ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Tax return online (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/857998-tax-return-online.html)

dpb 01 November 2010 11:06 AM

Tax return online

Never attempted it but thought i might at least have a look . 'My accountant' has always done it before ..
and i really dont know :o - but i assume must have done it online last year since i didnt shove my paperwrk at him till december

Would i now have to get all log in details off him ?? or can i just register me

hodgy0_2 01 November 2010 11:27 AM

if you want to di it yourself, you will need to register with the "Goverment Gateway" to get a user id and password etc

it takes a week to set up, so I would get a move on

but my personal experience in filling it in online has been very positive.

Don't wait till the last minute though -- the servers can get v busy

The beauty of the system is that you can do a bit at a time - whenever you have a spare half an hour - it save all your responses etc

David Lock 01 November 2010 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2 (Post 9687745)
if you want to di it yourself, you will need to register with the "Goverment Gateway" to get a user id and password etc

it takes a week to set up, so I would get a move on

but my personal experience in filling it in online has been very positive.

Don't wait till the last minute though -- the servers can get v busy

The beauty of the system is that you can do a bit at a time - whenever you have a spare half an hour - it save all your responses etc

I'm in a similar position to OP. Do they tell you how much you need to pay in Jan or do you have to work that out yourself? dl (self-employed).

hodgy0_2 01 November 2010 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 9687776)
I'm in a similar position to OP. Do they tell you how much you need to pay in Jan or do you have to work that out yourself? dl (self-employed).

The online software does it all for you -- tells you exactly how much to pay, and how they have calculated it.

also it tells you this before you submit it to the IR-- so if the final figure looks to high/low you can amend the figures (inputs) and see how it effects the final Taxes owed (to you or by you)

David Lock 01 November 2010 12:44 PM

Thanks for that - very helpful. d

dpb 01 November 2010 12:52 PM

Have registered now ,

hoping this doesnt preclude accountant taking once iv f**ed up lol

alcazar 01 November 2010 03:07 PM

Mate, if I can do it, ANYONE can, LOL:D

Just ensure that you DO get a confirmation e-mail from them once it's sent, or they won't believe you did it. Cue: two years of nasty letters each way and a supposed "fine" of £205:(

Then I read somehwere that the sytem saves what you do, so I went back two years, found it, re-sent it, and got the e-mail.
And because THEY actually owed US, they had to waive the fine too. Result:)

hodgy0_2 01 November 2010 03:20 PM

if i remember correctly, when you submit it, using the online software - you get an acceptance code appear on the webpage, print this

the email confirmation might be over receipt of payment - cant remember

just make sure you don't leave it to the wire, I try and get the return the previous week -- then get the paymrnt to them the folloiwng week

the servers can get busy, especially on the night of the 31st