ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   ScoobyNet General (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/)
-   -   Recommend A Twin Scroll Exhaust System (https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-general-1/858623-recommend-a-twin-scroll-exhaust-system.html)

Cannon Fodder 05 November 2010 01:08 PM

Recommend A Twin Scroll Exhaust System

As per title really, I'm going to replace the Milltek exhaust system on my JDM Spec C and just wanted to know other members thought on the best system for quality and sound. :wonder:

I am leaning towards an RCM exhaust system at the moment and I want to change the complete system but I might well go for a decat in view of the slight performance gain and lower cost, I'll just refit the sports cat downpipe for MOT time. ;)

I've heard reports of H&S exhaust rusting quite badly and fracturing; is this just an urban myth or is there any truth in it? :confused:

-Nic- 05 November 2010 01:13 PM

I'm going to be fitting a 3" RCM system to mine.

rickya 05 November 2010 01:36 PM

RCM very loud.
H&S good quality but Jap exit also loud.
Miltek perfect sound balance but hit & miss build quality.
Blitz 3" also quite loud.

All above from personal experience on my old Spec C.
I would go for a 3" system with decat (bellmouth downpipe, heatwrapped) & either Miltek (making sure its well made piece) or a Fujitsubo system (very expensive).

I have heard Gandor are also very good but expensive. Failing all that, go to Hayward & Scott & ask them to manufacture you one to your specs, in terms of free flowing design & noise limits etc

juggers 05 November 2010 01:50 PM

RCM is the way to go and it is by far the best looking one out the bunch!

kennyc 05 November 2010 03:03 PM

I was going to see if we could get a group buy going for a twinscroll system as few people were asking...

RCM Options:
Loudest - Straight through centre section with team Ice backbox (Very loud)
2nd loudest - Silenced centre section with Team Ice backbox.
3rd loudest - Straight through centre section with RCM backbox
Quietest - Silenced centre section with RCM backbox.

All can be supplied with a cat in the downpipe which will quiten down each setup. Both tail pipes sit very similarly into the back bumper, which is nice and close for a much less obtrusive look.

I was interested in their 3rd loudest system. RCM came back with the following prices:
For 1-2 exhaust systems the cost would be £758.04+VAT each and the fitting kits £45.30+VAT.
For 3-5 exhaust systems, the cost would be £682.24+VAT and the fitting kits, £40.77+VAT.

Pic of the RCM system:
http://www.designbyfusion.co.uk/carpics/rcmexhaust.jpg

Other one I liked was Milltek but hearing a lot of bad feedback on them:
http://www.designbyfusion.co.uk/carp...tekexhaust.jpg

Cannon Fodder 05 November 2010 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by -Nic- (Post 9695818)
I'm going to be fitting a 3" RCM system to mine.

Originally Posted by juggers (Post 9695866)
RCM is the way to go and it is by far the best looking one out the bunch!

They definitely look by far the best quality of the available systems, the pics on the RCM website are :luvlove:

kennyc 05 November 2010 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 9696003)
They definitely look by far the best quality of the available systems, the pics on the RCM website are :luvlove:

Why are you changing your Milltek?

Cannon Fodder 05 November 2010 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by rickya (Post 9695844)
RCM very loud.
H&S good quality but Jap exit also loud.
Miltek perfect sound balance but hit & miss build quality.
Blitz 3" also quite loud.

All above from personal experience on my old Spec C.
I would go for a 3" system with decat (bellmouth downpipe, heatwrapped) & either Miltek (making sure its well made piece) or a Fujitsubo system (very expensive).

I have heard Gandor are also very good but expensive. Failing all that, go to Hayward & Scott & ask them to manufacture you one to your specs, in terms of free flowing design & noise limits etc

To be honest I'm not really after a really loud exhaust just something with a nice sound and definitely not a system that will give a droaning noise when at motorway speeds.

I'm definitely not going for a Milltek as you have said the build quality is a little hit and miss to say the least, I might give H&S a call to see what they can manufacture. :thumb:

Originally Posted by kennyc (Post 9695995)
I was going to see if we could get a group buy going for a twinscroll system as few people were asking...

RCM Options:
Loudest - Straight through centre section with team Ice backbox (Very loud)
2nd loudest - Silenced centre section with Team Ice backbox.
3rd loudest - Straight through centre section with RCM backbox
Quietest - Silenced centre section with RCM backbox.

All can be supplied with a cat in the downpipe which will quiten down each setup. Both tail pipes sit very similarly into the back bumper, which is nice and close for a much less obtrusive look.

I was interested in their 3rd loudest system. RCM came back with the following prices:
For 1-2 exhaust systems the cost would be £758.04+VAT each and the fitting kits £45.30+VAT.
For 3-5 exhaust systems, the cost would be £682.24+VAT and the fitting kits, £40.77+VAT.

