ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Computer & Technology Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/)
-   -   Slimline PS3 Failure (https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-and-technology-related-34/857230-slimline-ps3-failure.html)

Cannon Fodder 26 October 2010 09:10 PM

Slimline PS3 Failure

Just posting to find out if any other PS3 owners have suffered hard drive failure :brickwall, I fired up my PS3 on Sunday and what do I find but the dreaded hard drive corrupted message. :(

I contacted PS support on Monday and got a case number, tried the safe mode start and attempted a file system recovery but the hard drive is f*cked.

Tonight I rang PS support to be told that they could send out a refurbished PS3 at a cost of £130, which I thought was a bit steep as the machine is 12 days out of warranty. :cry:

I always thought that Sony's aftercare was second to none but obviously I was wrong.

I wouldn't mind but I'm a long standing PS customer having owned two PS1's, two PS2's, a PSP and this is my second PS3 having owned one of the first 60GB models which a mate nagged me to sell to him so he could use his PS2 games on it.

My PS3 is always shut down properly and so I can see no real reason for the HD to fail other than a poor quality component. :eek:

The blasted machine is only now 12 days out of the warranty period, so should I very nicely but firmly ring up Sony and give them both barrels OR get the machine repaired by an independent repairer? :wonder:

Any similar experiences or advice welcomed. :thumb:

jura11 26 October 2010 10:04 PM

Hi matey if is just HDD,buy new HDD(replacing HDD is easy),but i think you are lost your saves and etc.
And about poor quality HDD(i have before one HDD from WD which fail after few weeks),its almost impossible have 100% good quality on every component

Ant 26 October 2010 10:51 PM

Just change the hdd yourself easy thing to do

Cannon Fodder 26 October 2010 11:00 PM

Thanks for the responses, I think I'll order a new HD any recommendations?

I think I'll increase the size as well, 500gb should be big enough.

I've had WD HD's fail in the past myself - WD both of them so I won't be getting one of those, Seagate, Samsung and Hitachi drives have never let me down.

Cannon Fodder 01 November 2010 10:45 PM

Well the new hard drive arrived today - Samsung 500GB and I installed it, formatted it and installed the latest software, it only took 20 minutes in total. What a complete doodle to do. :D

The only bad thing is of course I've lost all my installed media, games and game saves. :brickwall

Darc174 05 November 2010 08:39 PM

When you buy a new hd how do you install the ps3 software on a blank hd?

Darc

scoobyverysoon 05 November 2010 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Darc174 (Post 9696562)
When you buy a new hd how do you install the ps3 software on a blank hd?

Darc

you put the firmware you want on a usb stick then when the new drive is in the ps3 power on with usb also in ps3 and it goes to format the drive it will then load the firmware off the stick and your ps3 will be back to normal