no.lol

Mac

Dingdongler 12 November 2010 06:56 PM

Thanks.

Sti04, if I take delivery before March they will waive the VAT rise. To be honest I'm gagging to change my car and another two months wait would be painful. It will still be a 2011 car so resale value shouldn't really be affected?

Blue, agree with you on the diffuser, doesn't look too bad on dark colours, looks really odd when the car is white.

Mattee, I don't think it'll be the power I'll miss. It will all depend on how it goes around corners because I do still like to 'drive' even though as Zip says I'm old!

GC8, options cost a fortune. This is the first time in about 15 years I've bought a new car and I was shocked at how little comes as standard. Base price is about £46k and I've managed to spec it to about £57k, and that's without some of the really fancy stuff like auto parking, night pedestrian recognition, rear seat entertainment etc.

I have got a discount from them so should cost me about £52k plus I've saved 2.5% from the vat rise so about £6.5k off in total.

Anyway they've agreed to let me have the test drive for the whole weekend, so I'll know for sure by Monday.

john banks 12 November 2010 09:33 PM

Nice car, but I would be scared of spending that much on something just nice, but not incredible in any way, especially if you're not using to buying new and getting raped by the options list. What would similar money get you at 1-2 years old? I take it you're really impressed by the car?

john banks 12 November 2010 09:55 PM

There is a selection of 2010 530d on the Approved Used BMW UK site for £17k less before you start negotiating. Some with 6000 miles that if you shop about will be like new. Yes they are SE, not the 535d, slightly lower spec, but you'll have £20k in your pocket and 95% of the car arguably?

john banks 12 November 2010 09:59 PM

There is a 10 plate 535i SE with 8000 miles for £37k before negotiation too.

thesyn 12 November 2010 10:07 PM

Have to agree with the mighty JB on this.
That is a shed load of cash to spend on something "capable".
For near 60k there has to be a third way and you are not in a branch of the NHS which allows motoring tax relief ( for what it is worth )