Pics here:
http://www.designbyfusion.co.uk/carpics/rcmexhaust.jpg

I'm leaning towards the 3rd option on your list with a decat pipe in place of a sports cat, I would be interested if there was a group buy if there was one going ahead but I'd like to order sooner rather than later. :)

Cannon Fodder 05 November 2010 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by kennyc (Post 9696010)

It may be visual but I'm not a fan of the amount of surface corrosion on the system, the build quality seems quite poor on my exhaust and even though they use stainless steel I wonder which grade. :eek:

juggers 05 November 2010 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by kennyc (Post 9696010)

He's a mad man He will buy something and if it's not to his taste will replace it straight away! You should of seen the goodies that came of his MY05 sti :thumb:

daz1968 05 November 2010 10:05 PM

I had a H&S centre section on m wrx for 2+ years I removed when I sold the car, no corrosion on it a all. I have since fitted it to my jdm sti and hope to get a good few years out of it. Have found the quality very good. They also do full 3 inch systems, well worth asking them.

IPALMER 05 November 2010 11:36 PM

I've got H+S de-cat downpipe mated to Revolution 3" system

Perfect for me - quite quiet on tick-over / motorway / around town - screams like a motorbike on full chat :)

fordrsrickc 06 November 2010 01:33 AM

I have a RCM 3" system twinscroll which comprises of the 3" decat downpipe, silenced centre and team ice backbox very loud,.i actually removed my fujitsubo full one piece system 3" that tapers at the down pipe to 2.5" to mate to either the standard 2.5" downpipe or a decat downpipe or even buy an adaptor 2.5"-3". it is for sale in marketplace :thumb:

Cannon Fodder 06 November 2010 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by daz1968 (Post 9696748)
I had a H&S centre section on m wrx for 2+ years I removed when I sold the car, no corrosion on it a all. I have since fitted it to my jdm sti and hope to get a good few years out of it. Have found the quality very good. They also do full 3 inch systems, well worth asking them.

Originally Posted by IPALMER (Post 9696879)
I've got H+S de-cat downpipe mated to Revolution 3" system

Perfect for me - quite quiet on tick-over / motorway / around town - screams like a motorbike on full chat :)

I've sent Hayward & Scott an email with my requirements so I'll see what they can offer. :)

I have a mate with a Revolution system on his Hawkeye WRX and they again look good quality but they don't seem to offer a complete twin scroll system. :wonder:

Cannon Fodder 06 November 2010 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by fordrsrickc (Post 9697034)
I have a RCM 3" system twinscroll which comprises of the 3" decat downpipe, silenced centre and team ice backbox very loud,.i actually removed my fujitsubo full one piece system 3" that tapers at the down pipe to 2.5" to mate to either the standard 2.5" downpipe or a decat downpipe or even buy an adaptor 2.5"-3". it is for sale in marketplace :thumb:

Thanks for the offer but I'm really favouring the RCM system or a H & S system if they can make one that I want. :)

I think the Team Ice silencer would be too loud, I think I'll be going for a de-resonated centre section with a RCM standard silencer. :thumb:

LUCKO 06 November 2010 03:02 AM

mattybr5 has a very very sexy exhaust on his twinscroll, send him a pm iver never heard anything like it all i know is that its a ninja of some sort and its not droan its raw when on boost (like a motorbike) :D

Cannon Fodder 07 November 2010 01:25 PM

Anymore thoughts on the matter? :wonder:

I'm looking to order within the next fortnight. :D

kennyc 03 December 2010 08:46 AM

Did you get a new system?

SP STI 27 January 2011 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Cannon Fodder (Post 9699200)
Anymore thoughts on the matter? :wonder:

I'm looking to order within the next fortnight. :D

Hi mate

Any luck with your system? I am also looking for full 3" decat system for my twinscroll, but cant figure out what to go for. I want something that wont make my neighbours go mental and not drive me crazy on long runs. However, it can scream as much as it wants when i go for it.

Cheers :thumb:

GREGGYG 27 January 2011 10:55 PM

My Milltek is fine............so far. No problems at all.

Has yours actually failed in any way?

Cannon Fodder 28 January 2011 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by SP STI (Post 9846647)
Hi mate

Any luck with your system? I am also looking for full 3" decat system for my twinscroll, but cant figure out what to go for. I want something that wont make my neighbours go mental and not drive me crazy on long runs. However, it can scream as much as it wants when i go for it.

Cheers :thumb:

Originally Posted by GREGGYG (Post 9847203)
My Milltek is fine............so far. No problems at all.

Has yours actually failed in any way?

In the end I just replaced the rear silencer as the tail pipe was starting to pull away from the body of the silencer, after further examination the rest of the system was fine.

I picked up a new silencer at a very good price from Indigo-GT, my failure must have been an isolated one and I suppose was just one of those things. :)