ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Dispatches - Iraq's Secret War Files (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/857261-dispatches-iraqs-secret-war-files.html)

Harryr34 27 October 2010 05:47 AM

Dispatches - Iraq's Secret War Files

Did anyone watch Dispatches on monday?

I just finished watching it on 4od, I found it to be very disturbing, the number of civilian casualties and the American soldiers/ Iraqi forces abusing the prisoners is despicable!

Heres a link to the channel 4od site if anyone needs it: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/d...es/4od#3134558

Harry

boomer 27 October 2010 08:02 AM

Yup,

it was quite shocking, especially the "maps" covered in dots to show people who had been killed - every populated area was completely covered. Not just every street, but every street corner :eek:

The Americans hadn't got a clue what they were getting themselves into and continued to believe that they could "win" simply by having massively superior firepower. Even as they pulled out of a destroyed country they truly believed that they had "won" :(

I was also surprised that Dispatches was shown before the watershed (20:00 - 21:00) as there were some pretty graphic images. It was important to show these images though to drive home what a bunch of lying murdering bullies many of the Merkins were.

The sound bites from Bush and Bliar were something else - just how remote from reality could they be :mad:

mb

Leslie 27 October 2010 08:30 AM

Those two had their own personal agenda and the problem of the casualties and the destruction of the country was of no concern to them.

The number of people killed there now now through terrorist style activity is 10 people per day!

They have a great deal on their conciences, if they had any!

Les :(

David Lock 27 October 2010 10:28 AM

Yes it was very grim and I suppose a reality check on what war is really like. I imagine similar or worse things happened in Vietnam especially with the Viet Cong around. The Iraqi on Iraqi treatment just shows the huge gulf between cultures.

I found the USA and British Govt reactions to the release of the documents pretty disgusting. Not a word of regret but just condemning the reports as trying to compromise their forces on the ground (which may have an element of truth of course). The Iraqi reaction was one of "well what did you expect".

And now we have Gorbachev who pulled the Russians out of Afghanistan 20 years a go saying the West will never win in Afghanistan which, IMHO, has been blindingly obvious for a long time. Will we never learn?

dl

Leslie 27 October 2010 10:56 AM

Quite so.

Les

Martin2005 27 October 2010 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9678441)
Those two had their own personal agenda and the problem of the casualties and the destruction of the country was of no concern to them.

The number of people killed there now now through terrorist style activity is 10 people per day!

They have a great deal on their conciences, if they had any!

Les :(

Les

What 'personal agenda' do you mean?:wonder:

Leslie 28 October 2010 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Martin2005 (Post 9678888)
Les

What 'personal agenda' do you mean?:wonder:

I am sure you can work it out Martin.

Les

Martin2005 28 October 2010 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9680704)
I am sure you can work it out Martin.

Les

No I can't, that's why I asked:)

Leslie 28 October 2010 01:54 PM

Oh yes, I forgot that Billy Liar can do no wrong in your eyes Martin. You have to look at what he and his great mate got out of it all.

Les

Martin2005 28 October 2010 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Leslie (Post 9680886)
Oh yes, I forgot that Billy Liar can do no wrong in your eyes Martin. You have to look at what he and his great mate got out of it all.

Les

Les, as with the other thread; if you're going to make a sweeping statement back it up with some facts. Don't JUST have a go at me, answer the bloody question man!!!

You really are hard work at the moment :)

Leslie 29 October 2010 02:37 PM

I spent a long time being ordered about Martin. It does not work any more. I gave you the clues anyway.

Les