ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Do Microsoft own Linux? (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/857343-do-microsoft-own-linux.html)

Skoobie Dhu 27 October 2010 07:22 PM

Do Microsoft own Linux?

If not, why did they object, on a copywright basis, to a listing I had on Ebay for a USB memory stick with an Aspire One Linux recovery image?

I created the memory stick recovery image when I returned my Aspire One to factory settings, now I've sold the netbook, I thought I might as well shift the memory stick as I've nothing that can read it now it's formatted for Linux.

The Ebay advert had no mention of the word 'Microsoft' or any other MS products.

I thought Linux was open source? The USB memory stick is the only useful way to install the recovery image to the netbook.

I went through hell creating the memory stick recovery image - Aspire forget to mention that you shouldn't use a computer with a partitioned HDD - as you'll lose the 2nd partitioned drive - arghh.

Skoobie Dhu 27 October 2010 07:26 PM

Here's the Ebay msg - my listing no longer exists.

My name is Valerie and I?m happy to resolve your query about the removal
of your Acer USB stick listing (item no. 320608255455).

We understand it's very upsetting when you have a listing removed. eBay
has an obligation to remove items in certain circumstances.

In your case, Microsoft Corporation, an intellectual property rights
owner, sent us a signed legal statement telling us that your item
infringed their copyright, trademark or other rights. We were therefore
legally obliged to remove the listing. As a result of this we've
credited all fees associated with this listing to your eBay account.

We are not experts in the rights of third parties and therefore not in a
position to make a judgment on whether an item is authorised or not.

To find out more about the rights owner please read their "About Me"
page. Copy this link into a new browser window, choose the item type,
then click the rights owner's link:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/vero/participants.html

If you think your listing was wrongly removed (or if the rights owner
doesn't have an About Me page), please contact them directly at this
email address:

softwareprotection@mm-microsoft.com

jura11 27 October 2010 10:08 PM

Linux is open source and again eBay is bad idea(i have same problems selling some items on eBay),try sell on eBay used Garmin and Garmin you suspend for 7 days(due copyrights and trademark).

jura11 27 October 2010 10:12 PM

Here is something from Wikipedia

Linux and most GNU software are licensed under the GNU General Public License (GPL). The GPL requires that anyone who distributes Linux must make the source code (and any modifications) available to the recipient under the same terms. Other key components of a software system may use other licenses; many libraries use the GNU Lesser General Public License (LGPL), a more permissive variant of the GPL, and the X Window System uses the MIT License.
Torvalds states that the Linux kernel will not move from version 2 of the GPL to version 3. He specifically dislikes some provisions in the new license which prohibit the use of the software in digital rights management,and it would also be impractical to obtain permission from all the copyright holders, who number in the thousands.
A 2001 study of Red Hat Linux 7.1 found that this distribution contained 30 million source lines of code Using the Constructive Cost Model, the study estimated that this distribution required about eight thousand man-years of development time. According to the study, if all this software had been developed by conventional proprietary means, it would have cost about $1.36 billion (2010 US dollars) to develop in the United States.

Miniman 28 October 2010 10:56 AM

As I understand it you could not sell the Linux source, so the objection could be that you are selling Linux (ie not the USB hardware itself).

The note does say that "In your case, Microsoft Corporation, an intellectual property rights owner, sent us a signed legal statement telling us that your item
infringed their copyright, trademark or other rights"

I guess the "other rights" part would therefore cover the selling of Linux. It's all a bit tenuous and simply smacks of big corporation versus little man and a third party not wanting to get involved.