ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Android apps (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/857337-android-apps.html)

Jamescsti 27 October 2010 06:57 PM

Android apps

Just got a shiney new Desire HD,
Any Android users got any tips on good apps to download? (I have angry birds by the way)

hutton_d 27 October 2010 07:07 PM

Just got one myself. Go check out ... http://androidforums.com/ ..., more particularly ... http://androidforums.com/htc-desire-hd/

Got Angry Birds myself. Great that it's free on Android and *others* have to pay .... :lol: My lad loves it anyway.

Get 3G Watchdog to keep track of your data usage, and make sure you check out all apps. already loaded for how often they connect to the interwebbie thing. It can add up very quickly! I set mine to have wifi on all the time. If I'm at home it automatically uses this but when I go out of range it switches to 3G/2G/whatever. (Uses the fastest on by default).

Other than that, I'm just getting used to what the default stuff does before I download loads of stuff.

How are you finding it so far?

Dave

Jamescsti 27 October 2010 07:09 PM

Barely had to play with it so far, going to charge it over night to give the battery a good start. Big leap from the blackberry and the touch screen is completely new to me, I've also set Wifi up for when i'm at home.

Ray T 27 October 2010 07:16 PM

if your charged for voice mail, look at http://www.hullomail.com/uk/android.html using this on my desire to keep t-mobile out of that loop.
Also skype became available this month

Skoobie Dhu 27 October 2010 07:41 PM

beebplayer, music junk, zedge, opera mini, es file explorer, google sky map and google sat nav (maps), snowstorm for starters. Talking tomcat is silly, but good if you've young kids. Radiotime for internet radio as well.

hutton_d 27 October 2010 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Skoobie Dhu (Post 9679549)
.. google sat nav (maps), ...

The Desire HD has Tomtom maps loaded by default so you don't have to pull them down everytime you use them. You can then use either, Google navigation with them for free, except for any data usage or, pay for the Tomtom navigation upgrade. Not tested it out much yet but the Google nav. works.

Dave

mart360 27 October 2010 08:33 PM

Still waiting for my galaxy s to arrive :(

Unprecedented demand on Voda means its out of stock

looks like next week now :(

Mart

stevebt 27 October 2010 08:58 PM

The android market doesn'thave many good games but other developers have them :) I got Asphalt 5 for free from Samsung and NOVA and Operation Sandstorm are really good. I downloaded a few emulators from the market then added a few thousand Roms to my phone so I wasn't short of games :D

Bearo 27 October 2010 09:26 PM

So jealous! I got a desire and really want the HD but gonna try n wait for next year for dual core cpu's, 1gb ram & android 3.0.

Jamescsti 28 October 2010 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 9679677)

Mart

I'm with Vodafone, they are a nighrmare currently for sending put new handsets, had to make three calls to complain and an email before I got the Desire HD, thats after I pre ordered and paid for the privellidge!
Only bonus of it was got a months free line rental and the handset is not branded so will work on any network

Jaybird-UK 28 October 2010 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by hutton_d (Post 9679455)
Got Angry Birds myself. Great that it's free on Android and *others* have to pay .... :lol: My lad loves it anyway.

Have you played Angry Birds Halloween? oh no, wait, 2nd class phone owners wont be getting it :P

Ant 28 October 2010 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 9679677)

Mart

go to phones4u they'll have them on vodafone my wifes on voda with her galaxy s bonus is it doesn't have voda branding on it

Silver Angel 28 October 2010 10:39 PM

i cant get angry birds on my android phone :( got the xperia x8

mart360 28 October 2010 10:53 PM

Just had a mail from Voda,

Phone arrives tomorrow :)

Mart

ScoobyWon't 28 October 2010 11:04 PM

How much are you all paying for your Desire HDs?

bigsinky 29 October 2010 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't (Post 9681849)

free on voda @ £35pm/24m contract

bigsinky 29 October 2010 09:17 AM

paper toss, jewels, moron test, fruit ninja, live hold em, google earth, gps tracker

Lydia72 29 October 2010 10:47 AM

Free on T-Mobile, £25 month contract (did it through Quidco so get some back too).

Jamescsti 29 October 2010 03:18 PM

Paid to upgrade early on Voda so 110
Otherwise its free

Fulmentaljack3t 29 October 2010 03:26 PM

i've got a desire and really dislike the google market place and the apps, not s good as apples

hutton_d 29 October 2010 08:22 PM

Vodafone upgrade but done at Carphone Warehouse so the phone was unbranded and unlocked. But £19.99 for the phone and £30/month for 24 months.

Dave

hutton_d 29 October 2010 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK (Post 9681195)
Have you played Angry Birds Halloween? oh no, wait, 2nd class phone owners wont be getting it :P

:hjtwofing :hjtwofing :hjtwofing

Dave

The Dogs B******s 29 October 2010 08:29 PM

Only had our HTC Desire HD's since monday,and they're both going back:mad:

Lydia72 29 October 2010 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s (Post 9683483)
Only had our HTC Desire HD's since monday,and they're both going back:mad:

Why?

The Dogs B******s 29 October 2010 10:02 PM

The proximity sensors dont work,so when you phone someone the screen goes blank and the phone freezes.If you get an answering maching the only way of stopping the call is to take the battery out.

stevebt 29 October 2010 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Fulmentaljack3t (Post 9682821)
i've got a desire and really dislike the google market place and the apps, not s good as apples

The android market is really poor as compared with the iphone market but then how many iphones and ipod touchs are out there :) If your after a phone purely for games nothing can toch the iphone! I chose to get a galaxy s and sell my iphone for and buy a 32gig ipod touch ;) I have a choice of both games and my galaxy s has 40gig of memory as I have a nice memory card installed ;)

hutton_d 29 October 2010 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s (Post 9683634)
The proximity sensors dont work,so when you phone someone the screen goes blank and the phone freezes.If you get an answering maching the only way of stopping the call is to take the battery out.

Should have gone over to http://androidforums.com/htc-desire-hd/ ... apparently just blowing on the sensor sorts it. Did you install the OTA update? Never seen the problem on mine.

Dave

mart360 29 October 2010 11:34 PM

Just playing with my galaxy S now.

So far so good, ;) just chucking video files & audio files at it to see what it can / cant do ;)

Mart

JackClark 29 October 2010 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by mart360 (Post 9683804)
Just playing with my galaxy S now.

So far so good, ;) just chucking video files & audio files at it to see what it can / cant do ;)

Make sure you let us know what it can't do? You do such a good job with the iPhone.

Luminous 30 October 2010 12:01 AM

But it can do everything, its not handcuffed like an iphone.