ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   General Technical (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/)
-   -   Mods for a PPP Classic (https://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/857820-mods-for-a-ppp-classic.html)

Essexdon 30 October 2010 10:11 PM

Mods for a PPP Classic

Hi people, just bought a PPP classic, fully standard nothing moded on it in anyway.

Im only wondering what are simple but effective modds for it, not looking at spending silly money with upgraded turbos and pistons etc.

And from what i have read decatting, dump valves and k+n specials are the big no no...

any view will be helpful, ta :)

just123 30 October 2010 10:17 PM

Sell the ppp ECU worth around £300, and use the money to get a proper remap and other supporting mods, also get a standard ecu on ebay for around £30

f4la k 31 October 2010 10:45 AM

Need to know what year of classic it is. Uk or jap. Remember alot of classics cant be remapped without a motherboard or aftermarket ecu.

his-n-her-scoobs 31 October 2010 10:46 AM

That depends on the year. Standard MY97/98 ecu's can't be remapped and replacement ecu's are not cheap.

:)

TonyBurns 31 October 2010 11:00 AM

Well uk car if a PPP, dont know the year, would look at brakes as an upgrade, dont know what size wheels (could be standard 16's in which case you could be limited on disc size), but its not all about out and out performance, you need a well balanced car that stops as well as goes ;)

Tony:)

Essexdon 31 October 2010 09:36 PM

its a 98 uk car, cheers

his-n-her-scoobs 31 October 2010 10:53 PM

In that case can recommend in order of preference (assuming up to date on service and no running defects, worn bushes etc).

The later model four pot calipers and larger discs as a cheap and cost effective upgrade, around £200 for the complete set up off fleabay.

New set of genuine shocks from camskill £290 will restore the handling on a tired high miler

Full geometry set up, get them to dial in max allowed front neg camber and a touch of toe in, rear setting as standard, around £50 and worth every penny.

Decent rubber, Eagle F1's, Toyos, Vreddis and the like are popular on here, depending on your wallet

Braided brake hoses add more feel for another £50

Rear ventilated discs and calipers to replace tha standard solid set up can be had for about £70

Remove the backplates front and rear for free to aid cooling.

Done all the above on both mine and well happy, for the money spent.

Some people recommend thicker rear antiroll bars for around £150 but be carefull, reducing understeer by introducing rear end twitchyness doesn't suit everybodies driving style, especially in the wet.

Would not recommend K+N, front decat (mid was removed for PPP) as the Prodrive ECu don't like it, and as for dump valves......

All IMHO of course. Hope this helps

Essexdon 15 November 2010 11:09 PM

cheers mate thats great help :)

aggs 17 November 2010 03:08 PM

I had a PPP Classic,similar advice to previous reply
Good cheapish mod is go to Powerstation and get the up rated rear anti roll bar and bump steering mod.
Rear anti roll bar on middle seting not too stiff!
Whilst your there get the alignment done.
Transforms handling.

Handling before Power.

As stated below, shocks could be worn out on a high mileage car.

I agree stay clear of changing dump valves, k and n cone filters not a bolt and fit on a classic unless re-mapping and supporting mods,check threads on here for more details.

A good standard car will keep its value a bit better as well.

TonyBurns 17 November 2010 03:38 PM

The 97/98 PPP'd cars should have had a ramair filter in there anyway, you will have to check.

Tony:)

his-n-her-scoobs 20 November 2010 08:14 PM

Another mod I forgot to add is the throttle body coolant delete (free) and manifold isolator spacers (about £70 if you don't make them yourself). Reduce the amount of heat soak into the inlet manifold for little money.