ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   top hose HOT, bottom hose COLD (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/859355-top-hose-hot-bottom-hose-cold.html)

HT04 10 November 2010 03:54 PM

top hose HOT, bottom hose COLD

ive just changed my top hose on my 2004 STi. For a nice silicone item. after refitting, topping up coolant and running the car for a good 40 mins, maybe more, my fans are not cutting in and the top hose is hot with the bottom hose stone cold.

any ideas ?

dan

.p.s ive got hot air at the vents.

pinkypurkhardt 10 November 2010 04:05 PM

sounds like an air lock mate

rapid.STI 10 November 2010 04:41 PM

air lock matey!! you need to top it up via the coolent pipe that goes from header tank 2 the turbo,

first drain all coolent bk out, then do the following....

remove coolent hose from header tank side, then remove the top little radiator hose on top drivers side of rad (goes bk to header), then either use a funnel or the hose pipe (if the engine is hot use warm water) put funnel in the turbo hose, start to top it up (dont let the funnel run dry) keep topping up till it starts to trickle out of the top of the rad, put the little hose bk on and keep topping up till the header is at the right level, refit the header to turbo hose,

get in the car and turn heaters on full warm. fire car up and leave it running for about 5-10mins , leave the header cap of the header. once the car is up to temp and blowing warm heat through the blowers replace the header tank cap. take her for a run keeping a look on the temp,, all should be well there after.

hope this gives u an idea:)
wayne.

HT04 10 November 2010 05:02 PM

cheers for the write up matey ^^^^ :thumb:.

i had a flick through the search function and found a few bleeding solutions. and im pleased to say that i think its all good now. ran the engine with the cap off etc, etc, topped up coolant and ran until no more air bubbles were coming through.

took the car for a short drive around the local area, and got back to find that the bottom hose was nice and hot as was the top and the rad was nice and warm throughout. a few minutes later, both fans kicked in.

and i certainly do have nice warm air at the vents.

im quessing thats all normal now ? its like it was before anyways, so im happy now :D

dan

rapid.STI 10 November 2010 07:18 PM

cheers for the write up matey ^^^^ .

i had a flick through the search function and found a few bleeding solutions. and im pleased to say that i think its all good now. ran the engine with the cap off etc, etc, topped up coolant and ran until no more air bubbles were coming through.

took the car for a short drive around the local area, and got back to find that the bottom hose was nice and hot as was the top and the rad was nice and warm throughout. a few minutes later, both fans kicked in.

and i certainly do have nice warm air at the vents.

im quessing thats all normal now ? its like it was before anyways, so im happy now
all sounds well matey;)

HT04 10 November 2010 07:29 PM

cheers wayne. :thumb:

dan