ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Drivetrain (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/)
-   -   cleaned solenoid, boost still :( (https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain-11/85772-cleaned-solenoid-boost-still.html)

black knight 08 April 2002 01:47 PM

cleaned solenoid over the weekend but boost still stuck at 0.6-0.7bar.

93wrx. any hints or help?

EvoRSX 08 April 2002 02:21 PM

Did you clean the pipe to the solenoid as well. A restriction in this pipe could also cause you to have low boost.

Andy

black knight 08 April 2002 03:31 PM

yep. all parts cleaned thoroughly.

TonyBurns 08 April 2002 06:39 PM

Have you cleaned the pipes to the wastegate?
i had this problem, car boosted fine then just dropped off to 11psi, felt like a slug high up :( now she flies after having them cleaned by the dealer ;):D

Tony:D

tweenierob 08 April 2002 07:00 PM

got exactly the same problem, however - i disconnected the boost solenoid and fitted a bleed valve to replace the solenoid`....
AND IT STILL DIDNT BOOST!!!!!! whats all that about???
Rob

cryptwalk 08 April 2002 10:27 PM

Dude mines doing the same, mine is boosting at 0.5 bar! any more than that and i get backfire and engine overboost protection kicks in(revs drop to zero for 5 secs then kicks back in) even though it's nowhere near standerd boost[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]. Were having probs with it at the moment, changed the coil packs, cleaned plugs, new oil and filter still the same. Now i've bypassed the solinoid it's a bit better but still under standerd boost and slight hesitation under hard aceloration(sp?)

Tommorow the maf sensor and fuel filter and plugs are being changed see if that helps!

I'll keep you informed as it's not leaving the garage till it's sorted.;) Seems theres quite a few with the same problem.:eek:

dowser 09 April 2002 06:42 AM

How did you bypass the solenoid? If you run a hose directly between turbo and wastegate you'll see what pressure you wastegate spring is opening at. Then, if you're brave (and have a boost guage :)), remove the hose from the wastegate and block it off. Then do a very *gentle* power run and see if your boost rises above .5. Be aware, this is very dangerous, you have *no* boost control like this....but it will confirm/deny a boost solenoid problem. Don't even consider it if you've removed fuel cut (ie; have a superchip ;)) :D

Richard

Richard

cryptwalk 09 April 2002 09:57 AM

Removed solinoid and put 2 pipes into turbosport boost controller bleed valve type device. I did put pipe from turbo direct to actuator and it was opening the gate at under 0.5 bar! what does that say to you weak spring? the actuator is a uprated one supposedly which is mated to a apex turbo.

black knight 09 April 2002 10:17 AM

exactly same problems as all the above.

connected bleed valve to solenoid (the middle hose btw the top and bottom hoses) and nothing happens even if i turn it for quite a bit. turned off now to be safe.

will try to clean the hoses to wastegate and all other hoses again this weekend. can i spray the hoses with brake cleaner or do i use other kind of cleaners?

this is really disheartening when i see other running at more than 1 bar. all i want is 0.9 or perhaps 1 bar max (not greedy eh?)

can't think of any other methods to improve boost other than those expensive ecus and ebc's!!!

sigh...

john banks 09 April 2002 10:31 AM

Do 93 WRX really run more than about 10-11 PSI anyway in standard form?

black knight 09 April 2002 11:30 AM

remeber being told once that 93wrx should be abt 0.9bar
(psi?)

seems that most 93wrx i see from here running abt 0.6bar on average std.

HELLOM8 09 April 2002 12:44 PM

I clean my solenoid once a week at the moment, so I guess there is contamination at the other end of the pipes. Where is the wastegate, is it on the exhaust?.
Cheers.
Ian.

tweenierob 09 April 2002 05:55 PM

my car runs 11psi when it wants to lol, 94wrx, the wastegate is on the turbo, if you follow the hose from the boost solenoid to the actuator (on the turbo), this is a 'yo-yo' looking thing with a bar coming out of it where the hose connects... this is the wastegate actuator...
excuse the 'caveman' description but it is probably the best way to describe it......
Rob

cryptwalk 09 April 2002 08:29 PM

Bk remove the solinoid compleatly see if you can adjust the boost that way. BE VERY CAREFULL not to overboost it.

I belive wrx's boost at 0.7 to 0.8 bar in standerd form.

Bear in mond if the maf is dodgy this will reduce boost to around 0.5 bar! ;)

black knight 10 April 2002 09:50 AM

will try a dawes with the bleed valve and a uprated fuel regulator this weekend.

will keep all the old wrx members posted on the effects. cheers guys

tweenierob 10 April 2002 04:45 PM

let us know...
Cheers,
ROB

RobJenks 11 April 2002 01:01 PM

I don't have those problems- Boosting to 20 psi now with my VF22.
Awesome!