ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Wheels, Tyres & Brakes (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/)
-   -   Tyre wear rates (aka miles per tyre?) (https://www.scoobynet.com/wheels-tyres-and-brakes-13/858837-tyre-wear-rates-aka-miles-per-tyre.html)

peterwbaker 06 November 2010 09:33 PM

Tyre wear rates (aka miles per tyre?)

Hi All, I know it is subjective but I wanted to know what sort of mileage I can expect from a set of tyres? I have a MY09 STI with PPP and I am not afraid to put my foot down as they say :) but the car has a nasty set of Nexen N3000 on which are dreadful and I am trying to decide if I should wait for them to wear out or if I should just ditch them! Do people normally get less than 10,000, more than 20,000? Thanks, Peter

Myles 06 November 2010 09:45 PM

I generally get 12k on the Falken FK452s and I am still on a pair on the back, which haved been there for about 20k. Obviously depends on compound though.

IggyRB320 06 November 2010 10:03 PM

MY07 RB320, from new has had the following, in this order;
OE Pirelli P-Zero Corsa,
Goodyear Eagle f1 Asymmetric,
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta,

They have all lasted approx 10k miles, with mainly motorway comute & bit of B raod blast!

cster 07 November 2010 12:37 AM

Originally Posted by peterwbaker (Post 9698126)
Hi All, I know it is subjective but I wanted to know what sort of mileage I can expect from a set of tyres? I have a MY09 STI with PPP and I am not afraid to put my foot down as they say :) but the car has a nasty set of Nexen N3000 on which are dreadful and I am trying to decide if I should wait for them to wear out or if I should just ditch them! Do people normally get less than 10,000, more than 20,000? Thanks, Peter

What kind of person would put these tyres on an 09 STI?(Ans. a dickhead)
Get rid and go for some Assyms.
Normally get 15K a set on an 06 STI PPP.

peterwbaker 07 November 2010 01:42 AM

Answer - a dealer demo:-) looks good but - well you can guess why I am asking!

cster 07 November 2010 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by peterwbaker (Post 9698639)
Answer - a dealer demo:-) looks good but - well you can guess why I am asking!

I would definitely get rid of them.
In my experience, crap tyres never wear out, plus one of the real bonuses of owning a Subaru is sure footedness in the wet. I can't imagine the Nexens would be too good in this department. Could be wrong.
Make sure the thing has been laser aligned as well, because these things are pretty sensitive to alignment.
Stick your hand in your pocket mate:thumb:

scoobyrichuk 07 November 2010 01:22 PM

I've found that I could wear a pair of front toyo t1-r's out in 5k on my classic due to the soft compound used (and the cheese like sidewalls). I currently have some Kuhmo KU31's on which seem to have noticeably stiffer sidewalls but are merely OK when it comes to grip/feel. I'm definitely going to invest in some proper premium tyres next time round and from what I've heard/read the ContiSportContact™ 5's are one of the best choices at the moment. Should be available in the right size for your MY09 STI as well...

DAMCHIEF 07 November 2010 02:11 PM

I've got Michelin Pilot Primacy HP on the rear off my MY00 turbo. They have loads of grip, the Falken 452s on the front always give wash wide first. Have done 15k miles on them and have loads of tread left. You get what you pay for.

M444GY 07 November 2010 04:56 PM

id ditch the nexans and get a better brand imo god knows why thre are nexans on there anyways tbh :)

peterwbaker 08 November 2010 04:00 PM

Hi, thanks for the replies, not wasting a year (only do about 10,000 miles in a year) so I have just decided to get rid of the nasty Nexen’s and try some Michelin Pilot Sport 3s, need to move up from a 245/35ZR19 to 255/35ZR19 but I can’t see 10mm additional width giving a problem? The price is a bit eye watering but then again what is the point in handicapping a quick car with “not so good” tyres! Peter

WRX101 08 November 2010 04:01 PM

I like the Bridgestone Potenza RE050. I've got 20,000 miles from them. Regular driving they are pretty normal, but get them hot and they go nice and sticky and give excellent grip. I find them to be a very good compromise between good grip and long lasting. With many other tyres you generally have to sacrifice grip for mileage.

carlosWRX 14 November 2010 07:22 PM

I too have Bridgestone Potenza RE050. I have done 10k on them (they were at 7mm when i bought the car and now they are at 3mm). Not bad really. Frustratingly they have too much grip - i like wheel spins in previous cars. But the grip around roundabouts is awesome. I will be replacing them with the same. 140 per tyre.