ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Wonder why your pc takes sooo long to boot? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/858996-wonder-why-your-pc-takes-sooo-long-to-boot.html)

mart360 07 November 2010 10:16 PM

Wonder why your pc takes sooo long to boot?

Just come across this bit of kit :)

It analyses what runs at startup, what can be removed, and the time saved

www.soluto.com

25 secs off the xp machine, and almost a minute of the vista one

Mart :D

GazTheHat 08 November 2010 08:20 AM

Just trying it now. Very simple to use and setup. Let's see...

NAF 08 November 2010 08:26 AM

I have Asrock instant boot on mine as the MB supports it

Full boot in 4 secs

Its crazy fast :lol1:

Only thing is it takes twice as long to shutdown .....

Who cares about that though ;)

dunx 08 November 2010 10:54 AM

SSD FTW.

dunx

mart360 08 November 2010 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by NAF (Post 9700654)
I have Asrock instant boot on mine as the MB supports it

Full boot in 4 secs

Its crazy fast :lol1:

Only thing is it takes twice as long to shutdown .....

Who cares about that though ;)

What OS? XP?

id so drop me a pm and i,ll send some reg tweaks :)

Mart

Dedrater 08 November 2010 12:26 PM

Fairly pointless program, why not just go Start>Run>MSconfig and uncheck everything.

Unless I am missing something here?

RA Dunk 08 November 2010 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 9700922)
Fairly pointless program, why not just go Start>Run>MSconfig and uncheck everything.

Unless I am missing something here?

Thats all fine and dandy if you know what your 'unchecking', start 'unchecking' the wrong things in msconfig and it could lead to problems, at least with the likes of soluto it gives a brief explanation of what it is your doing away with.

Dedrater 08 November 2010 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by RA Dunk (Post 9700975)
Thats all fine and dandy if you know what your 'unchecking', start 'unchecking' the wrong things in msconfig and it could lead to problems, at least with the likes of soluto it gives a brief explanation of what it is your doing away with.

Not so, they are all optional, all critical system componants are loaded through Windows Services.

To see what these are and to see what is actually running in the background, type services.msc in Start > Run or the search box, this is where bigger performance increases can be made, simply changing a service from Automatic startup to Manual for instance, with no adverse effects in most cases, obviously always worth checking MS technet to check it's not a critical service

Rescue Dude 08 November 2010 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 9701060)
Not so, they are all optional, all critical system componants are loaded through Windows Services.

To see what these are and to see what is actually running in the background, type services.msc in Start > Run or the search box, this is where bigger performance increases can be made, simply changing a service from Automatic startup to Manual for instance, with no adverse effects in most cases, obviously always worth checking MS technet to check it's not a critical service

So with Solutu for example there wont be any adverse effects and you don't need to check MS Technet to find out if it's a critical system?

Now i'm no expert but that doesn't make Soluto a "fairly pointless program" to me.

Dedrater 08 November 2010 02:40 PM

You have misunderstood my above post. EDIT: or maybe not, I was on about the start-up Tab, not the services Tab.

The irony of this software is that it installs itself as a start-up program, to stop other start-up programs, when Windows has a built in app for that.

Rescue Dude 08 November 2010 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by Dedrater (Post 9701119)
You have misunderstood my above post.

The irony of this software is that it installs itself as a start-up program, to stop other start-up programs, when Windows has a built in app for that.

I understand your point but programs like this can be really helpful to eejits like me who are a bit erm..... computer illiterate.:lol1:

I once had a go with a previous pc and damn nearly wrecked it so need all the help I can get.

Ian 08 November 2010 03:17 PM

just seved 34 seconds off mine

scoobyverysoon 08 November 2010 08:38 PM

nice program I like how it explains things to you shaved 18 seconds off my startup takes 1.21

NAF 09 November 2010 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 9700911)
What OS? XP?

id so drop me a pm and i,ll send some reg tweaks :)

Mart

Hi Mart

Win 7 Ultimate

mart360 09 November 2010 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by NAF (Post 9702842)
Hi Mart

Win 7 Ultimate

I'll dig out the XP reg tweeks, and send them accross,

they may work for 7

Mart

Trout 09 November 2010 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 9700405)
Wonder why your pc takes sooo long to boot?

...because it's Windows?!

Norman Dog 10 November 2010 10:50 AM

You can do the same thing with ccleaner, a very good app that removes a lot of crap from the hard drive too. :)