ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   At last someone has come forward and said it. (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/857254-at-last-someone-has-come-forward-and-said-it.html)

CrisPDuk 27 October 2010 12:05 AM

At last someone has come forward and said it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11632944

:thumb:

I bet he gets lambasted for it :rolleyes:

wayne9t9 27 October 2010 01:10 AM

Its true though...

Lady Luck 27 October 2010 07:01 AM

They are always a pain in the arse when you have to half strip off just to get through security. I think they are there half for real safety and half for passenger reassurance. But at the end of the day, if someone wants to get bombs or drugs on to a plane... they will... somehow some way, they will.

I flew from Manchester last month and I was proper worried about going through those full body scanners.... I hadn't realised they were random. I didnt have to go through it... all that worry for nowt! My fella went through one and looked funny doing all the moves they tell you!

Flying back from Africa their security was pretty non existant.. the man on xray was sitting smoking... but had a big gun. Lax security checks... but they all had big shooty guns :lol1:

AndyC_772 27 October 2010 07:21 AM

He also criticised the US for imposing increased checks on US-bound flights but not on its own domestic services.
It's a cultural thing; Americans always insist on being treated "like Americans" - which means (to them) the presumption that they're hard-working, innocent people who should never have to be treated with any suspicion.

Like they don't have actual criminals in America...:cuckoo:

Leslie 27 October 2010 07:45 AM

They always work by numbers anyway.

Les

Snazy 27 October 2010 10:39 AM

You only have to see the security as a whole at Punta Cana airport on the Dom Republic to reaslise how lax the security can safely be at an airport.

I agree it all needs to be one sensible process

BOB.T 27 October 2010 11:26 AM

I'm all for giving the US a hard time on this! :D American security make you feel as welcome as a fart in a space suit! :(

I'd also like to thank security at San Francisco for removing my, specially bought, US security approved padlock thing...and putting inside my bag after they'd had a rummage through my stuff! Oh and thanks for not zipping it back up properly too! Twunts :rolleyes:

Lady Luck 27 October 2010 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by BOB.T (Post 9678667)
I'm all for giving the US a hard time on this! :D American security make you feel as welcome as a fart in a space suit! :(

I'd also like to thank security at San Francisco for removing my, specially bought, US security approved padlock thing...and putting inside my bag after they'd had a rummage through my stuff! Oh and thanks for not zipping it back up properly too! Twunts :rolleyes:

I offered all the customs guards some M&Ms when I was in the 2hr queue to get through SF airport after getting off the plane. I think they thought I was trying to poison them... miserable yanks :lol1:

Tidgy 27 October 2010 12:39 PM

the thing that i dont get is why the americans are so up in arms about the whole incoming flights thing. werent most of the 9/11 planes internal flights?

Terminator X 27 October 2010 12:57 PM

My view is that they should minimize security ie just do the important stuff that could spot a bomb. Chances of a bomb going off are remote - when did it last happen vs millions of flights a year? Huge waste of time IMHO.

TX.

Kieran_Burns 27 October 2010 01:48 PM

Bruce Schneier is your man for this kind of thing. He has a phrase "Security Theatre"

http://www.schneier.com/blog/archive..._security.html

is an excellent essay on the subject

tony de wonderful 27 October 2010 03:49 PM

At worse it is a placebo at best just shutting the door to very easy and obvious terrorist attacks.

I probably average a flight once a week, have seen loads of security practices from the ridiculous to the ok.

The US tends to be very military like and thorough to be honest, as good as you see.

CrisPDuk 27 October 2010 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tidgy (Post 9678820)
the thing that i dont get is why the americans are so up in arms about the whole incoming flights thing. werent all of the 9/11 planes internal flights?

EFA ;)

There had been many warning prior to the attack that American domestic flights were wide open to hijacking, and they were all ignored by the FAA in favour of not inconveniencing passengers :rolleyes:

From what I've been told by members of our staff who still fly over there, things haven't changed much in that respect either :eek:

If you look back to the immediate aftermath, all the security alerts issued by the Americans caused stoppages and delays only to non-US owned carriers :cuckoo: